Skull Crusher Alternatives?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you guy’s knew any alternatives to Skull Crushers. I can’t do them in my gym when it’s packed, so any help would be appreciated.

Also:

“Skull crushers/PJR’s 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps” what does PJR mean?

“Deadlifts 1 set of 5 reps (work up/ramp up to 5)” what does work up/ramp up to 5 mean?

Thx in advance for any help.

rope pressdowns, diamond pushups. There are tons of alternatives

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
rope pressdowns, diamond pushups. There are tons of alternatives[/quote]

Thx for the quick answer. I googled both options and they will both work just fine. I’m thinking that in a low rep routine the rope pressdowns will be better cause I will be able to weight them.

close grip bench
close grip incline bench
rolling triceps extensions, personal fav.

[quote]Pinta wrote:

“Skull crushers/PJR’s 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps” what does PJR mean?

“Deadlifts 1 set of 5 reps (work up/ramp up to 5)” what does work up/ramp up to 5 mean?

[/quote]

PJR’s are a more elbow friendly-extension, really it’s the long head of the triceps IMO.

The ‘ramping question’ means you are only doing one ‘top’ set. So hypothetically, if your 5 rep DL max is 315, your sets may look like this:

225x5
255x4
285x3
305x2
315x5 <— this one being the only set taken near faliure

Or at least that’s how I ramp. You could eliminate the 305 set, and do every one othose sets for 5 reps. You could Make larger jumps in weights before each set. Doesn’t matter. Point of ramping up is basically to prepare yourself for your heaviest, top set, while not tiring yourself out before said set. Just play around with it, you’ll find what’s best.

I like these seated dumb bell tricep extensions: Seated Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extension - YouTube

Also these: We just call the Kennellys Triceps-extension Kennelly style - YouTube

Dips are also good.

I like the seated overhead dumbbell extension, like what ouroboro posted, but I like to do mine with back-support. You should be able to move to a pretty decent weight fairly quickly if you’re of moderate strength, 100lbs+ quickly. Feels great, too, and is easy to get into position.

If your gym is lucky enough to have one… there are some EXTREMELY awesome overhead triceps extension machines that can work all sorts of nasty angles and can adjust to leverages. Mix, match, experiment, and find what works best! Never dismiss anything.

Wow guys thx for all the replies, the videos were really helpfull. I’m from Argentina so I don’t know all the name’s in English, I alway’s google the exercises later so that was really helpfull.

I have done PJR’s before but I didn’t know they were called that, I used to call them “Pullover’s”. I like the idea of the Seated Dumbell Tricep Extension’s though cause I feel that could really help me with my posture, (as a teenager I had a slight crooked back, escoleosis).

Also Spidey22 you answered the “ramp up to” question perfectly, very clear.

Cheers, helpfull thread.

Good tricep thread.

I like Tate’s Tricep Presses and decline dumbbell semi-supinated presses (keeping the dumbbells low on the chest and tight to the body). Standing French Presses are awesome alternatives, too.

[quote]Pinta wrote:

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
rope pressdowns, diamond pushups. There are tons of alternatives[/quote]

Thx for the quick answer. I googled both options and they will both work just fine. I’m thinking that in a low rep routine the rope pressdowns will be better cause I will be able to weight them.[/quote]

i’m nitpicking, but i like rope pressdowns more as a higher rep/finisher movement because of the end of the movement when you flare out to activate the lateral head of the triceps more. it’s kinda hard to do that properly when you’re doing it relatively heavy/low reps imo.