Slacker Co-Workers

[quote]pja wrote:
You sound like a CAD monkey…stop acting as if you are Carl Gauss.[/quote]

No CAD monkey is getting an 8% performance raise after 7mo.

I don’t know wtf carl gauss is (ill google him in a sec), but designing things on CAD is only a portion of what i do. I go out on the floor and get my hands dirty all the time.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
If I had several guys in the same position as you and the other guy, and everyone’s level of productiveness meets my standards, I would rather sack YOU for being disruptive no matter how much more you think you can bring to the table.

The new James Bond movie sucked btw. I mean really really fucking sucked.[/quote]

Agreed. People who talk trash about and deliberately undercut their co-workers (even if their co-workers are ineffective) are poison.

Sorry to hear about Bond. I was looking forward to it.[/quote]

Well maybe you could say I’m adapting to the culture, our president will berrate some of my corowkers behind their backs…and he is usually right.

On the contrary, I’m absolutely ecstatic about some of my coworkers, and i am sure to let others know about the great work being done by them.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
If I had several guys in the same position as you and the other guy, and everyone’s level of productiveness meets my standards, I would rather sack YOU for being disruptive no matter how much more you think you can bring to the table.

The new James Bond movie sucked btw. I mean really really fucking sucked.[/quote]

If this guy was up to your standards (assuming youd are both of our bosses), then i would simply leave for working under a boss with such low standards. In fact, thats exaclty why i left the last place.

So being concerned about whats best for our company is disruptive? Cruising facebook all day is acceptable ( with an employee is doing adequate work)?

You would get rid of a high performer simply due to his concern for the companies bottom line? And you would never fire anyone for any other reason cause that might be, you know, disruptive.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

If this guy was up to your standards (assuming youd are both of our bosses), then i would simply leave for working under a boss with such low standards. In fact, thats exaclty why i left the last place.

So being concerned about whats best for our company is disruptive? Cruising facebook all day is acceptable ( with an employee is doing adequate work)?

You would get rid of a high performer simply due to his concern for the companies bottom line? And you would never fire anyone for any other reason cause that might be, you know, disruptive.[/quote]
Go start your own business then. Spend 10 years in the trenches starting with 1 or 2 employees to managing multiple people across different departments and levels. Then come back and tell me what you know about the bottomline.

High performers are still dispensible unless it’s some tiny little setup. Just remember that.

where i work bosses find it easier to push some people harder and barely bother slackers
the hard workers make up for the slackers
evens out in the end

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]pja wrote:

I don’t know wtf carl gauss is (ill google him in a sec), but designing things on CAD is only a portion of what i do. I go out on the floor and get my hands dirty all the time.[/quote]

The fact that you do not know who Carl Gauss is, and call yourself an engineer, means that you are pretty much a CAD monkey. Getting your hands dirty is what mechanics do.

[quote]cavemansam wrote:
where i work bosses find it easier to push some people harder and barely bother slackers
evens out in the end[/quote]

Other than that, how is communism working for ya?

[quote]pja wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]pja wrote:

I don’t know wtf carl gauss is (ill google him in a sec), but designing things on CAD is only a portion of what i do. I go out on the floor and get my hands dirty all the time.[/quote]

The fact that you do not know who Carl Gauss is, and call yourself an engineer, means that you are pretty much a CAD monkey. Getting your hands dirty is what mechanics do.[/quote]

Oh, Gauss…yea I’m bad with names. I only learned how to apply his theories and principles. Please explain exaclty what he has to do with CAD.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

You would get rid of a high performer simply due to his concern for the companies bottom line? And you would never fire anyone for any other reason cause that might be, you know, disruptive.[/quote]
Go start your own business then. Spend 10 years in the trenches starting with 1 or 2 employees to managing multiple people across different departments and levels. Then come back and tell me what you know about the bottomline.

High performers are still dispensible unless it’s some tiny little setup. Just remember that. [/quote]

So owning a business for 10 yrs is the pre-requisite for detecting whether or not someone is positively or negatively affecting the bottom line,

Got it.

Hired 2 months ago… too early to mess with him. He may be a relative of someone, someone’s nephew, whatever. Get a few people over on your side, but discreetly. Raise the general awareness, but quietly. Toss some vague rumors his way.

