T Nation

Sleep Deprivation and Motivation

I always do pretty awesome when I’ve gotten enough sleep, but there are weeks where i get an average of 5 hrs per night. I never end up training on these days. An hour of training really isn’t a big deal considering I might be up studying for 6-7 hours. The thing is that I’m physically tired and don’t have the motivation

Does anyone have any motivation strategies to train when sleep deprived?

Suck it up and train. Or drink a Spike.

I’ve found that more often than not, when you’re feeling “drag-assy” going into a workout, they typically end up being very good workouts.

That being said, tons of people get little sleep and are still successful. My best recommendation is to compensate with a few additional calories, and get a good pre-workout supplement with 1.3 DMAA.

Also, it may not be the worst idea to get a sleep supplement so that you can maximize your quality sleeping time when you are sleeping, know what I mean?

Out of curiosity, how long have you been on this schedule? The body should typically adapt after a week or two if sub-optimal conditions. This is cheesy, but if you BELIEVE you can work out fine, you probably can. Don’t let it get to your head.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
Suck it up and train. Or drink a Spike. [/quote]

trudat, when I got a lot of studying to do I’ll eat a meal 2 hours before I’m done save the caffeine/coffee for when I’m about an hour away from being done (usually study at starbucks.)

then when I’m done studying I rush home change and hit the gym while I got some decent kick from the caffeine.

Having a partner helps on those less motivated days too.

I sometimes only get 3-4 hours if I’m insanely busy. I still train 6 days a week. If I feel like I might die I just pack it up but most of the time I feel better after my warm up sets. I just tell myself that if I go and after my warm ups I still feel like the death then i’ll go home, but i always feel better and just get it done.

[quote]solarFLARE wrote:
I sometimes only get 3-4 hours if I’m insanely busy. I still train 6 days a week. If I feel like I might die I just pack it up but most of the time I feel better after my warm up sets. I just tell myself that if I go and after my warm ups I still feel like the death then i’ll go home, but i always feel better and just get it done.[/quote]

This is usually true. Once you get your body active, you’re usually a lot less tired than you thought. You also have more energy after you workout (unless you had a killer leg workout). This is what kept me awake on those rough weeks of college.

If you KNOW you’re not gonna get sleep I would just switch the order of my workout. The assistance/smaller lifts come first and the compounds come last. Your not going to set PR’s anyways so why not just pre fatigue and get the most out of lighter weight. Other than that you just gotta suck it up; tell yourself what you need to, to get it done.

suck it up’s my new mantra.

I get five hours of sleep a nite and I’m totally fine with it
On days I’m dragging I get psyched up for it
It helps a ton