Sleep or Micturition?

Right here’s the thing:

A solid 8-9 hours sleep without interruption, but no pre-sleep milk and casein powder drink

or

Pre-sleep milk and casein powder drink and a trip to the restroom for a whiz at about 3 A.M

Which?

Shoot !

option #2

From my experience, getting up to piss does not affect your quality of sleep. You have to be up for a certain amount of time for it to be disruptive (imo).

Um… seriously? If you need the extra calories, drink up.

Taking a piss for two minutes in the middle of the night is NOT going to affect your rest.

For God’s sake…

If having to piss wakes you up, take advantage of it and have another shake…

…or at least some bcaa tabs

I tried a shake in the middle of the night once and I couldn’t fall back asleep.

If I have work the next day, it can be a bitch to get back to sleep knowing I have to get up in a few hours.

On weekends, I am off to sleep again within minutes.

Good idea guys on taking another shake, of some BCAAs.

Charles Poliquin reccomended the first one. Apologies on the spelling of his name. But at least I remembered what he said.

this is a pointless thread.

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
Charles Poliquin reccomended the first one. Apologies on the spelling of his name. But at least I remembered what he said.[/quote]

I believe Poliquin meant that intentionally waking yourself up for a protein shake was a bad thing, and that one should go for the full uninterrupted sleep. When you wake up to piss you wake up naturally which is a different story, so go with the protein shake before hand. Just take it 45 mins before bed and piss right before racking out and you really shouldn’t have a problem.

Why don’t you just mix your protein powder in with some peanut butter, and then eat that right before bed? No liquids, and you get the benefits of having the fat slow down digestion. Probably really good w/ chocolate powder.

[quote]York Plate wrote:
Right here’s the thing:

A solid 8-9 hours sleep without interruption, but no pre-sleep milk and casein powder drink

or

Pre-sleep milk and casein powder drink and a trip to the restroom for a whiz at about 3 A.M

Which?

Shoot !
[/quote]

‘Why don’t you just mix your protein powder in with some peanut butter, and then eat that right before bed? No liquids, and you get the benefits of having the fat slow down digestion. Probably really good w/ chocolate powder’.

Brilliant! Will try this. Sorted.

[quote]York Plate wrote:
Right here’s the thing:

or

Which?

Shoot !
[/quote]

How can you be so sure that having a shake pre-sleep will necessarily result in you having to get up at night and that not drinking it will assure uninterrupted sleep?

As stated in your last post, you could simply go for another option, though.

'How can you be so sure that having a shake pre-sleep will necessarily result in you having to get up at night and that not drinking it will assure uninterrupted sleep?

As stated in your last post, you could simply go for another option, though’.

I drink a good scoop of casein and approx 1/2 liter of milk about 20 mins before bed. Sleep like a baby until about 3 A.M then I am wrenched from the arms of Morpheus and head for the WC.

On nights when I don’t have the shake and have a small glass of milk instead, I sleep through until the morning.

I really don’t mind having to get up.

I was just wondering if the uninterrupted sleep is preferable over the shake ?

Do away with shake, eat some tofu, or a protein bar instead?

I have been drinking milk prior to sleep all my life, it’s just since I have added the casein powder which is a great slow release protein that I wake up.

Casein is not soluble in water, so when it hits the stomach it curds and is digested slower than whey or soy, perfect for the 8-9 hour fast at night.

It just seemed strange that one shake would make such a difference, given that most of us consume at least a gallon of water during the day in addition to all the food. I’ll take your word for it, though…

:wink:

Anyway, tofu or protein bars are poor substitutions. If you don’t want to consume food containing casein (which constitutes nearly 80% of the protein contained in milk anyway), I’d rather opt for some sort of meat.

As for not being able to fall asleep after waking up to pee - haven’t experienced that before. I get up two or three times each night and I’m asleep seconds after my head hits the pillow most of the time. Especially when I know I have to go to work in the morning… nothing I look forward to that much.

If you are wide awake at 3am then cant get back to sleep,then clearly thats not a good thing but if you are pretty dozy and go straight back to bed then its nothing to worry about.

bare in mind this is happening because you are drink 1/2 litre of milk before bed, why not reduce the volume of milk and increase the amount of casien if this is bothering you? adding extra cals missed from the milk from other sources.

or even eat some food before bed. eggs peanut butter and salad works fine for me. in my opinion tofu/soy and protein bars are the very last resort.

to be honest, unless the waking up in the night effects your day to day function this is nothing to sweat over.

It is said that we must consume 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (I’m 250 pounds) and gallons of water, and then have 8-9 hours uninterrupted sleep.

On days I do cardio and sweat a lot, this can be achieved with regards to water intake.

Yesterday I trained legs, shoulders, and abs + 1 hour cardio. I had my usual casein and milk. I have just awoken from 9 hours uninterrupted sleep and feel pumped and well rested.

On days when I don’t train and sweat, I would have woken up once.

No matter what I eat before I go to bed, I wake up ravenous and eat a huge bowl of oat meal + cranberries + plums for breakfast.

I am still interested in the question:

Is 9 hours sleep more beneficial for a training athlete’s recovery and growth than 9 hours of interrupted sleep even if it is only for a few minutes?

[quote]York Plate wrote:
I am still interested in the question:

Is 9 hours sleep more beneficial for a training athlete’s recovery and growth than 9 hours of interrupted sleep even if it is only for a few minutes

[/quote]

Assuming that one has a normal sleep pattern:
Probably say that the uninterrupted sleep would be better physiologically speaking, as it would maintain the sleep architecture.

Though comparing the two is really splitting hairs. The difference in being awake for a few minutes is rather minor.

It’s a bigger issue if you’re awake for a longer period of time (e.g. unable to re-initiate sleep)

Just sleep through the piss. My son does that almost every other night. Just use warm water in the wash and a lil xtra detergent. Best of both worlds.