Skinny to Big

Well i’ve been reading a lot lately on dieting and whatever and the articles on this website have kinda left me in space. I’m trying to bulk to about 190 or 200 , but this website keeps giving me different methods on dieting and they keep contradicting each other. I’m posting here so someone can critique my diet and also my training . Here’s a little about me.

I’m about 6ft tall weighing around 152lb at 18 years of age. I’m capable of working out 4 days a week for 1 to 2 hours . I want to bulk up to 190lb by june or even beforeand i dont care what i need to do i just want to accomplish it . Thanks in advanced guys.

Diet:

Morning- 4 peanut butter sandwhiches with whole wheat bread and 4 cups of milk - 1200 calories

School - Protein bar - 400 calories

Lunch- Rice,Chicken, and beans with 2 cups of milk - 900-1000 calories

Night-1LB of ground beef with 4 cups of milk - 1000 calories

It amounts to around 3600 calories and my protein intake is about 200-230g a day .

Heres my split/training:

Chest/Upper Back:

Chest/Back/Traps

BB Flat Press
5 x 95
5 x 105
5 x 115
5 x 125
(f)5 x 140

Incline HS Press
8 x
8 x
8 x
8 x

Incline Flys
10 x
10 x
10 x

HS Flat
10 x
10 x
10 x

BB Row
8 x 70
8 x 80
8 x 90
(f)8 x 100

HS High Row
10 x
10 x
10 x
10 x

HS DY Row
10 x
10 x
10 x

DB Shrugs
18 x 35
18 x 35
18 x 35

Legs

Pre Exhaust Leg Extensions

Squat on 2.5lb Plates
8 x
8 x
(f)8 x
(f)6-8 x

Leg Press
12 x 2 plates + 30lb
12 x 2 plates + 40lb
(f)12 x 3 plates + 5lb
Drop Set 45lb per drop . 10 x and second drop is 20 x

Machine Lunges
12 x
12 x
(f)12 x

Seated Leg Curls
10 x 50
10 x 60
10 x 70

Lying Leg Curls
10 x 90
10 x 100
10 x 110

RDL
10 x
10 x
10 x

Seated Calf Raise
15 x
15 x
15 x
(f)15 x
(f)15 x

Delts/Lats

DB Shoulder Press
8 x 30
8 x 35
8 x 40
8 x 40

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press
12 x 70
12 x 80
12 x 90

DB Lateral Raise
8 x
8 x
8 x
Drop Set- two drop sets

Cable Lateral Raises
15 x
15 x
(f)15 x
(f)15 x

Wide HS Pull Down
10 x
10 x
10 x
10 x

Underhand Pull Down
10 x
10 x
10 x

Kayak Rows-4 reps per middle,left,right
12 x
12 x
12 x

Incline Rear Delt Raises
15 x
15 x
15 x
Drop Set

Arms/Calves

DB Floor Press
8 x 25
8 x 30
8 x 35
8 x 40

DB Skull Crushers
10 x 15
10 x 15
10 x 15

One Arm DB Overhead Extension
12 x 10
12 x 10
12 x 15

Kick Backs
15 x 10
15 x 10
15 x 10

Supinated DB Curls
10 x 20
10 x 20
10 x 25

Hammer Curls
8 x 20
8 x 25
8 x 25

Machine Curl
12 x
12 x
12 x

Hack Squat Calf Raise(one second contraction , one second stretch)
15 x
15 x
15 x
(f)15 x
(f)15 x

Stop reading so much.

No offense, but all I see is random numbers in your workout setup. What a rigid way to go about changing how your body performs and looks.

For instance, you wroite this:

[quote]Supinated DB Curls
10 x 20
10 x 20
10 x 25 [/quote]

What does this mean exactly? You did 20 reps? You did 20 sets? You did 20lbs?

My bad lol. I just quoted everything everything from my log book in my comp. That meant 10 reps of 20lb .
I shouldve wrote things a bit more organized.

its not so much contradicotry (spelling lol) information - although that can certinley be a problem when youre trying to loose weight. Different authors/coaches try to put across that THEIR way is the best so they earn more money. It all boils down to eating more and lifting weights

im just gonna give you a tip for bulking. I managed to put on 11kg/ 24.2lbs in 1 month and i have a training buddy who put on 30kg/66lbs in 3 months by doing this.

