Sled Training and Fat Loss

Is it possible to set up a successful exercise program using sleds and sled training that’s geared to fat loss. I’m a big dude and need to become just BigJoe.

I’m 45 years old and 300 lbs 6 ft 6 inches. I lift weights and eat right and it just makes me get bigger and my clothes tighter. I try running a few miles a bunch of times a week and even though I can run pretty well, that gets old quick with my shins killing me. Walking for an hour doesnt really do it either so I’m looking for something else that will work.

If you think sled training could work well then please I’m all eyes and ears on what you can tell me.

I think sled training is FAR better than either walking or running.

That combined with complimentary nutrition will certainly help.

Hey this old geezer uses it. Just use light weights and walk darn fast. You will really get benefits. Couple it with water consumption. I do this once per week, 55 lbs on the 65 lb sled.

I pull this for 5 laps of 200 ft each. Bordering on running with it.
Then another day I pull heavy weight. Even did this in summer here in Texas. Did this like an idiot in 100 plus degree heat, also consumed almost a full gallon of water. Hey you could see veins on my old 260 lb body. Gotta look good for my wife.

Thanks. Does sled training give you big glutes, wide hips, and big legs or does that only happen if the weight is too great? Thats what I dont want. Also should I try to run or is brisk walking better?

[quote]BigBigJoe wrote:
Thanks. Does sled training give you big glutes, wide hips, and big legs or does that only happen if the weight is too great? Thats what I dont want. Also should I try to run or is brisk walking better?[/quote]

The sled will have none of those negative aspects.

How 'bout hill sprints? Brisk walks are fine (especially for the mind).

Derek, hill sprints with the sled?

[quote]BigBigJoe wrote:
Derek, hill sprints with the sled?[/quote]

Well, no but sure, what the heck!

I’d try them without the sled first, though!

If I do alot of these can I get chicks like the one in the lime green on the left side. Normally I dont like them that cut and muscular but there is something about that one that I could see her being phenomenal after a bowl of ice cream or something.

What kind of sled/harness are you guys using and where did you get it?

[quote]BigBigJoe wrote:
If I do alot of these can I get chicks like the one in the lime green on the left side. [/quote]

Ummmmmmmm, no.

How about if I was a multimillionaire?

The sled I got was from Elitefts and cost around 175 dollars

[quote]BigBigJoe wrote:
Thanks. Does sled training give you big glutes, wide hips, and big legs or does that only happen if the weight is too great? Thats what I dont want. Also should I try to run or is brisk walking better?[/quote]

Big glutes, wide hips and big legs are usually the result of eating like shit.
If you can “run or walk briskly” you obviously don’t have enough weight on the sled. Sled dragging is the only “cardio” I do. If I jog/run my feet/knees/hips/back ache for days. Plus, it doesn’t do dick all for fat loss compared to sled dragging.

TNT

TNT so are you saying to get heavy and slow to drop fat with a sled?

[quote]BigBigJoe wrote:
TNT so are you saying to get heavy and slow to drop fat with a sled?[/quote]

Get your HR up to about 90% mMax for about 30 min. The fat you burn during the workout isn’t important. The sled dragging will build muscle (or at the very least maintain LBM) and elevate your resting metabloism through the roof and that is what burns fat. i use an old tire with a plywood insert that allows for filling it with rocks. Attach ropes to the tire with 2 eye bolts. I use a 5’ pipe with an eye bolt in each end and a pair of rings.
Legs: forward (glutes + hammies)
backward (quads)
sidestep (everything)
sidestep - crossover (everything)
ankle drags - forward and back
Upperbody (with bar)
press
row
curl
tricep extension
(with rings)
flys
rows
cross-over rows
Do this for 30 min. straight and then call 911.
Fashion a water bottle hold on the sled with a bungee cord. Walking over to your water bottle is considered REST and is not allowed. Do the workout circuit style. When the legs get tired do upper body pull, then push, back to legs, etc.

I’ll be 60 years old in a few months and running is just too hard on the joints. Sledding is great cardio (whatever that is) and easier on the joints.

TNT

Thank you sir!

It is all about the diet.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
It is all about the diet.

[/quote]

You’re right. 90% diet and 10% training. I just covered the 10% part.

Training harder will never make up for a poor diet.

TNT