Sled Construction Ideas

Folks

I want to build a sled to pull. I made a harness out of some 5/8" cotton rope.

Had been pulling it on a circular plastic snow sled but the sides ripped out.

If you have built one what material and configuration did you use to construct the sled.

Building it for my son who is 13. Looking for it to be able to support 100-150 ibs and it will be pulled over the grass.

1 old tire - Free from local tire store
2 screw in eyelets
About 16 feet of 1/2 inch chain
3 carabineers
1 piece of plywood

-Drill 2 holes through the tread of a tire for the eyelets.

-Screw the eyelets in and put a nut on the inside to hold it in.

-Attach each end of the chain to the eyelets with the carabineers, and at the middle of the chain, attach the harness with another carabineer

-Put plywood into tire to place weights on.

Pretty simple and durable. If you leave the tire outside, I would drill holes in the sidewall to let water drain out if it gets rained on.

Thanks Brutus.

[quote]Brutus35 wrote:
1 old tire - Free from local tire store
2 screw in eyelets
About 16 feet of 1/2 inch chain
3 carabineers
1 piece of plywood

-Drill 2 holes through the tread of a tire for the eyelets.

-Screw the eyelets in and put a nut on the inside to hold it in.

-Attach each end of the chain to the eyelets with the carabineers, and at the middle of the chain, attach the harness with another carabineer

-Put plywood into tire to place weights on.

Pretty simple and durable. If you leave the tire outside, I would drill holes in the sidewall to let water drain out if it gets rained on.[/quote]

Heck of an idea Brutus…
I think I’m gonna do that as well.
The only thing that I’m gonna do different is to cut one side of the tire out to make it easier to put the plywood in…

I built sandbags by filling heavy duty trash bags with 20lbs of sand. I purchased 2 large army duffle bags, each can hold 5 or 6 of the trash bags. I bought 20 feet of rope from home depot and loop it thru one of the handles on the duffle bag and use it for sled dragging. On grass only of course.

I use and old tire with a self threading I bolt , a tie down strap from my truck, a 100 pound sand bag, and my belt. no fuss, no muss.

EDIT: I have a piece of 2x6 in the middle instead of plywood. Another option is to just shove some 2x4 in the middle and attach what ever you are using to tow it there.

I used a tire that i got for free from local tire shop and some rope. I cut a slit in the tire and fed the rope through tied a not on the inside. cut some boards to fit inside the tire and i just throw some weights in it.

I have used an old tire with 2 x 4’s nailed to the inside. It works great on concrete but it would tear up grass pretty badly.
I’ve never tried it but I think that a tobbogan would work great for grass.

How about just pulling a 25 pound plate or something? Does that work? Just the plate on the floor and tied around your belt by rope.

I used the metal part of an old whell barrow. took the wheel and support structure off. Put two ey bolts through the front and use some rope before I get a sled strap.

Do you have a welder? If so, some plate, a washer, rebar and chain is all you need.

I had a local welder make on for me. Cost about $50, then I bought a small length of 5/8th chain from Lowes. I can post pictures if your interested.

Guys thanks for all the ideas. Keep em coming. Some good ideas here.

I have a welding torch at my shop. I can weld a bit. Not a finish guy by any stretch but good enough to make a sled.

Want to make something portable enough for my kid to handle on his own. (loading on the truck etc). The kids a real bull so I want to make sure I can add to the weight as his ability grows.

I built one out of wood. Just took some 2X4s for runners, and cut the front of them at 45 degrees so they would ride over obstacles, and glued/screwed them to several cross-pieces of 2X4, and added a pywood platform to put the weight on. I screwed 2 eyebolts in the front crosspiece to attach a strap. I usually load it up with sandbags and bungee them on. I only use it on grass, because I think concrete would tear it up.

What do you guys use for harnesses?

[quote]IronAbrams wrote:
What do you guys use for harnesses?[/quote]

I just loop the chain around my lifting belt. Not that I’ve gone to heavy with that method, that’s usually just for long walks with just a little bit of added weight

I am going to fourth (or fifth or sixth, whatever it is) the idea of using the old tire. OP, dont worry about the weight, I’ve done backwards drags with ~350 lbs and it held up fine.

[quote]IronAbrams wrote:

I don’t really like the feel of chain on my belt. I took a spare strap, tied in a loop, twisted in a figure eight, and put it on like a backpack.

In case that didn’t make sense: Just tie a strap in a circle. Twist it so it looks like the sign for infinity (a side ways eight). Put an arm in each hole like you were putting on a back pack.

Now you can use a carabiner to attach your pulling chain or strap. Or if your “harness” strap is thin enough, just slide it through the end link of your chain before you put it on.

AS for what you can use to make the “harness”, anything liek this will do:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100232018

[quote]IronAbrams wrote:

a tie down strap from my truck and my lifting belt

So, I was running with the pooch the other day, and lo and behold there was a tire someone had chucked away in a field… well, in light of this thread, I thought, jackpot! I have a woodworking friend who is giving me the scraps to be able to fix up a decent sled (he thought I was rather weird, haha).

In looking around the internet for pictures of a tire sled (I’m terrible at constructing anything without pictures) I came across the following site about how to make all sorts of strongman equipment at home. I thought it was pretty neat, so incase anyone else would benefit, thought I’d post it.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/24952-building-your-own-strongman-equipment.html

Here’s my “homemade” sled. Can be pushed or pulled in either direction. More pictures here: http://www.westcarybarbell.com/gallery1/thumbnails.php?album=11