GOMAD

Gomad = 1 gallon of of milk per day untop of your other meals. Yes its a lot at first and your toilet will be begging you to stop making visits. but after first week errything alright and the weight gain is amazing.

yes you gain fat, but if you learn/know how to diet than you can lose the fat pretty quickly. Like lee priest would say " fat is easy to get ride off" and that man was the master at getting fat than cutting to obscene BF%. Alternatively you could go to a bbing competition and ask one of the compeditors how to lose fat etc. Seeing as those guys have walked the talk (if that makes sense).

imo you have to cut out the redundant stuff. for instance, why would you need two kinds of leg curls after RDL’s, or machine lunges after squat and leg press? also, how do you plan to progress in the weight room?

also if that is really 3600 kcal and it is actually what you’re going to eat, the only thing I can say about that is to never miss a meal, and to never miss a training session. your program could look like a monkey designed it, and your diet could look like a ten year old’s, but if you always put the work in and never miss a meal, you’ll see better results than some guy who eats grass-fed beef and organic veggies but habitually falls a meal or two short of his caloric needs for the day and misses training sessions for whatever reason. you might look softer in the end than someone who ate right, but getting your calories in is more important than where you’re getting them from if you don’t have a choice where they’re coming from.

you need a better program though.

I like the eating style because its literally stupid simple, but its definitely not optimal like that.

And your routine I didn’t take the time to read but guessing on the replies I can probably say to simply find a pre-designed program like 5/3/1, a routine from the do this routine not that one thread, anything where you can progress on your lifts routinely in weight.

Waaay too many exercises imo, keep it basic and heavy! Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Overhead press and Bent-Over Row. No need for all these extra exercises, they do more harm than good when youre trying to put on weight, you are burning a ton of calories with that program.

You might even be overtraining, which would seriously hamper your progress - are you feeling lethargic, tired, not feeling like going to the gym etc.?

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:
imo you have to cut out the redundant stuff. for instance, why would you need two kinds of leg curls after RDL’s, or machine lunges after squat and leg press? also, how do you plan to progress in the weight room?

also if that is really 3600 kcal and it is actually what you’re going to eat, the only thing I can say about that is to never miss a meal, and to never miss a training session. your program could look like a monkey designed it, and your diet could look like a ten year old’s, but if you always put the work in and never miss a meal, you’ll see better results than some guy who eats grass-fed beef and organic veggies but habitually falls a meal or two short of his caloric needs for the day and misses training sessions for whatever reason. you might look softer in the end than someone who ate right, but getting your calories in is more important than where you’re getting them from if you don’t have a choice where they’re coming from.

you need a better program though.[/quote]

My progression is built into the reps. So on my last set ill to get 2 or 3 reps more than i did last week and ill add 5lb pounds next workout to my lift. As far as the leg press than what do you suggest? I got that idea from kingbeef .

Eat More and Lift Big.

When I began lifting, I was 6’1 and 145lbs. In 8 months, I was up to 210lbs with a lower body fat than I started.

I started off with a routine and diet very similar to what you listed. Lots of machines and iso exercises, and a very specific diet.
I saw little-to-no results.

Then I focused entirely on compound movements with freeweights. Deadlifts, Squats, Cleans, Jerks, Squats, Bench Press, Squats, Military Press, Squats, Squats.
For a diet… GOMAD made a world of difference for me(if your body can handle it. try Lactaid if you need to.)
I needed about 4,500-5,500 calories a day to see any changes. Sucks being an ectomorph.

Like some others have said… go find an existing beginner bulking routine and stick with it. They’re popular for a reason.
My suggestion: SL5X5. And don’t change a damn thing.

[quote]llostintheworld wrote:

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

My progression is built into the reps. So on my last set ill to get 2 or 3 reps more than i did last week and ill add 5lb pounds next workout to my lift. As far as the leg press than what do you suggest? I got that idea from kingbeef . [/quote]

no, the leg press is fine if you do it right, especially if kingbeef recommended it because he’s much more developed than me.

I’m not sure I would do the progression on my all-out set like that, because some weeks you’ll get 2 more and some weeks more or less, there isn’t a hard line that you definitely have to cross before you progress.

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

My progression is built into the reps. So on my last set ill to get 2 or 3 reps more than i did last week and ill add 5lb pounds next workout to my lift. As far as the leg press than what do you suggest? I got that idea from kingbeef . [/quote]

no, the leg press is fine if you do it right, especially if kingbeef recommended it because he’s much more developed than me.

I’m not sure I would do the progression on my all-out set like that, because some weeks you’ll get 2 more and some weeks more or less, there isn’t a hard line that you definitely have to cross before you progress.[/quote]

then what do you suggest? I always try to hit the upper part of the rep range.

[quote]Danny1506 wrote:
Waaay too many exercises imo, keep it basic and heavy! Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Overhead press and Bent-Over Row. No need for all these extra exercises, they do more harm than good when youre trying to put on weight, you are burning a ton of calories with that program.

