Sleep Paralysis

please stop this is actually a serious problem I have. I don’t care about your alien jesus BS. i would like more replies from anyone not named stefanogym.

[quote]crimson_lily wrote:
Something causing you to feel like you can barely breath and/or move definitely warrants a trip to the doctor.[/quote]

This. Go to a doctor before it happens again. There’s “skull crushers hurt my elbows” and there’s “I sometimes get paralysed and stop breathing normally”.

[quote]bigpicture11 wrote:
I don’t care about your alien jesus BS. i would like more replies from anyone not named stefanogym. [/quote]

LMFAO

hey, I try to help you in another way, I Feel I want to do it, so I will.
Ok … you worry for having sleep paralysis , am I right? and worry for remaining out of breath? am I right?

ok… my advise is:
recognize that you have those worries! and recognize that those worries are your creation!

and that you created them because you need them for some reason.

…so doing, first you have made the worry transparent… you have clarified that are your choices, so now you can even choose different

I ask you a question: which is the worst thing that can happen to you if this nocturnal paralysis continue?

i would say the worst thing would be that I stop breathing and die…but hey at least I’d get to see you in the afterlife so I guess it’s not that bad.

:slight_smile: and another question: what is the worst thing that can happen to you if you die?

do you worry to die?

I some time ago realized that all the fears we have as human beings lead back to the ultimate fear of death… this because we have been instructed for so long that death is alienation…while in reality death is waking up to more of what we are… to who we really are…

if you want you can ready those books…“journey of souls” and “home with God”, they cover it very nicely…

but in any case… death is a wake up, and actually we are death free, that means that we are the ones to create death, and we can always choose to comeback after death… people who do not comeback is because they are simply done for that aspect of themselves and will continue in other dimensions, other realities…other aspects… but we are forever…there is really no such a thing like death. We will always exist in some form :slight_smile:

p.s. I speak to you because I love to, but I do not want to constrict your believes, so I will stop if I sense that you do not want to go any further on this for the moment.
I love you unconditionally

Sleep paralysis is actually pretty common, it happens to me on occasion. I used to have it all the time as a teenager, almost every other night, but now it happens maybe several times a year.

It’s nothing to be worried about. It’s scary as shit because it feels like you’re not breathing enough, like you’ll suffocate or you’re in a position where your mouth and nose are kind of buried in the pillow and you’re not getting enough air. I would panic and start wiggling my toes until I had enough momentum where I could snap out of it, but really the best thing to do is relax and go back to sleep.

The last time it happened to me I just relaxed and went back to sleep; I had the most realistic lucid dream where I was floating through a geometric, almost video-game like world, it was really cool.

Don’t worry about it, I know exactly what you’re talking about and it’s no cause for concern. When it happens, really just try to relax and go back to sleep. I know it’s hard to do because you’re panicking, but it’s really the best thing to do.

[quote]bigpicture11 wrote:
Didn’t really know where to post this but I have had sleep paralysis (i know I’m awake but I literally can’t move or open my eyes. I can breath but only through my nose) a lot lately and I don’t know what to do about it. I don’t have any sleep disorders at least that I have been diagnosed with. I used to get it once in awhile when I was younger (like 10ish) but I have be getting it on a regular basis for the past couple months now. It scares the shit out of me. Sometimes when this happens I can barely even breath out of my nose. Usually I can calm myself down and make myself wake up but sometimes that doesn’t work. Idk basically what I want to know is has had this before and what they did to combat it. Idk if I should just go to a doctor or what. Thanks for the help.[/quote]

How do you sleep? As in what position. I literally get sleep paralysis every time I fall asleep on my back or even if I fall asleep sitting down. Nowadays I sleep on my front and I almost never get it in that position. I mean seriously I’ve gotten in up to 7 times in one night and sometimes I’m stuck in that state for up to a minute. You’ve got to learn to stay calm when it happens. Focus on one thing and try to move it. I usually focus on moving one of my toes and once I get it I begin to snap out of it.

Do you ever see things when it happens? I get stuck between reality and whatever I was dreaming before I fall into it. Basically I’ll wake up in the sleep paralysis, unable to move but see things from my dream around my room. The worst was when I had just seen The Descent lol.

OKAY

on a serious note here, for like two seconds.

I just talked to my friend about this because my theory was: You have sleep apnea, and dream about being paralyzed. While the paralysis thing was a figment of your dream, the choking was very real.

After talking to my friend, who actually talked to a doctor about this exact thing, I’d suggest you get the sleep apnea checked out. The paralysis thing is most likely related to anxiety. You feel half awake, but only your brain is functioning full throttle, the rest of your body is still in sleep mode. His recommendation for that is to chill out, maybe smoke a bowl before bed (if you’re into that kinda thing) and relax. You’ll fall back asleep.

HOWEVER in combination with the sleep apnea, again your best bet is to talk to a doc.

Oh and Grain of Salt. this is the internet after all.

Sleep Paralysis is something your body does as a protective mechanism so that you do not move while dreaming in REM sleep. Everyones bodies go into sleep paralysis nightly and it is totally normal.

I used to get this regularily, not so much anymore, but I would get it mainly while taking naps when I was otherwise fairly sleep deprived. My body was attempting to go straight into REM sleep and there is just a small mistake in the order of events.

Just relax is the key. The reason you feel like you cannot breathe is because you have no voluntary muscle control (respiration is a combination of involuntary and voluntary muscle contraction ie. it happens by itself when you are not thinking about it, though if you do think about it you can control it).

You say you panic because you feel like you can’t breathe, but do you literally feel short of breath? Like you are gasping for air?

