T Nation

SLD With ABBH

I was curious if SLD’s would be an effective exercise on the alternate leg day to front squats. I know deadlifts are great, but from an anatomical/ mechanical point of view is there any advantage/disadvantage to using SLD’s.

If anyone uses them in this program I’d love some feedback.

The only good alternatives to front squats are full squats with a high-bar position or hack squats. SLD are a hip dominant exercise, whereas front squats are quad-dominant. Stick to the original plan for best results.

I’ve been using a modified version of ABBH 2 with great results. My gym does not have any free weight barbells and I can’t squat heavy due to injuries sustained in the past. My substitute leg exercises are:

• Quad dominant: machine leg presses (with a weight stack)
  • Hip dominant: smith machine deadlifts

I realise that Smith machine deadlifts (full bent-leg movement - not stiff leg) might be regarded as awful from a biomechanics/injury perspective but they feel fine and I’ve been getting great results. Would appreciate any thoughts anyone may have on this approach though.

I actually use the Smith machine for a number of upper body movements too due to the lack of barbells. Again, the movements don’t feel unnatural or injury-prone but I can’t help being concerned as the Smith machine does appear to be a very poorly regarded piece of equipment.

Thanks for the response Chad but what I meant to inquire was the use of SLD as an alternative to regular deadlifts. Front squats are already used on the the LB day. As you said they are hip dominant so maybe they would be better suited for ABBH2 where you perscribe a hip dominant and quad dominant day. I just happen to hate regular deads {can’t do as much weight as with SLD} and I love doing SLD. Can you recommend a good alternative to regular dealifts thats not a squat variation or is it OK to do front and backsquats on on days 3 and 7 respectively?

SLD are a fine option to regular deads. But I would still recommend regular deads over SLD. Also, Good Mornings are a better choice compared to SLD if you despise deads.

All the more reason you should not only do the deads but make them a priority.

It is most often that the movements we are weakest at are the ones we hate. Also, it is the movements we hate that will give us the greatest result due to the new stimulus, and training of weak points.

Dorp the ego and the weight. Do some deads. Soon they will be up to/ or beyond your SLD weight, IF you make them, priority.

Just my 2 cc,
Phill

Nice post Phill, I could not agree more. I find deadlifts a very enjoyable lift because I am good at them compared to my alot of other lifts. On the other hand I hate good mornings because they beat the crap out of me. As a consequence I am deadlifting only occasionally and doing good mornings as much as i can stand.

You mentioned doing more weight on SDLs? I’m not very sure about that. Most people would SDLs as an accessory movement, to hit glutes/hams. The weight you can DL should definitely be more than you can do SDLs with.

Just something I noticed and that’s worth considering. Check your form and start light.

G

[quote]treaymelikeadog wrote:
Thanks for the response Chad but what I meant to inquire was the use of SLD as an alternative to regular deadlifts. Front squats are already used on the the LB day. As you said they are hip dominant so maybe they would be better suited for ABBH2 where you perscribe a hip dominant and quad dominant day. I just happen to hate regular deads {can’t do as much weight as with SLD} and I love doing SLD. Can you recommend a good alternative to regular dealifts thats not a squat variation or is it OK to do front and backsquats on on days 3 and 7 respectively? [/quote]

On another thread Chad indicated that trap bar deadlifts would be an excellent choice as an alternative to regular deadlifts.