Sleep Patterns & Feeling Normal

I have no idea why this happens but once in a while like last week I will play hockey at midnight 2 days in a row usaully fri and sat night then on sun no matter how much i sleep im so tired and it takes so long like 2 days prob to feel normal again. Why does this happen is it because of sleep paterns and if so how can i help it?

Stop playing hockey at midnight.

[quote]Shadow Hunter36 wrote:
Stop playing hockey at midnight.[/quote]

sorry to say sometimes its the only option for more practice

It can take 48-72 hours for your sleep patterns to return to normal once they are disturbed. Your midnight hockey sessions might be interrupting your sleep because your cortisol is high after a hockey session, which is intended to give you energy. Like previously mentioned, you may want to rethink your late night hockey.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
It can take 48-72 hours for your sleep patterns to return to normal once they are disturbed. Your midnight hockey sessions might be interrupting your sleep because your cortisol is high after a hockey session, which is intended to give you energy. Like previously mentioned, you may want to rethink your late night hockey. [/quote]

o shit well that sucks, what is my peri game supplementation is in check and im taking daily supps to limit cortisol than would it help or no? also what is the diffrence when your up late on the weekends but just not doing anything like sports or working out?

[quote]crod266 wrote:
sorry to say sometimes its the only option for more practice[/quote]

Totally understandable. You have to make the choice of practicing or being well rested then. If something is affecting you in a negative way you need to stop doing it. It’s like asking how to stop the pain each time I purposely hit my thumb with a hammer.

I’m kind of the opposite. I’ve been getting 4-5 hours of sleep a night because of school, the gym, and other shit and I feel fine every day. I know it’s bad, but I’m making gains and feel fine, so whatever.

I fell asleep at my desk doing history at like 1:30 last night, woke up at 3, finished, then slept until 5:30 and went to school. I felt fine today and finally broke plateaus on flat, incline, decline, and flys.

I sleep like 8-10 hours a night on the weekends, but I sleep from around 3-5am to whenever I wake up by lunch/dinner time. It works out, so whatever.

I have a theory for this phenomenon! So… tiredness is the body telling you to conserve energy because it doesn’t have any to spare; it’s telling you to not do things you normally would do, right? OK.

So, my theory is that my body has found some hidden backup reserve of energy, probably some organ, and I’m running on borrowed time.

I have no scientific evidence to back up this theory. In fact, I really have no idea what the hell I’m talking about.

[quote]Artem wrote:
I’m kind of the opposite. I’ve been getting 4-5 hours of sleep a night because of school, the gym, and other shit and I feel fine every day. I know it’s bad, but I’m making gains and feel fine, so whatever.

I fell asleep at my desk doing history at like 1:30 last night, woke up at 3, finished, then slept until 5:30 and went to school. I felt fine today and finally broke plateaus on flat, incline, decline, and flys.

I sleep like 8-10 hours a night on the weekends, but I sleep from around 3-5am to whenever I wake up by lunch/dinner time. It works out, so whatever.

I have a theory for this phenomenon! So… tiredness is the body telling you to conserve energy because it doesn’t have any to spare; it’s telling you to not do things you normally would do, right? OK.

So, my theory is that my body has found some hidden backup reserve of energy, probably some organ, and I’m running on borrowed time.

I have no scientific evidence to back up this theory. In fact, I really have no idea what the hell I’m talking about.[/quote]

I used to think the same thing - but it’s weird, even though I don’t necessarily feel tired on 4 hours, I feel myself suffering in other areas. Most notably I wont be able to think on my feet as quickly as I would normally.

I could still do things like homework and tests - but my ability to focus on things that are quickly changing like conversations or people suffers a lot. This is why I always try and get my 8 hours.

There ARE people out there who are accustomed to couple hours of sleep a night. I wonder, if these people are just genetically gifted, or if they have just forced their bodies to adapt.

[quote]nowakc wrote:
Artem wrote:

I have no scientific evidence to back up this theory. In fact, I really have no idea what the hell I’m talking about.

I used to think the same thing - but it’s weird, even though I don’t necessarily feel tired on 4 hours, I feel myself suffering in other areas. Most notably I wont be able to think on my feet as quickly as I would normally.

I could still do things like homework and tests - but my ability to focus on things that are quickly changing like conversations or people suffers a lot. This is why I always try and get my 8 hours.

There ARE people out there who are accustomed to couple hours of sleep a night. I wonder, if these people are just genetically gifted, or if they have just forced their bodies to adapt.[/quote]

I see what your saying but its not really the same thing. The reason is because I get enight sleep even when playing late hockey i still sleep for liek 9 hours its just from 3 on instead of my regualr time. So its not that im not getting sleep its that not matter how much im droopy yano

The reason you feel like shit, even after getting sufficient sleep, is because you’re throwing your body’s natural circadian rhythm out of whack.

Your body’s physical repair occurs between 10:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. (anabolic hormones are replenished, tissues are rejuvenated etc.).

Then between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. your psychic repair takes place (your mind processes the day’s events and rejuvenates itself).

As you might notice, these times correlate approximately with the setting and rising of the sun (depending on the season and your geographical location).

So like the poster said above, you get home with high cortisol levels from playing hockey (which should be at their lowest levels at midnight) and when you do finally get to sleep you’ve already missed your physical repair stage.

Now you can get away with this for years (especially if you’re young) but eventually it will negatively impact your health with chronic tiredness, immune suppression and piss poor athletic recovery.

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:
The reason you feel like shit, even after getting sufficient sleep, is because you’re throwing your body’s natural circadian rhythm out of whack.

Your body’s physical repair occurs between 10:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. (anabolic hormones are replenished, tissues are rejuvenated etc.).

Then between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. your psychic repair takes place (your mind processes the day’s events and rejuvenates itself).

As you might notice, these times correlate approximately with the setting and rising of the sun (depending on the season and your geographical location).

So like the poster said above, you get home with high cortisol levels from playing hockey (which should be at their lowest levels at midnight) and when you do finally get to sleep you’ve already missed your physical repair stage.

Now you can get away with this for years (especially if you’re young) but eventually it will negatively impact your health with chronic tiredness, immune suppression and piss poor athletic recovery.[/quote]

o wow that sucks, maybe i should play midnnight once a week now haha. So when your up till midnight and not playing hockey your cortisol isnt high i guess??

Yup, I would definitely try to reschedule. The illustration shows what your normal daily rhythm should look like.

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:
Yup, I would definitely try to reschedule. The illustration shows what your normal daily rhythm should look like.

[/quote]

o wow yea i might have to cut down but because ice time is hard to get i gata get practice in some how. Thanksa lot though and yea that chart sums it up