Skinny, Weak and Injured. Changing Two Out of Three

native language: Dutch
Length: 1.82m
Weight: 66kg
Injury: avascular necrosis of the left femur head. Permanent, painfull and problems with all exercises that involve standing on my legs and/or using my hip.
Bench press max: 76kg
Training since about 3,5 years.

The avasculair necrosis was formed due to a hipfracture, a gift from some guy in a minivan. Basically, it means my femur head doesn’t receive enough blood, so the cartilage slowly dies. I don’t have to tell you cartilage chipping off slowly hurts like hell.

This means I can’t really train any exercises that involve standing with a heavy load: squats, deadlifts, bent over rows, cleans, standing press,… you know, all the good stuff.

The goal I have in mind is getting as strong as my situation allows. At this moment, I want to achieve a 100kg bench press before anything else.
After that…more bench probably, not that many choices.

One might wonder how it is possible that I still weigh 66kg and bench only 76kg, after 3,5 years of training. The following summary of those 3,5 years might shine some light on the situation:

* training like an idiot and not eating
* stopped training
* training like an idiot and not eating
* stopped training
* getting a clue of what strength training actually is, not eating
* lower back injury, no training
* doing Rippetoe's Starting Strength routine, drinking milk and gaining 10kg
* hip hurts, docter says its permanent => no more squatting, deads... no rippetoe => stopped training
* There should be a thoracic diaphragm injury somewhere in this list
* a couple of months I can't remember (possibly drugs)
* training and eating, gotta bench more!
* elbow bursitis, stopped training for many months
* eating food, drinking milk, gotta bench more! 
* elbow bursitis turns out to be chronic. Sometimes it gets infected en swells up, but most of the time it feels fine. The doctor suggests removing the bursa with surgery. 

*Today: training when my elbow feels fine; drinking lots of milk; getting that elbow surgery somewhere in the near future.

My current workout schedule is based on Starr’s H/L/M system:

Monday: Heavy day
bench 5x5 ramped to friday’s triple
Chins, lots
upperback/rear delts

Wednesday: Light
Seated press 1x5
Rows, some sets
core & hamstrings

Friday: medium
bench 4x5, 1x3, 1x8-12
chins, work up to a top set
curls & dips

I’m not planning any leg work because it still requires some experimentation. But to be honest, I also lack the motivation. Squatting and pulling is fun, trying to find out what doesn’t hurt is not.

This is the material I have available:
-rack
-bench
-“olympic” bar that actually weighs less than 20kg, so I rounded off to 15kg
-lat pulley
-jumpstretch bands
-some chains
-dipping belt
-1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6-board
-gravity boots
-short DB bars
-dip station

Today:

High bar fullsquat:
5x15
2x25
1x35
1x45
1x45
1x45 (I nearly came)

After that, some heupextensor/flexor/adductor/abductor training with cable.

Bench:
5x20
5x30
5x40
5x50
5x60 [b]PR /b
10x50

Workload: 1500kg

Pullup:
7xBW
1xBW+10
6xBW
6xBW

Cable upright row:
13x10
12x20
10x30

Not fun

Comments:
-Good workout, bench went well, technique improved
-pullups were fun.
-tried seated goodmornings, not fun
-did some squats gedaan, some singles, not too heavy. Hips need some movement, even bad hips. Awesome exercise, I miss it.
-the hipflexor/ext/… stuff was to condition the muscles around my bad hip.

Seated press:
5x15
5x20
5x25
5x30
5x35
13x25

Ring rows:
10xBW
8xBW
9xBW
10xBW[b]

Hypers:[/b]
25xBW
21xBW
20xBW

Decline situp:
20xBW
10xBW
9xBW

Wrist roller:
15kg

Hey good job on not giving up training chins and bench press are a very good start with lots of assistance work for upper back. Not that I know anything about your situation but have you tried single leg work and taking some type of anti inflamatory pain killer. No shame in focusing a ton on single leg work, if possible, and great results can still be achieved.

Some ideas to try and see if any hurt: Free standing single leg squat, split squat on ground, split squat with leg raised, step ups. I realize experimentation as to what hurts less isnt fun but like I said great results can still be achieved with single leg work.

[quote]Typhoon wrote:
Hey good job on not giving up training chins and bench press are a very good start with lots of assistance work for upper back. Not that I know anything about your situation but have you tried single leg work and taking some type of anti inflamatory pain killer. No shame in focusing a ton on single leg work, if possible, and great results can still be achieved. Some ideas to try and see if any hurt: Free standing single leg squat, split squat on ground, split squat with leg raised, step ups. I realize experimentation as to what hurts less isnt fun but like I said great results can still be achieved with single leg work. [/quote]
Single leg exercises would cause pain in the same way two legged exercises do. Or do you mean single leg exercises with my right leg only (the healthy one).

Bench:
6x20
5x30
5x40
3x50
3x62,5
10x52,5 PR

Hammer chin:
3xBW
3xBW+5
4xBW+10

Dips:
10xBW
10xBW

BB curls:
15x15
15x15

Prehab: band pullaparts

Comments: morning workout, so I felt a little weak. But I still did my goal weight.