T Nation

Skip Rope Progression

anybody know of a good progression to get to being able to skip rope for 10 mins straight?

right now if i push myself i can go about 2 mins straight, but i’d like to get to doing 10 mins straight.

so do you know of any skip rope progression i could use (how many days per week, how it’s set up per workout).

thanks!

Honestly just skip, do it as often as you can. Its like riding a bike dribbling a basketball. The more you do it the better you will get. When I started skipping it was a pittyfull sight but now I can do tripple unders in succession. I usually do a round or two after my weights, and a couple rounds like 4 or 5 on off days.

Just get some good music going somthing with a beat and like Apollo Creed said “have fun with it Rock”. If you want some detailed info look up a guy named buddy lee. Nobody in the world know more about jumping rope to imporve athletic preformance than this guys does

thanks man, i especially appreciate the apollo reference.

i’m wondering if anyone knows of a more systematic approach. i mean if i wanted to get my squat poundages up i wouldn’t just start doing squats here and there and doing them everyday, etc.

if we take a systematic approach to weights on this site… why not do the same with skipping rope, etc?

any thoughts?

Dude,

Little girls can do it!

Here’s your progression.

Jump to nursery rhymes. They’re short, sweet and when you can do them without tripping or getting out of breath while speaking or singing them aloud, add another one.

My favorite was Mabel, Mabel set the table don’t forget the red hot pepper. When you said “pepper” you jumped as fast as you could until you were out.

Try it. You may be surprised.

[quote]ProjectX wrote:
thanks man, i especially appreciate the apollo reference.

i’m wondering if anyone knows of a more systematic approach. i mean if i wanted to get my squat poundages up i wouldn’t just start doing squats here and there and doing them everyday, etc.

if we take a systematic approach to weights on this site… why not do the same with skipping rope, etc?

any thoughts?[/quote]

I’m about to start jumping rope again after a hiatus, and last time I managed to be able to do 2 to 3 6 minute rounds. I would assume the best way to become better is to treat it like HIIT. Do the same set up 2-3 times a week, and add 30 seconds or another “set” each week. Its how I managed to get up to the 6 minutes.

[quote]Mutu wrote:

I’m about to start jumping rope again after a hiatus, and last time I managed to be able to do 2 to 3 6 minute rounds. I would assume the best way to become better is to treat it like HIIT. Do the same set up 2-3 times a week, and add 30 seconds or another “set” each week. Its how I managed to get up to the 6 minutes.

[/quote]

thanks man, i appreciate it!

ProjectX:

If theres one thing i know its skipping rope as I train at a professional boxing gym 6 days a week. Sorry to say this but i dont think there is any magic routine or advice that anyone here can teach you other than time spent skipping rope. Plain and simple.

I remember when I first started and like most people you feel like such a tool! but with perserverance you do get better. In the beginning what i found most difficult was to keep a rhythm going for any length of time before loosing concentration and timing.

After time though it becomes second nature and the mind muscle connection becomes so efficient that you start to “feel” the timing and can relax more which helps with rhythm and also endurance.

One piece of advice i can give is to vary the rhythm ie: dont just jump with both feet at the same time, but vary it by alternating between the feet.

Do you have problems with endurance eg: literally cant skip for more than 6 minutes? or is it more a case of you want to be able to skip for 6 minutes without making a mistake?