T Nation

Skipping Rope

it’s a great exercise that I would like to include in my conditioning plan. The problem is that within about 2 minutes of skipping, I find myself having to stop. Not because of poor stamina, but just because the muscle at the base of my thumb starts to hurt like hell. It just feels like a great deal of lactic acid starts to accumulate there.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what modifications I could make in order to not be limited by something like this?

change how you’re holding the rope?

[quote]kligor wrote:
it’s a great exercise that I would like to include in my conditioning plan. The problem is that within about 2 minutes of skipping, I find myself having to stop. Not because of poor stamina, but just because the muscle at the base of my thumb starts to hurt like hell. It just feels like a great deal of lactic acid starts to accumulate there.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what modifications I could make in order to not be limited by something like this?[/quote]

Try adjusting your grip throughout, not just when it starts to hurt. That might stave it off for a bit.

If it continues to be a problem you could look at getting a t-grip speed rope. google search it and you’l find some for sale.

I’ve tried several different grips, but the problem persists.

[quote]Stuey wrote:
kligor wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what modifications I could make in order to not be limited by something like this?

Try adjusting your grip throughout, not just when it starts to hurt. That might stave it off for a bit.

If it continues to be a problem you could look at getting a t-grip speed rope. google search it and you’l find some for sale.

[/quote]

I looked it up on google, but they had very mixed results, so I’m not quite sure what it is. Is it simply a rope with wider handles?

http://www.amazon.com/Reebok-Speed-Jump-Rope/dp/B000N9H4P2

the above is the rope that I picked up at an Academy for like 3-4 bucks. I have really liked it.

What I do is i switch the grip from

A) rope comes out from between my thumb and index finger (the one you use now)

and

B) The rope comes out from between my index and middle finger.

Eventually your thumb will become used to the holding and it won’t hurt any more. but try this grip when you’re just skipping normal. Use the thumb grip when you are doing tricks and doubles etc.

-chris

[quote]mattnxtc wrote:

the above is the rope that I picked up at an Academy for like 3-4 bucks. I have really liked it. [/quote]

Kligor, this is the type of rope I was referring to. You see the T-grip?
I takes the pressure off your thumbs so it would alleviate your problem.

However, my first preference would be to just keep at it with a standard rope, your grip will improve to the point where you can keep going. I used to have the same problem, now I can skip for like 30 mins variable speed using a heavy leather rope and am able to use a weighted steel rope for shorter periods.

I don’t know what type of rope you are using, I had a reebok leather rope with a plastic handle that had sponge grips, if you have similar I found it really helped to remove the sponge grip and hold directly on the plastic handle.

[quote]mattnxtc wrote:

the above is the rope that I picked up at an Academy for like 3-4 bucks. I have really liked it. [/quote]

thanks for the link, Matt.

[quote]Avocado wrote:
What I do is i switch the grip from

A) rope comes out from between my thumb and index finger (the one you use now)

and

B) The rope comes out from between my index and middle finger.

Eventually your thumb will become used to the holding and it won’t hurt any more. but try this grip when you’re just skipping normal. Use the thumb grip when you are doing tricks and doubles etc.

-chris[/quote]

Thanks, Chris. That’s an interesting variation, but how much control do you have over the rope with the second option?

[quote]Stuey wrote:
mattnxtc wrote:

the above is the rope that I picked up at an Academy for like 3-4 bucks. I have really liked it.

Kligor, this is the type of rope I was referring to. You see the T-grip?
I takes the pressure off your thumbs so it would alleviate your problem.

However, my first preference would be to just keep at it with a standard rope, your grip will improve to the point where you can keep going. I used to have the same problem, now I can skip for like 30 mins variable speed using a heavy leather rope and am able to use a weighted steel rope for shorter periods.

I don’t know what type of rope you are using, I had a reebok leather rope with a plastic handle that had sponge grips, if you have similar I found it really helped to remove the sponge grip and hold directly on the plastic handle.[/quote]

I think the problem may be after all that the handles of my rope are too narrow. If anyone knows Canadian currency here, it is about the diameter of a nickel, about 1-1.5 cm.

I’m guesing then that you have a nylon speed rope type rope?

Couple of suggestons:

• Try getting a leather rope with a thicker handle.

• You could tape up the handle using tennis racket grip or somthing.

I found that when I got good at skipping I would wear through the nylon ropes quite quickly, they heat up and stretch near the handle, and eventually just ping off! When this happened for the second time I bought a leather one and it has lasted for years. Somehting to think about…

Skipping rope is very good.
I like it but when I do it ,the day after my knees always hurt a bit.
It’s so annoying.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

So I guess first thing I’ll try is using the different grip, and if that doesn’t work, I’ll buy the t-grip, or leather skipping rope.

…and to a fellow Canadian-
Have you thought of weighted handles for
that rope??

cheers,mate.

wil,
Kingston,Ontario,Ca