Skipping (Jump Rope) = Sprinting?

Hey guys, I would like to know how much skipping one would have to do to get the same workout as a 400m sprint?
Any help would be awesome, thanks.

Why not just do the 400m sprint, would be a hell of a lot quick and higher intensity.

space/time. I know it’s an awkward question but It would be very hard for me to do a 400m sprint where I live. Trust me :slight_smile:

[quote]james20809 wrote:
Hey guys, I would like to know how much skipping one would have to do to get the same workout as a 400m sprint?
Any help would be awesome, thanks.[/quote]

there is no amount of jump roping that would be equivalent.

[quote]james20809 wrote:
space/time. I know it’s an awkward question but It would be very hard for me to do a 400m sprint where I live. Trust me :)[/quote]

Prison?

Haha, no not prison:P
lol

Yea def not equivalent at all. You would have to jump alot higher than usual but not too high, and its just a much different exercise. Stresses your body much differently as well…

Jump as fast as humanly possible for about 90 seconds and that should be close enough to a 400m sprint.

[quote]bigsd67 wrote:
Jump as fast as humanly possible for about 90 seconds and that should be close enough to a 400m sprint.[/quote]

I disagree. I jump rope almost every day and I used to run many many sprints.

They are pretty different even when going all out getting your knees high.

Plus you have to be damn good at jump roping to go all out for 90 seconds without fucking up.

where do you live, if you don’t mind me asking?

Not at all, I live in the Uk. In Somerset.

You can’t replicate the “running” part of the 400m, but you can skip rope and really get your heart rate up. From a cardio perspective, your heart does not care what motion us being used, all it is going to do is beat faster or slower. I have maxed out my heart rate with rope intervals. You may need to allow some cumulative fatigue to bulid up before you really get your heart rate up, depending on your level of conditioning.

Doing some double unders(two rope turns each jump) has some sprinting intensity. I also like jump rope sprints with high knees for longer intervals.
Its a good cardio but not quite the same effect of sprints.

I do a rope circuit before I work on the heavy bag, and while it won’t be the same as sprinting, doing doubles like has been mentioned is good. Also, bring your knees to chest during a ‘sprint’ time frame (30 secs or so, if you can manage that), as well as doing X’s (crossing your hands to make the rope fold as it goes under you). You can also try closing your hands and swinging the rope quickly on either side of you (think like Rocky in the movie training montage) as you go knees to chest.

But just generally, if you’re looking to make it as sprint-like as possible, do 30 seconds on as fast as you can go (doubles, triples), then a minute easy, wash, rinse, repeat, collapse.

Best of luck,
TW