I work in a sea of slackers, but they’re largely untouchables. I have a crazy work load but bang out anything important right away, so I have some slacking time myself. Like cleansing your palate when you’re out to eat. Can’t keep your head down all the time.

I worked in this one machine shop when I was about 26… we were graded largely on how fast and how accurately we made parts. I was the only kid in the shop for maybe 2 years and more younger people came in, so it wound up being the old vs the new. We got together and found ways to work faster, shared ideas and new techniques. Not that these old farts were going anywhere, but we had a ton of fun with it.

i ‘harass’ slackers on a regular basis
because of my apperance they dont say much back

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]cavemansam wrote:
evens out in the end[/quote]

Other than that, how is communism working for ya?[/quote]

I think you have an idealized view of work. People browsing the web, screwing around on social media, loafing, reading non-work-related material, taking care of personal errands or online shopping while on the job, conscientious workers having work shifted onto them to make up for slackers–this shit goes on at a so many places that one might be out of a job or job hopping indefinitely til they found a workplace where everyone was working and following rules all the time.

I do not condone inappropriate behavior on the job, and I’ve had extra crap thrown at me because I am conscientious while not only slacking, but totally careless, employees got away with laziness and unprofessionalism. No, it’s not fair. You seem passionate about your work, which is good, but sometimes as an adult you have to also be a bit disconnected and accept that if your work is good and you are staying out of trouble and you are well liked, and your paycheck comes every week, then it’s best to just continue that way and don’t start trouble unless someone was really infringing on your performance.

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who sign the front of the check, and those who sign the back of the check. You sign the back.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

High performers are still dispensible unless it’s some tiny little setup. Just remember that. [/quote]

So owning a business for 10 yrs is the pre-requisite for detecting whether or not someone is positively or negatively affecting the bottom line,

Got it.
[/quote]
Lol I’m not saying that. I’m saying I wouldn’t listen to you.

Does your co-worker get stuff done? There is a big difference between slacking when there are things to do, and ‘slacking’ after you finished your work for the day.

If your co-worker is salary, he is not paid by the hour. I would much rather have a worker work hard for 4 hours, get things done and ‘slack’ for the rest of the day than have somebody ‘work’ for 8 hours but not getting things done. I’ve experienced people who put in long hours who get nothing done, as well as people who put in short hours but the time they put in is very valuable.

If he is in fact not producing, his boss should notice and it will be reflected in his reviews or he will get fired. It seems like this is the case and you won’t have to bring it to his boss’ attention as it should be obvious compared to what you are producing.

Also, think about how personal some people take work stuff.

You said this slacker guy has a different manager, or supervisor or whatever, than you do. If you;
-Critique “his” dude
-Start talking about who gets paid what
-Have a plan for how YOU and the owners are going to the next level
-Generally stir up shit

It’s going to look like you are angling for the other manager’s job. Most of the time, people don’t like that.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]pja wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]pja wrote:

The fact that you do not know who Carl Gauss is, and call yourself an engineer, means that you are pretty much a CAD monkey. Getting your hands dirty is what mechanics do.[/quote]

Oh, Gauss…yea I’m bad with names. I only learned how to apply his theories and principles. Please explain exaclty what he has to do with CAD.
[/quote]

My point is some High Schools have machine shop and CAD classes…not exactly earth shattering as intellectual endeavours go. Have you maybe thought that this guy is just smarter than you and can get as much (or more) done as you in half the time…??

Look at his internet history when he’s on the can then hint to your boss that work computers should get those websites blocked

[quote]Iron Condor wrote:
Look at his internet history when he’s on the can then hint to your boss that work computers should get those websites blocked[/quote]

I still think that’s irrelevant. If he gets his work done, who cares if he’s on facebook?

It should be about his work, which is the responsibility of his manager.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]pja wrote:

Hahaha. There is so many dumbass garbage engineers these days.

Don’t make enemies at work unnecessarily. You never know when or how someone will be able to knife you in the back; conversely, someone you have developed a rapport with may unexpectedly stick up for you or help you out in some way in the future.

You need to change your mindset so that this does not bother you, because you will be dealing with this issue for so long as you are employed.