Sled Dragging

Hey everyone, I have a question. Has anyone ever made or has any ideas on how to make a sled for dragging? I looked online and most sleds are 140$+ and I think thats far to expensive for a “platform with some 45’s on it”.

Thanks for anyone who helps.

[quote]norcal_BALLER wrote:
Hey everyone, I have a question. Has anyone ever made or has any ideas on how to make a sled for dragging? I looked online and most sleds are 140$+ and I think thats far to expensive for a “platform with some 45’s on it”.

Thanks for anyone who helps.[/quote]

Tire with eye bolts and a wooden platform inside to keep ballast
(weight plates, bricks, rocks, sandbags, etc.) from falling out.

TNT

old wooden pallet, rope, heavy stuff stacked on top

Ross Enamait has a cool and effecient way of making a sled.

What he did is he bought a metal stamped circular sled and some thick manilla rope, tied the rope to the sled and adds as much weight as he wants using plates.

check this link for a more in depth description but thats the gist of it all.
www.rosstraining.com/articles/budget.html

The sled he uses costs around 20-30$ and you can get rope at your local hardware I would assume.

The only issue with building a sled is finding somewhere to buy a small piece of steel plate. Buying a full sheet of steel plate is a little bit much to build one sled. If you can find a small welding shop nearby you might be able to get them to build you one at a reasonable price.

All you really need is a piece of plate with a piece of 2" pipe welded onto it, and a ring to connect your harness to. I would look around your local area for some welding shops and see if you can get a better price. It will probably depend mostly on the shop and how much they want to charge for labor.

I have had this thought, but my lifting partner found a used one on ebay. A used one might be the cheapest option. I know it was the cheapest option for me.

I made one. Got a piece of plate, cut 6 inches off the front and welded on at a 45. Welded another piece of pipe to the center. Drilled a hole in the front and put a D ring through.

Got everything from scrap steel. Mine was a gift from the Sales Dept (I work for a steel company) but if I paid for it, would have cost about $20.

Well, I know a few ways:

1. Find an old tire. Slap a piece of wood on the inside of it to close up one side of it. Tie a rope around it. Throw the plates inside the tire.

2. Go to a metal shop or your local welder and tell him what you want. He can weld something together for a lot cheaper than buying a sled online.

You can get the material for straps at most hardware stores.

I have used a snow sled with my kids sitting on some 45’s. Whatever works

Other ideas in Poor Man’s Equipment thread.