T Nation

Sleep and Recovery

We all know sleep is necessary for recovery and that somewhere in the neighborhood of 8+ hours is ideal each night.

What about post work out naps? Does an hour or two of sleep illicit the same hormonal response as a full night albeit on a smaller scale?

I train early in the morning and have a few hours afterwards before my first class. When I don’t have homework or a test to study for, I usually veg out on the couch or go back to bed.

Is pwo sleep like that beneficial at all? I’ve done some limited research (google) and can’t find much info. The key words I use always bring up the topic of sleep at night.

Yes it is beneficial.

I work out late in the day so I get a Pre-work nab.
No more than 30 min or I feel like purple haze…

Yes, catching cat naps when you can are beneficial. Bottom line is the body needs all the rest it can get with the demands of life (school, work, relationships) and then the weight room added on.

D

To add on to his post what about when your laying there trying to fall asleep or just relaxing while your awake but haven’t fallen asleep? I wonder on this because you arn’t using your muscles at all, when im sore in the mournings after I have been relaxing during school, Im less sore…

Ohh and I think the little extra naps are helpful

I wish somebody could come up with a good study or two.

I always thought a catnap PWO would be worth my weight in gold. But since I exercise in the evening, it’s kind of hard for me to verify that assumption - unless I plan to wake up at 3am, which pretty much never happens.

I think I read once that Ronnie Coleman only gets 6 or so hours a night.

Sleeping too much can be bad though also 8-10 for me is optimum of course-though realistically i get 5-7-

[quote]codypt wrote:
To add on to his post what about when your laying there trying to fall asleep or just relaxing while your awake but haven’t fallen asleep? I wonder on this because you arn’t using your muscles at all, when im sore in the mournings after I have been relaxing during school, Im less sore…

Ohh and I think the little extra naps are helpful[/quote]

I won’t attempt to guess at whether it helps muscle recovery, but I know from personal experience that just laying in bed with everything off can rejuvinate you. I for some reason CANNOT fall asleep during the day (also have a little bit of trouble getting to sleep initially at night) so I just end up laying there, eyes closed, dark room, etc. An hour of this and I feel pretty good.

[quote]inthego wrote:

[/quote]

That’s because you’re in the stage 3 sleep pattern by that time and your brain waves have slowed down. Waking after this period begins (20-30 mins) will likely leave you groggy, especially if you nap in the late afternoon.

Unfortunately for us, this is also the time when growth hormone spikes begin. You really need to get at least a 60-90 minute long nap to do much for muscle growth. Shorter naps are good for mental refreshment only.

ZZZZzzzzzzz…

[quote]shizen wrote:
I think I read once that Ronnie Coleman only gets 6 or so hours a night.[/quote]

You’re comparing Ronnie Coleman to average lifters?

I want to see studies on THIS.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
inthego wrote:

That’s because you’re in the stage 3 sleep pattern by that time and your brain waves have slowed down. Waking after this period begins (20-30 mins) will likely leave you groggy, especially if you nap in the late afternoon.

Unfortunately for us, this is also the time when growth hormone spikes begin. You really need to get at least a 60-90 minute long nap to do much for muscle growth. Shorter naps are good for mental refreshment only.

ZZZZzzzzzzz…

[/quote]

Exactly the type of answer I’m looking for. Thanks. Do you have a source?