Skipping for Conditioning

I’ve been doing this 1-2x/week recently alongside lifting and Muay Thai (which also contains lots of rope work):

[quote]Ross Enamait wrote:

As for sample routines, one that I have performed for several years includes the following.

5 minutes continuous skipping (freestyle) â?? rest 60 seconds
5 x 60 seconds (sprint in place) â?? rest 30 seconds between intervals
5 x 30 seconds (sprint in place) â?? rest 15 seconds between intervals

[/quote]

The whole thing lasts about 17 minutes and trains several energy systems as well as coordination and agility. I like it.

That looks intense. Is there a vid? I’m interpreting “sprinting” several ways…

I don’t think Ross did a video of the whole thing; neither did I. Sprinting, in this case, means alternating steps, high knees. The intensity will depend on one’s proficiency with the rope - I manage about 120-140 steps/minute when I do sprints, it almost looks like Ross could double that :smiley:

It IS a very taxing session from a cardiovascular and calf endurance standpoint. And you sweat like a pig; I’m not kidding you, nothing, including sparring in warm weather, had made me sweat this much in a long time. However, it’s surprisingly easy to recover from - it usually takes me less than 30 minutes after I’m done to get back to baseline levels concerning RHR, body heat, perceived fatigue etc.

PS Again, not a video showing the whole session, but an explanation for the ‘sprinting’:

That’s funny, “sprinting” in place with high knees and double unders were exactly what I was thinking of. Thanks for the vid man.

I love skipping for some extra conditioning work, but I always find I over-do things and I get some patella irritation.

Anyone else find this? Anything I can do to prevent this?

tweet

Easing into it would be the easiest bet. Funny, I occasionally get shin splints but my knees never get bothered from skipping. Do you do it on a padded surface and/or wearing shoes with padded soles?

[quote]theBird wrote:
I love skipping for some extra conditioning work, but I always find I over-do things and I get some patella irritation.

Anyone else find this? Anything I can do to prevent this?

tweet[/quote]

Do you wear a neoprene knee sleeve? I found it really helps.

I need to use this for motivation to get back on the jump rope. Thanks for posting this.

skipping is VERY conducive to throwing knees

Instead of aimlessly prancing around, I try to work out the footing while skipping

Think switch kicks