Sleep Timing Matter?

i know you should be getting as much right as possible and before 12. but i was just wondering the side effects of sleeping really late but still getting 8-10 hours of sleep.

I also have a question about sleep, I just got put on the graveyard shift (11pm-7am) and I was wondering if the optimal time to sleep would be before or after

If you do some research on circadian rhythms, you’ll find that optimal sleep time is 8-9hrs between 10pm and 8am.

Most nocturnal hormones are tied to sleep regardless of time of day, but a few (don’t remember off the top of my head, but insulin sensitivity is one) are strongly associated with daily rhythms.

I’ve also read that “day sleepers” often take longer to enter deep slow-wave sleep and stay in it for shorter periods of time. If true for you, this is very very bad over the long term.

HOWEVER, this is minutia for the average person. Get your 8hrs when you can. “Day sleepers” biggest problems are usually finding a cool, quiet, dark “cave” to sleep. Tips on how to create this environment have been covered in other threads…you may want to do a search for it.

I worked a night shift over my winter break, it sucks.

I’d work from like 8pm to 5am.

I’d go hit the gym after work, get home, PWO shake and bed.

One of those eye covers is a life saver if you’re trying to sleep during the day.

If you’re working a night job and doing it often, I was working a 40 hour week, just start day sleeping, it’s easier to do everyday than just days you’re working.

I made decent strength gains over the break, had trouble putting on weight, but that’s because it was a manual labor job.

As long as you’re sleeping you’ll be okay in the short term.