T Nation

Sled for GPP Work and Recovery

What's a good program?

One day a week start with 8 pulls for 10-15 secs w 45 secs rest between sets?

I'd rather do pulls than sprints - can you do pulls for such a short length of time.

The reason I'm over-complicating this is because I want to start out very light as I'm completely deconditioned at the moment (havent done anything but weights all year).

1. Put some weight on it and pull it around a bunch of different ways until you're tired.
  2. Come back later and pull it longer or with more weight.
  3. Profit.

Incomplete rest periods or complete?
How to get workload and intensity right?
I'm not talking about overtraining but fatigue is a very real problem for me - I'm currently in the middle of my first deload for 6 months - I need to stop going until I'm rundown. I need something a bit more clever than just do it til you puke.

if i'm doing sled work during my training week, i usually allow for more recovery than if i was going for an all out conditioning session. the other week, i did a bunch of sprints and pulls, and then squatted a personal best 1rm the next day.

if you're going for this sort of thing, you might just want to set a total volume, and let your fatigue levels dictate how much rest you need.

I think I might have found the answer to my question

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/the-prowler-sprint-test/

or one of the possible answers anyway, does anyone else know of any other systematic way to do prowler sprints?

You don't really need a system for GPP and recovery. You can go take a walk or just screw around, as long as it's different and not too tough. You might be overthinking this, you don't really need a program, you can just take a walk, or do some gardening, or just see how many different ways you can pull the sled with a small amount of weight on it. The important part of recovery is just moving around, you don't need to be intense about it.

here are some sled variations for conditioning