T Nation

Slacker Co-Workers


#1

Background: September 2014 I started a new job at a high volume machine shop. Since that time I have gotten a lot done. In fact, I've been productive enough and I have saved the company enough money to where I earned a 8% raise due to my stellar performance. I am a monster at work.

This September, we hired another engineer. This guy has a different boss than I do, but we work right next to each other in an office.

Now I am noticing more and more that overtime I come into the office, or glance over at hime he is fucking around on Facebook on his phone, he is on the internet fucking around, or as was the case the last two days, he was sitting there reading through a "project management workshop" pamphlet (for hours). I'd say by my (conservative) estimate, less than half of his day is spent getting any work done.

And this shit drives me nuts! We are understaffed as is, we don't have enough (good) Engineers hired, and we really don't have the money to hire many more at this point.

Here I am sprinting through my projects, getting plenty done, and I am sitting next to this turd who doesn't seem to be getting a damn thing done. Hell, I even started my own time log for myself to fill out and I asked my boss for percentages of how much time I should spend on each project, this has helped me to be more productive and poignant in my work.

What can I do about this guy? Should I say something to my boss?

You might be thinking "mind your own business Carbiduis", well in a way I am. The money we are paying him to do nothing would be better spent on a raise for me. Everyday I work my ASS off cause I love what I do, I'm a hard worker, and I am hunting down another raise.

You might say "Life ain't fair". I have a hard time accepting this, I'm here to make sure my life is fair as much as possible. And if I find out that this guy is making close to what I make (some subtle clue at this point make me believe that he might be), and the company doesn't want to change that (by either firing him or giving me another raise) I will simply take control and leave to another job.

It is not good for our company to keep this guy, and it wouldn't be good for the company if I left.


#2

If your assessment is correct the situation will take care of itself. I doubt your duties include evaluating your co-workers. One can not be a star player and the referee simultaneously.


#3

Totally rat on him. He would do it to you.


#4

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
If your assessment is correct the situation will take care of itself. I doubt your duties include evaluating your co-workers. One can not be a star player and the referee simultaneously. [/quote]

^agreed^


#5

This is the second place you’ve played this game at. Hold your own (which you seem to do easily) and let others sort themselves out.


#6

[quote]GorillaMon wrote:

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
If your assessment is correct the situation will take care of itself. I doubt your duties include evaluating your co-workers. One can not be a star player and the referee simultaneously. [/quote]

^agreed^[/quote]

Yup


#7

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

Now I am noticing more and more that overtime I come into the office, or glance over at hime he is fucking around on Facebook on his phone, he is on the internet fucking around, or as was the case the last two days, he was sitting there reading through a “project management workshop” pamphlet (for hours). I’d say by my (conservative) estimate, less than half of his day is spent getting any work done.

[/quote]

You’re surprised by this stuff? :slight_smile: It’s actually the norm now.


#8

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#9

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

Now I am noticing more and more that overtime I come into the office, or glance over at hime he is fucking around on Facebook on his phone, he is on the internet fucking around, or as was the case the last two days, he was sitting there reading through a “project management workshop” pamphlet (for hours). I’d say by my (conservative) estimate, less than half of his day is spent getting any work done.

[/quote]

You’re surprised by this stuff? :slight_smile: It’s actually the norm now. [/quote]

Op- Without you needig to say more, and even if you say otherwise I know that your coworker is one of these guys: https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/11/05/baby-boomers-are-whats-wrong-with-americas-economy/


#10

Some pretty reasonable advice so far, I guess I just put my head down and continue on my path. I am going to have a hard time doing this, but I’ll try.

The other option would be that I constantly bust this guys balls and get all over his case for slacking. FWIW he was fired from his last job.

“Hey whats up on Facebook”!?!

“The new star wars looks pretty sweet…are you gonna download it and watch it at work”?

“Have you seen the new jame bond movie yet? It would probably make a good movie to watch here at work”

“How’s your _____ project coming along”?

etc. I want to have fun with this guy, make him extremely uncomfortable. This place breeds unprofessionalism, so I could get away with quite a bit of shit I reckon.


#11

His performance/productivity is between his manager and himself. It is all of zero of your business.

You worked hard, you were rewarded. That’s not enough? You need to be the punisher of the workplace? If you’re under some misguided notion that more hands = less work, you are sorely mistaken.


#12

The idea of doing stuff like that sounds fun, but the actual of it amounts to running a guy out of the place he makes a living. Not really the best use of time and energy.


#13

[quote]Mcincinatti wrote:

Op- Without you needig to say more, and even if you say otherwise I know that your coworker is one of these guys: https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/11/05/baby-boomers-are-whats-wrong-with-americas-economy/ [/quote]

Thanks for this article. Many think my generation, the millennial, are the lazy ones in the workforce. While it is true that many in my generation are lazy, the laziest and most incompetent workers I’ve seen in the workforce in the past decade are mostly early baby boomers, some of whom collect high five figure to six to figure salaries while doing almost nothing all day. What many of these ingrates don’t realize is that many of us have caught onto them, and while some of their generation did in fact pave the way for some of us, many of us are more astute, more technically inclined, quicker, more adaptable, and (gasp) wiser than them.


#14

If I had several guys in the same position as you and the other guy, and everyone’s level of productiveness meets my standards, I would rather sack YOU for being disruptive no matter how much more you think you can bring to the table.

The new James Bond movie sucked btw. I mean really really fucking sucked.


#15

[quote]dt79 wrote:
If I had several guys in the same position as you and the other guy, and everyone’s level of productiveness meets my standards, I would rather sack YOU for being disruptive no matter how much more you think you can bring to the table.

The new James Bond movie sucked btw. I mean really really fucking sucked.[/quote]

Agreed. People who talk trash about and deliberately undercut their co-workers (even if their co-workers are ineffective) are poison.

Sorry to hear about Bond. I was looking forward to it.


#16

Why do you think you’d get another raise if he was out of the picture? Wouldn’t they just hire someone else?


#17

You sound like a CAD monkey…stop acting as if you are Carl Gauss.


#18

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#19

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

The new James Bond movie sucked btw. I mean really really fucking sucked.[/quote]

You’re right, it was not all that good.

I did get a BJ while watching the first 10 minutes, however, and that caused me to take a nap for the next 20 minutes so now I’m going to have to watch it again to see just how much it sucked.

Bottom line is there was quite a bit of sucking goin’ on.

Anyway…carry on.

I kid ye not.[/quote]
I owe you awe lol.

The first 20mins was actually the only part worth watching. Go watch The Walk instead if it’s still showing.


#20

[quote]Iron Condor wrote:
Why do you think you’d get another raise if he was out of the picture? Wouldn’t they just hire someone else?[/quote]

I’ll get another raise regardless. I see myself, my boss, and a few others taking this company to another level within a few years, we don’t have room for guys like this.

Thats what they need to do, hire someone else.