Skull Crushers... Elbows In or Out?

I know for bench press elbows should be tucked in but what about skull crushers? Elbows in or flared out?

I’m hearing a clicking noise in my left elbow at bottom of movement, not really painful though.

[quote]hit the gym wrote:
I know for bench press elbows should be tucked in but what about skull crushers? Elbows in or flared out?

I’m hearing a clicking noise in my left elbow at bottom of movement, not really painful though.[/quote]

This is the bodybuilding forum. Your elbows shouldn’t be tucked in if you want to build your chest when bench pressing.

Drop the skull crushers. Theyre not worth the pain. Plenty of other exercises can provide results without the risk to elbow/forearm tendons.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
hit the gym wrote:

I’m hearing a clicking noise in my left elbow at bottom of movement, not really painful though.

This is the bodybuilding forum. Your elbows shouldn’t be tucked in if you want to build your chest when bench pressing.

Drop the skull crushers. Theyre not worth the pain. Plenty of other exercises can provide results without the risk to elbow/forearm tendons. [/quote]

x2

I dropped skullcrushers and my elbows are thanking me every day

I do them flared out a little. Feel 'em more throughout the tri that way.

I cut them out as well. I went heavy one day with them a few weeks ago, my left elbow is still reminding me that was a mistake.

I keep elbows in and have no prob doing them with around 115-120 lbs with no pain.

I agree with 2 posts above - whenever I have had these in my programs, it’s almost like instant tendinitis.

There are other alternatives that work equally as well, and don’t risk injury.

i do heavy skull crushers.

i have big triceps.

i win

I flare my elbows out, otherwise it hurts my shoulders and elbows.

first off…

david tower, your avatar is fucking great hahaha…

second, i guess i am one of the lucky ones who dont feel pain in my elbows from these (knock on wood) mine tend to flare out as i go up in weight. also hurts the shoulders if i keep them tucked in

what did you replace skull crushers with for triceps just wondering, i dont have access to dips :frowning: Just dumbells/barbells
Thanks

Years ago whenever I did skull crushers I got some bad case of tendinosis so I replaced them by closed grip bench press. But 1 year ago after years without doing skull crushers, I tried them again and until now with no problem (working load up to 100 lbs)
I guess heavy closed grip bench press finally strengthened my tendons.

I try to tuck my elbows in.

Leave skulls, or should I say…elbow crushers.

Do: Dips to parallel (don’t go below 90 degrees), CGBP, kickbacks and push downs.

[quote]kaoticz wrote:
what did you replace skull crushers with for triceps just wondering, i dont have access to dips :frowning: Just dumbells/barbells
Thanks[/quote]

Yes you do, do dips on two chairs instead.

kickbacks?

What are you doing for triceps right now?

I added them to my workout for the first time last year. Nothing ever made my triceps grow better! I also developed a really bad case of elbow tendinitis which took 7 months to heal. So I say avoid them.

[quote]Hazza1989 wrote:

Do: Dips to parallel (don’t go below 90 degrees), CGBP, kickbacks and push downs. [/quote]

No offense meant by this but you have just started training a few months ago. Do you think that you are in a position to give exercise advice?

[quote]giterdone wrote:
Hazza1989 wrote:

Do: Dips to parallel (don’t go below 90 degrees), CGBP, kickbacks and push downs.

No offense meant by this but you have just started training a few months ago. Do you think that you are in a position to give exercise advice?[/quote]

Yeh ill agree giterdone on this, and suggesting kickbacks in the same sentence as CGBP? Tsk tsk tsk.

[quote]bams_101 wrote:
giterdone wrote:
Hazza1989 wrote:

No offense meant by this but you have just started training a few months ago. Do you think that you are in a position to give exercise advice?

Yeh ill agree giterdone on this, and suggesting kickbacks in the same sentence as CGBP? Tsk tsk tsk.[/quote]

Again, I’m not picking on anyone but advice on how to progress really needs to be based on experience not just articles read. And, anyone reading opinions of others on a forum need to use critical judgment and consider the source. No genius attack there I’m sure.