Skull Crusher Variation

A friend of mine was doing a variation on a skull crusher the other day that I found very interesting. Basically, he would use a very heavy weight, go down like a normal skull crusher, but then basically do a narrow grip bench on the positive portion of the lift. I see the logic of using a heavy weight for the negative portion, he does have huge triceps and can bench 4 plates.

Just thought I would share, I plan on incorporating this to strengthen my tri’s and increase my bench.

Nice, thanks.

[quote]Z-Man wrote:
A friend of mine was doing a variation on a skull crusher the other day that I found very interesting. Basically, he would use a very heavy weight, go down like a normal skull crusher, but then basically do a narrow grip bench on the positive portion of the lift. I see the logic of using a heavy weight for the negative portion, he does have huge triceps and can bench 4 plates.

Just thought I would share, I plan on incorporating this to strengthen my tri’s and increase my bench. [/quote]

Be mindful that it can aggrevate the shoulder due to the rotation (bringing it to the chest) with the heavy weight.
If that starts to bug you, go to another exercise, but otherwise, yes, this variation is pretty decent for overload.

[quote]AllTraps wrote:

Be mindful that it can aggrevate the shoulder due to the rotation (bringing it to the chest) with the heavy weight.
If that starts to bug you, go to another exercise, but otherwise, yes, this variation is pretty decent for overload.[/quote]

That’s a good point, I’ll be mindful of it. Cheers

sounds like a JM press.

I have used that method to perform a couple of negative reps at the end of a set. Never thought of using it straight through. Be sure to warm up the tris/elbows first to avoid tendonitis that can come with the heavier weights.