Sleep Deprived? Raise Your Hand

[quote]Deadsion wrote:
its probably already been said, but violently whacking it (sex doesnt count) and then going straight to bed knocks me out.[/quote]

Lmfao. Nicely put.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:
Masterbation + melatonin works for me![/quote]

I don’t know why, but melatonin gives me fucked up nightmares 0_0
Trying to fall asleep is agonizing for me unless I played like 8 full court games of basketball. I need to be REALLY tired, or I just lay there and think, fuck.

[quote]caladin wrote:
For the past 10 years I have not been able to sleep worth a damn. I am not one for narc sleep medicine. I have tried all the differnt herbs and supps and they work somewhat well at least to get me to sleep. The problem is I am a light sleeper and wake up 10 times a night. My room is pitchblack, I have a fan for ambient noise but still. So speak up and lets swap some help here![/quote]

try all the herbs you say, does that include ganja

Hand raised, me too, serious sleep deprivation…

Waves hand I’ve sleep 3 hours a night or so since '95. Plus the norm for me is once a week or so I work 26-32 hours straight, then sleep only 6 or so to catch up. Just the way it works out, not my doing.

But I’m an oddity it seems. I’ve never needed much sleep. I know it will all catch up with me and it already is. Lucky for me even functioning at 60% or so I still outperform others that give their all, at work.

I’m sleep deprived big time, not because I can’t sleep, I can actually sleep at anytime of the day/night (done graveyard shifts), at any place, even on a concrete floor or a moving car, even if there’s noise.
BUT, I hate sleeping, so I usually postpone my bed time more that I’d like to admit. story of my life…

[quote]caladin wrote:

I also almost always wake up around 2am. Kinda odd really.
[/quote]

it is in your head, we do it to ourselves.
Ever hear about people that can wake up at exactly 6:30 (or whenever) by setting their “internal” alarm clock? Lots of people can do it, they picture a time and that’s when they wake. So i tried it, i pictured 6:30 and went to sleep. Worked great, only one problem, my clock must be off by 1 hour because i woke at 5:30. Once I did this 2-3 times i couldn’t stop, it went on for weeks until it stopped. Every day 5:30.

I finally stopped it by turning the clock and refusing to see the time no matter when i woke. After i stopped looking at the clock it went away.

The brain is powerful and it doesn’t always let us in on it’s plans.

So try the clock thing, could be you are waking 4-6 time just to see if it is 2AM. Mathematically, if you wake 6 times a night, you will always be awake at “around” 2…and 3, and 4 etc. Once the brain learns there is no possible way it can find out what time it is, it might give up.

[quote]Rek wrote:
caladin wrote:

I also almost always wake up around 2am. Kinda odd really.

it is in your head, we do it to ourselves.
Ever hear about people that can wake up at exactly 6:30 (or whenever) by setting their “internal” alarm clock? Lots of people can do it, they picture a time and that’s when they wake. So i tried it, i pictured 6:30 and went to sleep. Worked great, only one problem, my clock must be off by 1 hour because i woke at 5:30. Once I did this 2-3 times i couldn’t stop, it went on for weeks until it stopped. Every day 5:30.

I finally stopped it by turning the clock and refusing to see the time no matter when i woke. After i stopped looking at the clock it went away.

The brain is powerful and it doesn’t always let us in on it’s plans.

So try the clock thing, could be you are waking 4-6 time just to see if it is 2AM. Mathematically, if you wake 6 times a night, you will always be awake at “around” 2…and 3, and 4 etc. Once the brain learns there is no possible way it can find out what time it is, it might give up.

[/quote]

Wow… I didnt think of that. I will give it a try. Thanks

I’ve tried melatonin, ZMA, and tryptophan - all worked for a time but then lost their effectiveness. They also gave me some very vivid dreams some night.

What I found helps alot though is foam ear plugs. They are very comfortable. You don’t even notice they are in and they usually stay in all night. They helped me with the waking up in the middle of the night from some random noise then not being able to fall back asleep for hours.

A box of 10 pairs is like $3 at CVS

[quote]caladin wrote:

Does the Trazadone knock you out or put you down slowly? groggy from it all?

No apnea but as for the restless leg syndrome… hmm, somthing to look into

[/quote]

Well it does not INSTANTLY knock you out, but it does act fairly quickly.