You might even be overtraining, which would seriously hamper your progress - are you feeling lethargic, tired, not feeling like going to the gym etc.?[/quote]

Seriously listen to this man, he is correct. I THINK and its an OPINION only but the first 2-3 years of anyones lifting career should be NOTHING but the BASIC heavy compound movements. Squats, Deadlifts, bent over rows, dips, Bench, standing military press and maybe some standing barbell curls. Thats it, how fucking simple is that?. I WAS JUST LIKE YOU young in my career reading way to many FLEX magazine articles and trying to emulate the PRO’s routine. DONT ignore what we are saying. The SINGLE biggest mistake I ever made was doing what your doing early in my career. Thesed ays I do the basics and I have never been bigger or stronger than I am now. Im 34 now and could outlift the 23 yr old me any fucking day of the week.

whatever established program you follow will have clear rules for progression.

your own idea of when to progress sounded eerily like what I used to do, before I really started making progress.

[quote]LessTraveled wrote:

[quote]Danny1506 wrote:

You might even be overtraining, which would seriously hamper your progress - are you feeling lethargic, tired, not feeling like going to the gym etc.?[/quote]

Seriously listen to this man, he is correct. I THINK and its an OPINION only but the first 2-3 years of anyones lifting career should be NOTHING but the BASIC heavy compound movements. Squats, Deadlifts, bent over rows, dips, Bench, standing military press and maybe some standing barbell curls. Thats it, how fucking simple is that?. I WAS JUST LIKE YOU young in my career reading way to many FLEX magazine articles and trying to emulate the PRO’s routine. DONT ignore what we are saying. The SINGLE biggest mistake I ever made was doing what your doing early in my career. Thesed ays I do the basics and I have never been bigger or stronger than I am now. Im 34 now and could outlift the 23 yr old me any fucking day of the week.[/quote]

not sure I would agree with that. just because he’s a newb doesn’t mean he should ignore moves like face pulls, rear delt flyes or lateral raises to address or prevent weaknesses. everything should be trained from day one.

My bad lol. I just quoted everything everything from my log book in my comp. That meant 10 reps of 20lb .
I shouldve wrote things a bit more organized. [/quote]

Look, my views are drastically different than some here who love to post specific routines. To me, they always miss the point…that youyr body is not like everyone else’s and more than anything, you need a basic outline to work from until you figure your body out.

I don’t even want to know what you’ve been doing…because it loos like it sucks. 20lbs dumbbells curls? Let’s get that to 35 as soon as freaking possible because those are girl weights.

Yes, I said GIRL WEIGHTS. That is what guys lift when they hope no one is watching.

That is what pushes us to do more quickly.

You are using 15lbs for overhead extensions? Dude, how much muscle do you think is going to be built that way?

No offense, but I used to weigh what you weigh at about 5’11". It comes across like you are not really pushing yourself but just going by the numbers.

This does not work that way.

This is NOT about doing some specific number of sets and reps. It is about using weights that cause muscle growth to even happen and doing enough volume to fascilitate it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I shouldve wrote things a bit more organized. [/quote]

Look, my views are drastically different than some here who love to post specific routines. To me, they always miss the point…that youyr body is not like everyone else’s and more than anything, you need a basic outline to work from until you figure your body out.

I don’t even want to know what you’ve been doing…because it loos like it sucks. 20lbs dumbbells curls? Let’s get that to 35 as soon as freaking possible because those are girl weights.

Yes, I said GIRL WEIGHTS. That is what guys lift when they hope no one is watching.

That is what pushes us to do more quickly.

You are using 15lbs for overhead extensions? Dude, how much muscle do you think is going to be built that way?

No offense, but I used to weigh what you weigh at about 5’11". It comes across like you are not really pushing yourself but just going by the numbers.

This does not work that way.

This is NOT about doing some specific number of sets and reps. It is about using weights that cause muscle growth to even happen and doing enough volume to fascilitate it.[/quote]

Actually im pretty weak… I may not know what im doing at the gym or how to design but what i do for certain is push myself and i try to use the most heaviest weight i can. Oh and the 15lb extesnions are unilateraly if that makes things any better…(lol i know im extremely weak).

Number one thing I can recommend for training purposes is Wendler’s 5/3/1. My lifting partner and I have been running this program for 16 weeks now and have been making incredible gains. The program focuses on the main lifts: Bench, Squat, Standing OH Press, and Deads… these compound movements will blow you up. Also chins are very important.

As far as the diet, jacob1310 is right on… drink milk… a ton of it… not skim or 1%, drink it right outta the cow’s teet. Eat more, eat till your full and then eat more, stop counting kcals and eat. I have no idea how many kcals are in a 16 oz porterhouse steak and plate full of mashed potatoes but i know that it is awesome for gaining weight.

you could also look into Westside for skinny bastards.