Sled Pulling For Cardio

Wanted people’s opinion/suggestions.
I am wanting to use a sled (I own one) for dragging to do my cardio. Presently I do either Deadlift or Squat (mixing up the two) every five days. Twice a week, I sprint (100 yard dashes) for cardio.

I am wondering if replacing the plain sprints with sled-dragging would be a productive alternative and if that risks overtraining, given the DLs and Squats I already do.

Also, if anybody else is doing dragging, I’d like to hear about what kinds of stuff you are doing.

I drag once a week from Spring to Fall … pulling 8 setss in each direction (front and back) in distances from 50 meters to 120 meters.

I’m sucking wind after every set, so it feels like cardio to me.

[quote]JFS wrote:
I drag once a week from Spring to Fall … pulling 8 setss in each direction (front and back) in distances from 50 meters to 120 meters.

I’m sucking wind after every set, so it feels like cardio to me.[/quote]

Yes, I know, it IS cardio. How much weight are you putting on your sled?

Do you do any other lower body weightlifting in combination? Any issues of overtraining?

I was thinking of doing regular sprints 1x a week and the sled dragging 1x a week. I live in California so I can do it pretty much all year round, save when it rains :slight_smile:

[quote]entheogens wrote:
JFS wrote:

I’m sucking wind after every set, so it feels like cardio to me.

Yes, I know, it IS cardio. How much weight are you putting on your sled?

Do you do any other lower body weightlifting in combination? Any issues of overtraining?

I was thinking of doing regular sprints 1x a week and the sled dragging 1x a week. I live in California so I can do it pretty much all year round, save when it rains :slight_smile:

[/quote]

I’ve got a smaller sled, which only holds 4 plates, so about 200 lbs. I vary the speed and distance as a pyramiding of sorts. I would compare it to 10-12 rep work in the gym.
I also squat and deadlift once a week, on separate days. No problems with over-training.