T Nation

Sleep: The Cheapest Supplement?

I can't help but get excited when looking at Anaconda and all these other things that are being added to T-Nation, but the truth is that I can't afford to pay for much more than creatine and regular whey protein. So basically I looked at all this stuff Thib was writing, and got in the mood to do something different and better, but I wasn't sure what that would be because I couldn't afford the supplements.

I thought for a while and looked around for different things, but I struggled to think of something drastically better than what I was already doing that wouldn't cost much more, so I dissapointedly began to believe I was just going to have to go back to doing what I've been doing.

Then I tiredly thought about sleep. That was it! Sleep! I don't really know what my sleeping is like, but I know it could use some improvement. Say somebody was getting 6-7 hours of sleep a night, but then began getting 9-10 hours of sleep. Wouldn't that have as much or more effect than any supplement, and for free?

8-9 hours is ideal if possible. And all those supplements mean absolutely jack shit. All the hardcore dudes for the last 5o fuckin years never had that crap. What on earth makes you think most of that stuff is anything more than something to motivate you? You feel me? Creatine may have some use. Protein of any kind is beneficial/essential. Besides that, it’s a load of crap. It’s all about time. You need time to get jacked, its measured in YEARS. Not days and weeks.If it were possible to add 5 pounds to your bench a week that’d be 260 pounds a year… so ya, if that’s true we’re all benching 900, right? Come on dude. Time. Food. Lift. Period.

8-9 hours is ideal if possible. And all those supplements mean absolutely jack shit. All the hardcore dudes for the last 5o fuckin years never had that crap. What on earth makes you think most of that stuff is anything more than something to motivate you? You feel me? Creatine may have some use. Protein of any kind is beneficial/essential. Besides that, it’s a load of crap. It’s all about time. You need time to get jacked, its measured in YEARS. Not days and weeks.If it were possible to add 5 pounds to your bench a week that’d be 260 pounds a year… so ya, if that’s true we’re all benching 900, right? Come on dude. Time. Food. Lift. Period.

Recently I was getting maybe 6 hours of sleep a night, my workout were lacking and overall I felt extremely fatigued throughout the day. I increased my sleep to about 10 hours a day and felt significant improvement in my workouts.

There are some natural supplements you can buy over the counter such as melatonin as well as other sleep aids but melatonin seemed to work for me when I had it. I can’t say it will work for everyone but it improved my quality of sleep and it worked night after night.

[quote]Eielson wrote:

Then I tiredly thought about sleep. That was it! Sleep! I don’t really know what my sleeping is like, but I know it could use some improvement. Say somebody was getting 6-7 hours of sleep a night, but then began getting 9-10 hours of sleep. Wouldn’t that have as much or more effect than any supplement, and for free?[/quote]

Well not necessarily. Some people only need 7 hours of sleep a night to feel and perform at their best; while others may need up to 9 hours (more than this however would make most people feel sluggish). You see, when it comes to sleep more is not necessarily better. You need to experiment a little to find how many hours of sleep YOU NEED every night.

However, it seems that simply getting 7-9 hours of sleep each night is not the only thing that matters. According to many exercise and nutrition experts (including Charles Poliquin) if you consistently stay up past 10:30 p.m., you are destined to have imbalances between your stress hormones (they will be high) and your growth and repair hormones (they will be low).

Sleep is free unless you oversleep and lose your job. Then it’s got a significant opportunity cost.

[quote]VonStinkle wrote:
8-9 hours is ideal if possible. And all those supplements mean absolutely jack shit. All the hardcore dudes for the last 5o fuckin years never had that crap. What on earth makes you think most of that stuff is anything more than something to motivate you? You feel me?

Creatine may have some use. Protein of any kind is beneficial/essential. Besides that, it’s a load of crap. It’s all about time. You need time to get jacked, its measured in YEARS. Not days and weeks.If it were possible to add 5 pounds to your bench a week that’d be 260 pounds a year… so ya, if that’s true we’re all benching 900, right? Come on dude. Time. Food. Lift. Period.[/quote]

Church.