T Nation

Skiploading for Fat Loss

What do you think about Skip Hill’s practice of eating massive amounts of carbs (including high glycemic sugary carbs) occasionally? Any science to support it?

Vince Gironda advocated occasional carb refeeds as far back as the 60s.

Dr. DiPasquale wrote The Anabolic Diet. Which has structured carb refeeds. Do a search for My Experience on The Anabolic Diet. Probably the best thread on this site.

Dan Duchaine, Lysle McDonald wrote their own versions.

Carb Backloading was popular for a few years.

Carb refeeding is a pretty established practice.

Thanks, good information.

For someone who eats a fat based, low-moderate carb diet, 2-3 days of high carbs will greatly decrease the amount of insulin needed for cells to take up carbs, and also will increase glucose burning enzyme concentrations and lead to increase glycogen storage. It is important to know that this has to be done with low fat consumption. The lowish carb dieter (20%-30%) has their muscles primarily loaded with fatty acids and with enzymes to process fatty acids, and does not store as much glycogen or use glycogen as readily for work.

It only takes about 3 days to drastically increase cells ability to take up and use glucose.

My son is type 1 diabetic and usually eats around 25% carbs, 60% fat, but if he eats low fat and high carbs for 3 days the amount of insulin he needs for a given amount of carbs is cut in half or less. (he will typically go from about 8 grams of carbs covered by a unit of insulin to 15-20, but of course he is consuming 2.5x as many carbs, so an interesting discovery we have made (and is also being seen in other research) is that insulin needs are practically independent on the breakdown of carbs and fat in the diet, given the same number of calories. Low carb, high fat diets don’t reduce total daily insulin exposure very much, they just reduce peak levels, peak blood sugars, and also reduce low blood sugar 2-4 hours after a meal which are common with high carbs.

Anyway, for a low carb eater to have 48-96 hours of high carbs and low fat definitely increases the body’s ability to use glucose for fuel and builds glycogen reserves. After long though the ability to burn fat diminishes to match. Also it only takes a couple of days of high fat to go back to being a less efficient carb processor.

I will try to post more in a bit.

I wanted to add that individuals who eat a low carb diet will often have much higher blood sugar spikes, even in some cases over 200, and regularly over 160 when they attempt a glucose challenge of 75 grams of fast acting glucose or glucose polymers. These spikes will also lead to delayed hypoglycemia. This leads to an issue that refeeds can lead to very high post prandial blood sugar. (this is in other reseach that I may dig up and cite and not dealing with diabetes.). This leads to a problem that since refeeds or carb resensitization occur with low fat, you are left with either high GI (high blood sugar spiking) carbs like rice or potatoes without the advantage of fat to slow them down, or slower carbs like wheat pasta and beans which have a much lower GI but are gut irritants and pro-inflammatory. So what do you choose? Fast rice and potatoes, or inflammatory beans and wheat, and oats?

I personally would go with potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, malto-dextrin and glucose polymers (like Mag-10, Plazma), but use many small doses of carbs throughout the day. I have known athletes who refeed with 750 grams of carbs a day. If you have been lowish carbs, a refeed would likely be 250+ grams, or about 40 grams every 2 hours during the day.

Thanks mertdawg, this is giving me a lot to digest…I mean mentally.

Lastly, I forgot to mention this. While carb resensitization tends to occur with high carbs AND low fat, and the anabolic diet also recommends low fat on the high carb days, IF you are currently eating low carbs AND in a calorie deficit to lose weight, then adding carbs for 2-3 days does seem to jumpstart the metabolism and fat loss even if you simply add 100-150 grams of carbs to the high fat (but sub-maintenance calorie) diet. It can help you bust out of a low carb fat loss plateau just to add more carbs for a couple of days. In this case, you can have your rice or potatoes with your steak and olive oil, or have some ice cream for a day as long as it doesn’t throw you back into food addiction cycles.

What I love about Mag-10 is that I can get out of a food addiction cycle immediately by just pulsing mag-10 for the first day (pulse fast). Even if I eat something that for me is more addictive during a refeed or cheat day, a Mag-10 pulse fast seems to block that addiction cycle.

caveat: I don’t ever add any flavoring to Mag-10 or Plazma