Its called hypnogagia. I used to get it regularly after studying late for exams, then coming home after and relaxing into a nap.

It can be scary, but if you learn to relax into it, you can transition easily into a lucid dream.

thanks wormwood…i am planning on seeing a doctor asap. I usually sleep either on my back or in the fetal position but I move around a lot in my sleep so its hard for me to tell which I sleep in more. As for smoking the bowl…I used to be into that kind of thing but I am trying to be a police officer someday so I stopped. But honestly if that was the only thing that helps I would try to get it prescribed to me not even to get high just so this doesn’t keep happening. As for everyone who says “try to relax” i do thats not what really worries me its the breathing aspect of the whole thing. To anyone who has this on a regular basis have you done/taken anything that helps this not occur?

Know one thing about sleep paralysis:

It is scientifically the absolutely most relaxed feeling that your body will ever be able to experience while conscious. Enjoy it as much as you can.

My brother told me about it a long time ago (I was like 12 years old). Then one morning I wake up from a nightmare and I’m 16 years old at this point. After I wake up, I’m paralyzed. I remembered what my brother said somehow, and I enjoyed the sleep paralysis. It was a really cool feeling. I wasn’t scared at all because there was nothing to be scared about.

I was paralyzed for about 8 seconds. Only when I regained my feeling back did I feel the weird “hot flash” that you get as soon as you wake up from a nightmare. It was weird.

Now I’m 18, but I’ve never experienced another episode of sleep paralysis. By the way, there’s another type of sleep paralysis where you are awake but still seeing images from your fucking dream and you can’t move and you’re scared shitless. LOOK IT UP IT’S SICK!!!

[quote]Dreythe wrote:
sleep paralysis where you are awake but still seeing images from your fucking dream and you can’t move and you’re scared shitless. LOOK IT UP IT’S SICK!!![/quote]

Yea I get that all the time. Its crazy!! When I was a kid I thought my house was haunted. Scared the shit out of me back then. Still gets a lil creepy sometimes lol.

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
this happens to me quite a lot, usually in clusters (might happen 3 or 4 times ina week then go away for a while)

ill echo what beefster said, learn to relax through it, since it can’t really be controlled its better not to let it get to you. If you ever want it to end faster, try moving your big toe. Sounds stupid but it works for me lol[/quote]

LOL the BIG TOE is the easiest part of the body to move in this sleep paralysis state. I do this too, lol.

I first experienced something like “sleep paralyiss” while falling asleep in university lectures. I “woke up” with my face on the desk, and I could see (although it was just the desk right in front of my eyes) and hear what was going on in the lecture. I was pretty freaked out the first time it happened, but I realized I could move the end of my foot, then soon my whole foot, and once I got my feet to move my legs and rest of my body basically became un-paralyzed.

After a few of these experiences, I looked into lucid dreaming because I thought the half awake half asleep thing that I experienced was pretty strange. This was almost a year ago, and I’ll sometimes get this paralysis while falling asleep. What happens with me is that I feel myself drifting into sleep, and try to prevent it. Generally, for me at least, by doing so I end up sort of paralyzing myself for a few seconds (I assume seconds? maybe like 10-20, but I’ve never timed it for obvious reasons) and then I end up feeling very wide awake after I get movement back.

Basically, I end up getting a type of paralysis when I’m in between sleeping and dreaming, but the first time it happened was really the only time it bothered me. Any other time after I feel like I know whats going on, and if I slip into a dream while I’m aware of the paralysis I generally end up lucid dreaming for a bit.

Just my thoughts. But if its bothering you, why not speak to a doctor?

Something causing you to feel like you can barely breath and/or move definitely warrants a trip to the doctor.[/quote]

X 2 but the doc will almost certainly just prescribe some drug that has bad side effects, make your hair fall out, increase water retention, grow a vagina etc.

Have you tried squats and deadlifts?

[quote]tokyopop wrote:

[quote]Dreythe wrote:
sleep paralysis where you are awake but still seeing images from your fucking dream and you can’t move and you’re scared shitless. LOOK IT UP IT’S SICK!!![/quote]

Yea I get that all the time. Its crazy!! When I was a kid I thought my house was haunted. Scared the shit out of me back then. Still gets a lil creepy sometimes lol. [/quote]

Oh man, some of the craziest things happen in this lucid state lol. I literally feel something sitting or crawling on me sometimes. Also, I often times experience what might be an “out of body” experience, as I feel like I’m floating ABOVE my body, if that makes any sense lol.

[quote]andrew_live wrote:

X 2 but the doc will almost certainly just prescribe some drug that has bad side effects, make your hair fall out, increase water retention, grow a vagina etc.

Have you tried squats and deadlifts?[/quote]

Yeah, I would suggest you first try RELAXING as a means to solve your suffocating dilemma, as this worked perfectly for me in combating this. I used to suffocate also, and so now I NEVER sleep on my STOMACH for this reason, and if I sleep on my side I make sure my nose has all the room it can get to breathe properly, away from the pillow. For the most part, it’s all in your mind. There are obviously many others who have the same issue as you, so you are not alone man. All the doc will probably do is pump you full of useless pills that will more than likely just make matters worse, which is what the pharmaceutical industry does best. If you do a little research you will find that this very same issue has been going on for Millenia, WAAAY before western medicine doc’s and their pills, and those sufferers were perfectly fine. All of the people who posted on this board with this same condition are fine, too. Stay away from pills bro.

[quote]andrew_live wrote:

Have you tried squats and deadlifts?[/quote]

lol x2