Sleds and Sled Dragging

I want to get hold of a sled for some dragging but can’t find one to buy anywhere. Does anyone know of an internet based supplier? Alternativly do you know of any plans I can take to a local metal worker so I can have one made?

Thanks.

Check out EliteFitness www.elitefts.com

They have sleds and everything you can imagine regarding Powerlifting.

Or just drag an old car tire around, put some boards inside and load up with rocks if it’s too light.

Good luck

They sell them on the Westside Barbell site - cheapest I’ve seen.

Where does everyone use there sleds, I live on a main street and am considering one. I could probably travel to a school field, not sure if pavement is better though.

Revan

You can drag it anywhere. I go to a park down the street. elitefts.com has the best products. Their sled is extremely durable. On concrete the bottom would get scratched up but it wont whither away or anything like that. The surface will also change the amount of weight you can use.

I usually go to a field near my house. I’ve tried dragging it on the street, through parking lots, or other paved areas. I find that the pavement makes it easier to drag. Easy is not my goal, so I stick with grass areas.

Also, dragging on pavement is VERY LOUD…

[quote]hfrogs00 wrote:
You can drag it anywhere. I go to a park down the street. elitefts.com has the best products. Their sled is extremely durable. On concrete the bottom would get scratched up but it wont whither away or anything like that. The surface will also change the amount of weight you can use.[/quote]

Just Curious,

I’ve purchased a number of things from Dave and think his stuff is extremely high quality, but Louie’s sled is significantly less expensive. Anyone have a Westside sled?

Revan

You can also check out brutestrength.com They have a pretty affordable sled there.

i have a west side sled and it rocks - i love elite’s stuff but i am not into spending 150 or more on a sled! west side sled kicks ass - you should also pick up another rope for doing rows and presses, a rope that is used for towing jet skiers is good - i got my rope from e bay - my other 2 sleds my dad had welded for me by his workers - you can always see if you know of someone who can weld one for you, or, ask your local high school metal shop to see if someone cna help you out

if not, a tire with the wheel inside oughtta work wonders,you cna also load oly plates on the tire by bolting them down! just make things work for you when you want it.

OK - SO I have a couple other questions. Does the sled dig up grass when you drag it? I live in the Massachusetts, what do people do with snow on the ground?

Revan

Wear gloves? Seriously, I would just take a shovel to pack down the snow where you are going to pull it. You might have to adjust the weight to account for increased or decreased friction depending on how packed down the snow is. The more solid and ice like, less friction and more weight.

Thankyou gentlemen - all replies much appreciated!

Okay - I have just ordered a sled from Elite, plus an extra sled strap…I now have a couple more questions

Ball park figures - what sort of load do you put on your sled (in lbs or KG)
The only reason I want to know this is so I can get sufficiant weight disks. I have seen weights for sled dragging quoted as a % of body weight - any sense in this?

The straps that come with the sled…how do you attatch them to your body? I want to do drills both facing towards the sled, side on, and away from it. I was thinking about looping them through an old weightlifting belt but I don’t know if that will work.

Finally, I’d be real interested to see any pictures of you in action with your sleds so I can get some ideas for workouts…my aims are hypertrophy and GPP.

Thanks again.

1. You can use the chest harness or attach the sled through a belt.

2. I bought 1 25lb 1 35lb. and 1 45lb. Thats how much money I had. It depends on the exercise you are doing for how much weight you use. It also depends on whether you are using it for GPP or a substitution ME leg day. Most of the guys at Westside, when doing GPP, I believe use two 45 lb plates for forward dragging and they are far stronger than I am, so you should adjust accordingly for your strength level. And remember what your goal is. GPP is to make your regular workouts better, not to kill your regular workouts. 60% rule is a good rule to follow.

3. For exercises you can look on elite, buy Joe Kenn’s sled video, and my favorite be creative. Maybe somebody has some pictures.