T Nation

Sleep Apnea vs TRT

Sleep Apnea vs TRT - News

I am 39 years old and since the age of 15 I have chronic insomnia and at 28 I discovered that I had severe sleep apnea. As more than 70% of the patients also did not adapt to the cpap.

Then around 30, I started to have chronic fatigue and started having great difficulties to gain muscle mass and to lose weight.

At 35 I looked for an endocrinologist for TRT. I stopped at 6 months because my symptoms got worse, and as I read several articles saying that TRT worsened sleep apnea, I decided that Testosterone was not for me.

In the beginning of 2020, I read some intriguing articles, which showed that after 18 weeks of TRT, the symptoms of sleep apnea started to improve. That is the reason for sharing this data with you.
In the last 10 years I have read more than 20,000 articles in the pubmed about sleep apnea, looking for some news that could alleviate my condition. Incredibly almost 100% of the studies on TRT x Sleep Apnea, are at most 18 weeks. Quite suspicious isn’t it?

I resumed my TRT in 2020 and I am in week 16. So soon I will be able to tell you if I got consistent improvements or not.

Follow links on TRT after 18 weeks in sleep apnea patients.

I will create this new topic to discuss what I have learned about sleep apnea in the past 10 years. Including demonstrating which are the markers that tend to be altered in patients with apnea and links with possible new causes other than just weight gain.

Among the main altered markers in sleep apnea patients that I discovered in my readings in recent years are:
Elevation of:

• aldosterone
  • triglycerides
  • insulin
  • blood glucose
  • hematocrit
  • hemoglobin
  • e2
  • cortisol
  • glutamate

Decrease of:

• testosterone
  • igf-1
  • vitamin D
  • boast
  • dopamine
  • acetylcholine

Just to throw my 2cents in, in what is now my first 7 months on TRT my apnea is not noticeable anymore (hardly). I attribute it to the 8-10 lbs I’ve lost already.

2 Likes

People with sleep apnea usually have other sleep problems such as insomnia, sleep delay syndrome, restless legs syndrome, among others. Much of these problems can be caused by high glutamate and cortisol at unusual times in healthy people.

I have been testing various supplements and medications in recent years. Only recently did I succeed, after understanding what I was fighting against.

What I currently use before bed:

• taurine 1000mg (decreases glutamate, increases gaba and can also reduce cortisol)
  • magnesium 400mg
  • melatonin 3mg

Some interesting news that can help reduce the amount of apneas:

• level of cerebral DHA
  • problems with vitamin D receptors

I was able to decrease from 48 / hour to 17 / hour using high doses of omega-3 DHA.

Now the most innovative research I read in the last 10 years on sleep apnea was on genetic polymorphisms that would hinder the correct absorption of vitamin D. In fact, here in Brazil we have Dr Cicero Coimbra, who developed the Coimbra Protocol, and achieves extraordinary results in autoimmune diseases with high doses of vitamin D.

For the past 10 years, whenever I test my vitamin D, it is low. As I discovered these new studies with high doses of D3 recently, I started testing. Then I started to take 20.000ui daily, with 200mcg of k2 (mk7) and besides that I take 30 minutes of sun, at noon (in Brazil we have sun almost all year).

I had the best month of my last 25 years. In just 3 days I felt my energy return, it didn’t take 3 or 4 days to recover from a workout, I started sleeping incredibly better.

From the books, videos and articles that I have read recently, it seems to me that vitamin D is the missing link between our grandparents and the current generation. If they research any chronic disease vs vitamin D, they will see that virtually all vitamin D deficiency occurs. About 90% of the world population has vitamin D deficiency, largely due to the heliophobia propagated by dermatologists since the middle of the last century.

From the books, videos and articles that I have read recently, it seems to me that vitamin D is the missing link between our grandparents and the current generation. If they research any chronic disease vs vitamin D, they will see that virtually all vitamin D deficiency occurs. About 90% of the world population has vitamin D deficiency, largely due to the heliophobia propagated by dermatologists since the middle of the last century.

There are some doctors around the world who do therapy with high doses of vitamin D. There are differences in dosages and blood levels that each considers ideal (optimized).

Below is a table.

For more information, I suggest the books below:

Excellent news. Unfortunately, I still haven’t managed to reduce my weight. In the last 5 years I have had a huge difficulty to lose weight, even following the recommendations of nutritionists and nutrologists.

Just out of curiosity, have you looked into leptin resistance as a possible cause of your inability to drop fat?

Hello. I never did tests, because they are very expensive here in Brazil. But I have read a lot about the dysregulation that sleep apnea causes in both leptin and ghrelin.

What I have done to improve the issue is to use higher doses of omga-3, complex carbs and trying to sleep better, because without sleeping well nothing has good effects. This is the big problem for people with apnea.

I have even read studies that link low serum vitamin D vs leptin problems.

Do you have any suggestions?

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41366-019-0347-7

You could try a supplement like leptitox or something like that and see if you notice any differences.

I was asking because I just started doing some research on the subject, but unfortunately am not far enough along in my quest to offer any real advice…

1 Like

Thank you. My current research is all about Vitamin D.

Do a test, search for any symptoms or diseases on google and add vitamin D deficiency, it is impressive.

Vitamin D3 causes the release of leptin release in keratocytes which are cells that make up skin. Either through exposure to ultraviolet light like in sunshine or the ingestion of vitamin D. Thus, helping to stimulate satiety.

Overweight people need higher doses of vitamin d3 to benefit, as body fat absorbs much of the vitamin ingested or absorbed by the skin. With the years, absorption capacity of vitamin d3 through the skin it drops to 25%.

