Skip Hill's Latest Article (35 Bullet Points On Training)

Shrimp and grits are good, chees grits can be pretty excellent. The constant being that the grits are a carrier and have nothing to do with the flavour, they are just bland filler. I do not understand the Southern fascination with them outside of those two dishes.

1 Like

Maybe you had to grow up with them. I love grits

1 Like

I had to try them after I saw Ronnie Coleman constantly eating them in his training videos. I figured If there was some kind of anabolic magic in them I needed to know ASAP -lol

S

1 Like

It’s Southern Steroids!

2 Likes

At first, I was on board, then

we found my off ramp.

1 Like

I’m here for the grits. A little butter and salt, and you’re good to go.

On the other hand, oatmeal is an abomination. Fight me.

1 Like

May I counter with

1 Like

Cut up or rolled grains boiled into a thick filler, or corn ground to a powder and boiled into a thick filler. Oatmeal gets brown sugar, or fruit, or maple syrup, and a little cream or milk. Grits get, whatever you would actually want to taste on top. It’s a wash, except plain oatmeal is a lot more palatable than plain grits. And cookies, of course.

1 Like

Even better - add crawfish, heavily buttered of coarse.

:drooling_face::drooling_face:

1 Like

Really? Do you not like shrimp or you don’t like the combo?

Your genius continues to impress

1 Like

Lol - I honestly love oatmeal, although recently what passes for oatmeal in my house is A base of steel cut oats, scoop of banana metabolic drive powder, spoonful of powdered PB, and a handful of shredded coconut. It’s like crack and I don’t think I’ve ever scraped the bottom of an empty bowl with my spoon in such earnest.

S

1 Like

As a southerner, I’ve seen some crazy things eaten. Grits never interested me. Oatmeal I love. Cinnamon sugar or with sugar and some fruit.

I remember watching my grandpa eat cornbread with butter milk. He’d said, “growing up this is all we had to eat.”

I’d tell him, “well you aren’t growing up any more and we have lots of better stuff to eat now.”

He never found my sarcasm amusing.

3 Likes

Hmmm. These statements can’t all be true!

1 Like

Lol all true. I’ve eaten some crazy stuff though and enjoy it.

1 Like

:sob:

I associate grits with white sugar, butter, and a splash of milk. Anything less would be… uncivilized.

1 Like

Boiled, still steaming. Butter, cinnamon, nutmeg. Chopped up walnuts, dates, and apple.

Your move.

But then is it the oatmeal that’s good or all else that you put in it? he writes while eating a bowl of oatmeal

I think wheat germ is tastier, I enjoy the aroma more but I prefer the macros from oats. Buckwheat is kinda cool.

I’m not a big fan of quinoa, but there’s a blend of oats and quinoa available in stores here that boils in three minutes that I’ll eat now and again for nutritional variety

1 Like

Nah. A handful of dried cranberries or blueberries when cooking and a glass of OJ to was it down.

Yummy!

1 Like

This sparked so many weird responses. You add a little seasoning and some butter. Everyone else adds things that are edible by their lonesome, and tasty by themselves, and argue that is why oatmeal isn’t an abomination. I should get some popcorn, this thread is fun.