SkyzykS's Keep Hitting It Until It Works Again Log

Was run down but restless so I hit some pump type stuff on ohp and curls. Repped out till failure which was 15 reps with 70 lbs on ohp and stopped at 15 on curls with 50 lbs. for like 5 sets each.Did some pauses and slow negatives to really sink them in.

It worked. I was no longer restless and I feel a little better for having done it.

5 Likes

So, @TrainForPain , I spoke with my friend about the diuretic/kidney stuff. He said that the two main factors for kidney health with to be concerned with are blood pressure and particle size, referring to proteins, as those are the main culprits in damaging the nephrons.

For assurance purposes, he also told me that
Stages-of-KD-768x627

Most people are at stage one or two and never even know it. It’s once you get to the lower end of 3 that you really have problems, like 30% and below.

His tips were #1 stay hydrated, keep fluids flowing. #2 reduce protein if necessary, and due to lasix (furosemide) be sure to keep a good intake of potassium, which is a bit contradictory to the kidney diet which controls/reduces potassium intake, but you have to balance for lesser of evils. Too little causes electrolyte imbalance, and potassium does have very good effects on reducing blood pressure. Too much can also come with its own set of problems.

If necessary, referred to

A lot of good info there on renal diet.

And staying on top of the status of the gfr, staying in contact with a doctor.

1 Like

Thanks man!

That was my concern at this last draw: I crept into stage 3 territory. I’m drinking 4+ L of water a day; I think I’m just having trouble outpacing the diuretic.

That’s good info on the potassium. That’s not something I’ve paid attention to; and I know it’s supposed to help balance sodium a bit too. I’ll try paying attention there and we’ll see what happens at the next draw in a couple months.

I appreciate it!

1 Like

Potassium is a doozy! I actually had to quit eating as much pineapple as I used to because between the potassium, bromelaine, and heart meds my bp would drop into like dangerous low territory.

Part of the plague of modern eating is having the sodium/potassium relationship completely backwards, instead of 35-4500 mg. K and 1500-2000 S.

1 Like

Wait for real? How much pineapple? My BP is barely high enough for medication. If a pound of pineapple takes me off, let’s do that

1 Like

Like a cup. I’d snack on it regularly, but I really noticed a big difference my first time through cardiac rehab. I started having a tuna & pineapple salad for lunch so I’d be fueled up for the exertion, but it would drop me to from like 110/70, +/- a few, to like mid 50’s/ mid 60’s.

If your potassium intake in general is low and sodium high then knocking sodium down and getting the potassium up can make a significant difference.

I like the fresh cubed containers my grocery store has in the produce section. I don’t know how common that is, but it’s awesomely convenient.

In addition to that I also typically include red skinned potatoes, succhini, yellow squash, and year round pumpkin puree (pie) shakes.

1 Like

Thanks man! I’m sure my potassium is off simply because it’s not something I’ve paid attention to. I have consciously reduced my sodium intake, to some positive benefit, but potatoes and pineapples are an easy add.

1 Like

Haven’t posted a whole lot. Weekend work stuff got me pretty run down.

So today was just cutting the grass, but I ended up cutting the neighbors too, because their lawnmower is broken and I’m having kiddos birthday party on sunday, and our yards are connected. So kids, dogs, fun, yay!

That whooped me though.

Then food. Haven’t made myself a nice stir fry in a while, so

Teriyaki sirloin with red onions and sweet red peppers. :yum:

That’s a really crappy picture. :confused:

3 Likes

Needed to get something in. It can’t all be blurry dark food pics and pineapple talk.:laughing:

2x10 single leg split squats (body weight)

2x10 burpees.

Generally run down, low energy. :man_shrugging: What can ya do? Maybe tomorrow.

4 Likes

Before I head out for the day I just need to express that I have no idea what the he’ll I’m doing.

There. Now I can move forward.

Thanks. Bye. :+1:

3 Likes

Not all who are lost wander!

1 Like

Oh, I found it!

Filed under big things that go CLUNK!

Now I just have to unclunck it. :thinking:

2 Likes

Newest addition to the SkyzykS family-

Kiddos birthday present. There’s another too, but the little bugger is very elusive.
@anna_5588

7 Likes

KITTY!!!
I want kitty

Happy Birthday to your son!

1 Like

Lazers and kittens!

5 Likes

Tonight: deadlifts

Warmed up, 3 quick reps with 90 & 140.

Then sets of 5 with 190 & 240

Singles with 290, 300, 310, 325.

5 singles with 250.

All of which was surprising as I just wasn’t feeling it. Inner monologue was saying “just do some pump stuff and mail it in.”. But the other part was saying “Ah, go ahead and just do a couple pulls.”.

And then some Slayer came up on my playlist. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Here’s an oldie. Never mind the date on the pic. 9 years ago.

10 Likes

Some active recovery after last nights hijinks.

It’s getting to be campfire season and Smores!

4 Likes

No real lifting stuff lately. I got the 325 earlier this week, but it got me pretty good too. The “active recovery” didn’t help. Oh well. Live and learn.

Today was unstucking the truck stuff from a few posts back. That stuff takes its toll in its own way.

But I got a shiny new toy set. An oxy-acetylene torch kit.

@ChickenLittle :smiley:

It went through ½in. plate like butter, so I’m excited about that!

3 Likes

Very nice! That looks like a great set up. You will be able to tear all kinds of stuff up and put it back together again!