Apart from restless leg syndrome, you might want to have your Thyroid checked. You can also use a thermometer to check it also. Your body temperature should average around 98.6. If not,
you MAY have a thyroid issue.

Like I said, the Trazodone works pretty well for most people and it will give you some nice wood on top of that :slight_smile: I understand your concerns about wanting to not take chemicals; however, sometimes we have to look at the trade-off. What is worse, putting a fairly benign chemical or going without sleep? Now what you don’t want to take are benzodiazepines. Don’t let your Doc steer you toward one of those, like Klonopin. That stuff is more addictive than heroin.

[quote]kodiak82 wrote:
caladin wrote:
For the past 10 years I have not been able to sleep worth a damn. I am not one for narc sleep medicine. I have tried all the differnt herbs and supps and they work somewhat well at least to get me to sleep. The problem is I am a light sleeper and wake up 10 times a night. My room is pitchblack, I have a fan for ambient noise but still. So speak up and lets swap some help here!

try all the herbs you say, does that include ganja

[/quote]

Because of the melatonin, pot helps with falling asleep. I don’t think it helps much if you are an (too) early riser. I might be wrong about that though. It is definitely worth trying for sleep issues. And even if you don’t sleep, you will feel a lot happier staying up :slight_smile:

Some nights… yes, I can be sleep deprived. It’s hell. I have found, (and if I was allowed I’d post this in the things I believe but can’t prove,) that I have slept the best when my blood pressure has been at its lowest. This may be common sense,I’m not sure, but don’t alot of medications and sleeping aids use ingredients that lower blood pressure?

If so, I would reccomend getting your BP checked and try lowering it. When I was a long distance runner I slept really good too. So mayve some cardio might be the answer. Even if it’s just a brisk walk.

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=the+link+between+sleeping+and+exercising&page=1&qsrc=2106&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nubella.com%2Fcontent%2Fview%2F3899%2F82%2F

[quote]b12sblue2002 wrote:
Had a sleep study done, discovered I had sleep apnea, woke up 10 times or so an hour, oxygen saturation was at 80%, but snoring was terrible. I got surgery and they took out my tonsils, uvula and part of my soft palette. Now I don’t hardly snore at all and sleep great, and am not tired during the day. my Dad had sleep apnea too, but was on a machine for years and I didnt want it, plus I am only 40 so could recover from the surgery. however, it was seriously painful, enough that I couldn’t eat and lost 13lbs in 10 days. (but then I gained it back and then some ha!)

X2 on getting a sleep study done[/quote]

I had the surgery 2 years ago and still wound up with the CPAP. Which has a very small mask so it was easy to get used to. I sleep very well now. The surgery was a bitch, I ate lots of ice cream and my weight went from 245 to 228, which I gained most back.

I work ungodly hours a few times per week and I get in at night and I’m wound up. I usually fall asleep on the couch watching TV, but drag my ass up to the CPAP and my own bed regardless. I’ve has maybe a total of 2 nights off the CPAP since I started using it.

Total, I’ve had 6 sleep studies done between 1999 and late 2007. Thank god for health insurance, the CPAP, etc was a total freebie.

BG

Bushy, you’re one of the greatest resources on this site, lol.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Ciproheptadine, glycine, phosphadetyl serine + B complex vitamins.

BBB[/quote]

I’ve tried the phospadetyl serine,B-Complex,and valerian root before. Never knew glycine helped with sleep…will look into that. Ciproheptadine??..same as Cyproheptadine,right? Isn’t that used by vets?

Raises hand.

Ever since the tenants moved in upstairs, 8 months ago, I sleep 2 hours on a good night. I wake up every 20 minutes from 10pm until about 3am, then I usually wake up again at 5am then again at 6am and get out of bed before the alarm at 6:30. I gonna go crazy, they must be professional bowlers and tap dancers with all the fucking noise they make. They also take like 50 showers a night. NO LIE 50, I can hear the squeaky faucet on the shower turning every gawdamnfuckingtime.

I usually sleep 4-5 hours a night. I wouldn’t call that sleep deprived but man, it gets tiring after a while. I find the quick cure to be roll out of bed and nail out some push-ups.

You’ll fall asleep pretty fast after that usually and you’ll be out for the night after doing it.
It’s weird.