T Nation

Skinny Legs Rant

So this is my first year in college and first time going to a public gym routinely. Anyway this is the first time i have seen the chicken leg syndrome haha everyone at the gym just bench and curl and train abs. I saw some guy benching around 275 for reps and had the smallest legs ive ever seen.

I doubt he could squat 150 haha also since ive been here ive seen ONE person doing squats! and they were doing quarter squats with like 165 pounds. at least the squat rack is always open unless they are using it to do hanging leg raises with the straps haha anyway a bit of rant here but it was funny to me.

275 for reps for a college student is not bad.

The thing is a lot of bench loving guys don’t realize that if they worked legs, their bench would go up from the added overall body mass and stability and leg drive.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

The thing is a lot of bench loving guys don’t realize that if they worked legs, their bench would go up from the added overall body mass and stability and leg drive. [/quote]

Could you tell that to all the kids at my gym! Well, their not actually their kids, their more late teens, early 20’s, who have training ADD, they never know what their going to train next. Once when I was doing the smolov squat routine, i would watch these guys, they’d be like ‘lets do front raises’, ‘lets do leg presses’, ‘lets do bench press’, ‘lets do shrugs’. But not ONCE did they do squats, the leg presses they did do, was for about 30 reps on the horizontal leg press!

My squat rack is usually pretty free! Yipeeeee! It’s mine, alll mine!!! So, really, it’s GOOD, that kids join the gym & never use the shrine (squat rack), it’s always free & their membership keeps the gym in business!

I think it’s an awesome look:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bF85l-_4OI4

[quote]AngryVader wrote:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bF85l-_4OI4 [/quote]

hahahaha

[quote]crod266 wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bF85l-_4OI4

hahahaha[/quote]

I would like to second that, hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha breathshahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

[quote]TheOlympian wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:

The thing is a lot of bench loving guys don’t realize that if they worked legs, their bench would go up from the added overall body mass and stability and leg drive.

Could you tell that to all the kids at my gym! Well, their not actually their kids, their more late teens, early 20’s, who have training ADD, they never know what their going to train next. Once when I was doing the smolov squat routine, i would watch these guys, they’d be like ‘lets do front raises’, ‘lets do leg presses’, ‘lets do bench press’, ‘lets do shrugs’. But not ONCE did they do squats, the leg presses they did do, was for about 30 reps on the horizontal leg press!

My squat rack is usually pretty free! Yipeeeee! It’s mine, alll mine!!! So, really, it’s GOOD, that kids join the gym & never use the shrine (squat rack), it’s always free & their membership keeps the gym in business!

[/quote]

hahaha dude i feel exactly the same way as you do. The squat rack is ALWAYS free unless they are doing hanging leg raises haha.

oh and another thing. i heard kids talking today in between bench sets of course, saying how deadlifts are the worst exercise for your back and that u get arthritis from it HAHA and i have yet to see someone deadlift in the gym

yeah, bench pressing is bad for your chest grow…damn!

Chicken legger checking in. My calves are around 14", but I still train legs all the time. I kinda got screwed by long ass leg genetics. I’m around 175lbs now.

Despite the small calves, I can still max deadlift 405lbs and squat ATG 255lbs. Not really that impressive, but not bad considering where I started. I’m sure it looks funny when I do it, cause my legs do not look like they can support it at all. I’ll keep training… one of these days they’ll grow!

Oh, and to add to that, I always feel like a jackass training anything but legs, because I’m sure there’s people that look at me and think I don’t train them at all.

People squat alot in my gym but Ive only seen one guy doing ATG squats and he was working with 365 or so.

Big guy, big legs, knew what he was doing.

I see alot of people “squatting” with anywhere from 135 to 315 but only going down a few inches even with a belt.

On of my lifting buddies is about 205 at 6 foot and he squats 285 ATG for 5 reps.

He has only been lifting about 2 years, so if he can do it anyone with considerable experience should be able to.

“Please enjoy Red Stripe and upper body workouts responsibly”

LOL