Sleep Recovery ZMA

Good. In case you didn’t know (or your bottle of ZMA didn’t inform you), calcium interferes with zinc absorption.

^ Thanks Calypso.

Ponce - I’m usually tired at night and have no problem getting to sleep. Sometimes working out late will get me all wired up again. Never been to a sleep clinic but that would be interesting. Maybe I am packing a lot of REM in a very short time period.

5.5 hours again last night folks.

Good work powderpuff.
Do you find that your dreams are more vivid when you take ZMA?
tweet tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Good work powderpuff.
tweet tweet[/quote]

Hey Bird. Thanks. I seldom remember my dreams so I don’t know. Are you having particularly psychedelic dreams on the ZMA?

I have noticed more sleep disturbance if I drop weight. As an aside, last summer, I went down to 106, and I wasn’t sleeping much. I’m at 113, 15% BF right now, so that shouldn’t be the problem.

Last night I came home from the gym exhausted, popped two ZMA, took a warm bath, and got 6 hours.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Good work powderpuff.
tweet tweet[/quote]

Hey Bird. Thanks. I seldom remember my dreams so I don’t know. Are you having particularly psychedelic dreams on the ZMA?

I have noticed more sleep disturbance if I drop weight. As an aside, last summer, I went down to 106, and I wasn’t sleeping much. I’m at 113, 15% BF right now, so that shouldn’t be the problem.

Last night I came home from the gym exhausted, popped two ZMA, took a warm bath, and got 6 hours. [/quote]

Hi powderpuff. For the first few nights I had some crazy dreams. Although last night I didnt.
Last night I came home from soccer training, which wasnt an intense session. Earlier in the day I did my bench/pull up workout, so that made me tired.
I took 3 ZMA and got 6.5 hours straight, and didnt wake up at “half time” like I usually do. So Im happy.
tweet tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Update:
Last night was my 3rd night in a row that I took 3 tablets of ZMA. Recieved 6 hours of sleep, felt like another hour would of been good.
tweet tweet[/quote]

How’s it been working out for ya?

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Update:
Last night was my 3rd night in a row that I took 3 tablets of ZMA. Recieved 6 hours of sleep, felt like another hour would of been good.
tweet tweet[/quote]

How’s it been working out for ya?[/quote]

Worked well for the first 3 nights, although last night(the 4th night) I skipped back into bad habits, and I woke up at 4 after getting to sleep at about 11. Probally my fault as yesterday(rest day) I had 2 coffees, and left the TV on while I was sleeping.
tweet tweet

I’m also taking ZMA and Melatonin for the last 7 months: 3 caps of ZMA + 1 tablet of Melatonin 1mg, both from NOW. I wake up early in the morning 5 days a week (4:50 AM), cause i begin to work at 6 AM. I’m working out from 5 to 6 PM, and go to bed between 9 and 10 PM. Most of the days i wake up quite fresh, but 7 hours of sleep aren’t enough for me. When not working, i usualy sleep 8-10 hours.

p.s.: didn’t take any break from this supps

Hi Peeps! It’s almost 3:00 am here. What better time to update a sleep disorder thread!

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

Data so far - with ZMA dosage
4/12 - 2 ZMA - 6 hours
4/13 - 1 ZMA - 6 hours
4/14 - 1 ZMA 4.5 hours
4/15 1 ZMA 5.5 hours
4/16 1 ZMA - 6 hours
4/17 - Will go up to 2 caps

[/quote]

More Data with 2 caps ZMA - Hours of sleep
4/19 - 5.5
4/20 - 6
4/21 - 5.5
4/22 - 6.5
2/23 - 5
2/24 - 5.5
2/25 - 4.5
2/26 6.5
2/27 - 7
2/28- 5.5
2/29 - 6

It’s been just over 2 weeks. I think it’s safe to say that ZMA is probably not going to dramatically change my sleep patterns. I have been trying harder to make myself go back to sleep, so I think this is actually good sleep for me. There’s quite a few 6 or 6.5 nights up there so that’s good. I’d probably feel better with a good night of at least 8 hours about now though.