In the book “The Optimal Dose” the author treats several obese patients and with the most varied problems related to sleep with 30,000iu of vitamin D3 per day… I am in the testing phase, but I already feel a great improvement after 2 weeks using 20,000iu per day. Sleep has improved, energy has increased considerably.
Author J. Somerville states that with 6 months of supplementation, his patients are able to reach their ideal weight in part by regulating leptin.

I have this genetic trait. My understanding is that its the conversion of D3 that is the problem. My body doesn’t do it well. I supplement 10k iu a day to keep my vitamin D level around 65. The trait was uncovered through a genetic testing I had done at another website using raw data from 23andme.

I have mild apnea that I have corrected with a mouth guard for the last few years.

Here are my messed up Vit D genotypes:

1 Like

Nice write up. Your research is extensive. Have you undergone or considered any surgery to open your breathing passages to alleviate your apnea?

I had severe apnea too. It got to the point that I was falling asleep while driving and at almost any work event where I had to sit in meeting for any length of time. Finally, I had balloon sinuplasty, uvulaplasty, and stiffening of the soft pallate. I still snore but no longer have anpea.

1 Like

Hey that’s interesting. Can you do this kind of genetic testing do uncover potential health issues? If so, how do I do it?

1 Like

Um yes. That is the purpose. Well you do the genetic testing from 23andMe or one of the others. They provide you with the raw data report if you ask for it. Then you go to another site, like foundmyfitness, pay for the report and upload the raw data and they will spit out a report with the notable stuff. Depending on the report they focus on different things. This one in particular looks at the following:

"This comprehensive report includes the SNPs in all of the basic reports and a few more in addition, too.

Some of the SNPs included affect the bioavailability and metabolism of micronutrients including vitamins D, C, B12, A, folate, omega-3, iron and more. This report looks at SNPs that can influence metabolism including the response to various types of fat (saturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, monounsaturated fat) and carbohydrates (i.e. complex carbohydrates vs. simple carbohydrates), which may influence blood pressure, blood glucose levels, circulating LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, obesity, cardiovascular risk, and more. It also focuses on SNPs relevant to cholesterol metabolism and HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors such as statins. It looks at certain SNPs involved in the inactivation of heterocyclic amines which are procarcinogens formed when meat is cooked at high temperatures. It looks at SNPs involved in exercise performance, sleep, and those that can have a direct or indirect influence on longevity."

1 Like

This second gene is closely linked to vitamin D absorption problems. It is worth reading the book “The Optimal Dose”, the doctor first treated himself and researched a lot before treating more than 2000 patients. I see some experts always recommending over 60ng. But some talk between 80 and 100ng to solve sleep problems and improve insulin resistance.

I believe mine is already over 60ng now, as sleep and energy have improved a lot. I continue taking 20,000iu and sunbathing at noon, daily. In two weeks I will do new tests to assess the levels of d3 and other markers suggested by the Coimbra Protocol.

1 Like

Right now I am recovering from the third surgery in an attempt to improve. Unfortunately I only found out about the highest doses of vitamin D 30 days ago.

In the last 12 years I have had two nose surgeries, the first to correct the septum, the second a turbinectomy. Both were a total failure.

In 2019, I started to research dental issues and after a cephalometry, I discovered a deficiency of the upper jaw, which when expanded has good results in apnea.

I did the Maxilla Surgical Expansion in January, I still have a big diastema. Unfortunately I didn’t get any better. Until I resumed research on vitamin D receptors.

It is really impressive, in the first week I already felt great effects. Best sleep and mood in 25 years.

In www.vitamindwiki.com, a site that aggregates all publications about vitamin D, typing “gene” in the search, I found some texts about genes that influence the absorption of Vitamin d.

"Key Vitamin D Target Genes with Functions in the
Immune System
Oona Koivisto , Andrea Hanel and Carsten Carlberg *
School of Medicine, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Eastern Finland, FI-70211 Kuopio, Finland;
oonkoi@student.uef.fi (O.K.); andrea.hanel@uef.fi (A.H.)

• Correspondence: carsten.carlberg@uef.fi; Tel.: +358-40-355-3062
    Received: 31 March 2020; Accepted: 16 April 2020; Published: 19 April 2020
    a
    a
    Abstract: The biologically active form of vitamin D3, 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (1,25(OH)2D3),
    modulates innate and adaptive immunity via genes regulated by the transcription factor vitamin
    D receptor (VDR). In order to identify the key vitamin D target genes involved in these processes,
    transcriptome-wide datasets were compared, which were obtained from a human monocytic cell line
    (THP-1) and peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) treated in vitro by 1,25(OH)2D3, filtered
    using different approaches, as well as from PBMCs of individuals supplemented with a vitamin D3
    bolus. The led to the genes ACVRL1, CAMP, CD14, CD93, CEBPB, FN1, MAPK13, NINJ1, LILRB4,
    LRRC25, SEMA6B, SRGN, THBD, THEMIS2 and TREM1. Public epigenome- and transcriptome-wide
    data from THP-1 cells were used to characterize these genes based on the level of their VDR-driven
    enhancers as well as the level of the dynamics of their mRNA production. Both types of datasets
    allowed the categorization of the vitamin D target genes into three groups according to their role in
    (i) acute response to infection, (ii) infection in general and (iii) autoimmunity. In conclusion, 15 genes
    were identified as major mediators of the action of vitamin D in innate and adaptive immunity and
    their individual functions are explained based on different gene regulatory scenarios"

As vitamin D acts in more than 3000 genes, I believe that according to the site of the polymorphism, the person will develop different diseases, since practically all chronic diseases have vitamin D deficiency involved.

Best of all, with high doses of vitamin D, several doctors have proven that it is possible to overcome genetic issues.

1 Like

One aspect that interests all bodybuilders, related to genes vs vitamin d.

1 Like