SLDL Technique?

this new routine i am doing includes more compound exercises - some, like deadlifts and stiff legged dealifting which i have never previously done. a few questions for you more experienced guys. in the sldl u want a lot of the focus on your hams. u do this by pushing through your heels. i have forced myself to use my heels more by putting my toes on a 25 lb plate which worked pretty well. Any better suggestions for this?

additionally, i did dls yesterday using the rack. this worked out pretty well. i am really trying to focus on form rather than weight initially. ill get to the weight eventually. i was surprised to do 185 relatively effortlessly. i have no back pain today - yay. do u want to push through the heels with this exercise too?

yes push with the hells or through the middle of the foot. Make sure to keep the back neutral(straight) and use mainly the glutes and the hams to move the weight. No flexing in the lumbar spine.

yeah thats what i thought, thanks for the help

A mistake I used to make early on, with SLDL, was locking out the knees. There should be a slight bend in the knees.

I think you will find dead lifts to be a game changer. When I do them I keep back straight, ass out,chin slightly tucked and as mentioned let glutes and hams take the punishment. I make sure my arms stay close to body and I find going barefoot adds another 20 to 30 pounds.

In the article section there could be video demonstration.
Just keep strict form-if you keep strict form you will either lift it or drop it-avoiding injury.
Also, when performing pull all the way through so you squeeze shoulder blades slightly.

Also try some one legged dead lifts on squat day. I alternate one legged squats with dead lifts also. Thats a real burner.

good luck

thanks for the tips. it feels good to work my legs again. the tutorial here helped out a lot (deadlift part II). ill have to look at those one leg dls - do you do those with dumbells? i really need to get used to the motion of these exercises, maintain good form; then ill ramp up weight and cut down the reps a little.

[quote]wasBr0k3n wrote:
thanks for the tips. it feels good to work my legs again. the tutorial here helped out a lot (deadlift part II). ill have to look at those one leg dls - do you do those with dumbells? i really need to get used to the motion of these exercises, maintain good form; then ill ramp up weight and cut down the reps a little.[/quote]

The one legged squats just body weight(so challenging)-the dead lifts small weight or body weight. These are great when stranded at hotel or relatives.

I lock my shoulders to keep the back straight. The more the shoulders drop the greater chance the back will bend. As DZ stated, break the knees to release the tension on the lower back. Lift with the glutes and hammies and have “tons” of fun.