My current vitamins already have quite a bit of zinc and vit B. I suspect that I’m chronically low on Magnesium so I’m planning to finish off this bottle of ZMA and then if there’s no change, I may just supplement Magnesium going forward, and maybe try melatonin next.

How are the rest of you vampires doin’? Personally, I’m glad Buffy has been retired.

Try again with the picture up there.

^^^ You can bite me anytime ! :wink:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
^^^ You can bite me anytime ! ;)[/quote]

How about if this guy shows up?

I think he’s kinda cute. LOL!

Are you sleeping lately?

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
^^^ You can bite me anytime ! ;)[/quote]

How about if this guy shows up?

I think he’s kinda cute. LOL!

Are you sleeping lately? [/quote]

Him come to MY house? With all the garlic I have in my Italian kitchen? He would never get passed the sidewalk.

It’s so so for me, last night was awesome but it’s give and take. I found out Olivia’s real name today, and it’s not even close to Olivia LOL :slight_smile:

Since it’s been a while since I posted my “Knock you the fuck out” sleep routine I’ll update it here, y’all can/should try some/all of these. I don’t use all of them every night but when combined I’m out like a light.

ZMA.
5-HTP (or L-Tryptophan)–>converted to Serotonin.
Glycine–>inhibitory neurotransmitter (basically makes it harder for your brain to be as active)
GABA–> Same thing (Benzos act on GABA A receptors, GHB acts on GABA B).
Chamomile tea.
Valerian root.
Melatonin.

GABA isn’t supposed to cross the blood/brain barrier so I doubt its efficacy all on its own but it’s in my ZMA.

Z-12 works very well also. I don’t add it to the above because there’s some ingredient redundancy.

Personally I prefer going to be with at least a partially full stomach, too.

Non-drug stuff:

Breathe right strips (WIN for folks with allergies).
Warm shower/bath (epsom salts).
PITCH BLACK room. Put electrical tape over things to keep the light down.
Good bed/sheets/pillow top (if you like that kinda thing) (duh).
Minimal electronic devices.
One of those alarms that uses light and brightens slowly. Doesn’t help with sleep but makes waking up a lot easier with the aforementioned pitch black room.

Maximus - I’m glad you are at least getting some decent sleep sometimes. Don’t tell me she’s a Gertrude.

Ghost - Wow, thanks for posting. You’ve obviously got this down to a science. Looks like you’ve tried everything short of elephant tranquilizers. :wink:

I’ll look into some of your sleep supplements. I honestly hadn’t given this much thought until I realized that I might be shorting my GH and recovery. I’ve known about the tryptophan and melatonin but haven’t tried either yet.

About going to bed with something in the belly, I had been eating a few nuts and egg whites before bed to assure I wouldn’t wake up hungry. I stopped that since I was trying to take the ZMA on an empty stomach.

How long after the last meal can you consider your stomach to be “empty”?
I usually have my hot chocolate at 8, and drop my ZMAs at 9.
tweet tweet

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
ZMA.
5-HTP (or L-Tryptophan)–>converted to Serotonin.
Glycine–>inhibitory neurotransmitter (basically makes it harder for your brain to be as active)
GABA–> Same thing (Benzos act on GABA A receptors, GHB acts on GABA B).
Chamomile tea.
Valerian root.
Melatonin.[/quote]…and Garlic Extract.
Been using it on-and-off for about 10 years (with meals, between meals… doesn’t really matter)

Works very well.

[quote]theBird wrote:
How long after the last meal can you consider your stomach to be “empty”?
I usually have my hot chocolate at 8, and drop my ZMAs at 9.
tweet tweet[/quote]

Depends on what you eat, proteins and fats take a while to exit the stomach, it would be easier to pop your ZMA 30 mins before your last meal. The ZMA will probably clear by then, but a meal wouldn’t.