Skinny Legs/Ankles

Hi guys,

My legs are quite skinny - my ankles are thin and my kneecaps kinda stick out - however my upper body is better and im goin to the gym now to rectify this but any help/advice/ideas on how to work on my legs?

Thanks!

???

Surely you know the answer to your own admittedly very vague question?

We need more info. How tall are you? How much do you weight? How long have you been training? How strong are you on various leg exercises?

consider adding squats to your current chest/bi regimen

so maybe instead of
chest/bi
chest/bi
chest/bi
chest/bi
chest/bi
chest/bi
chest/bi

you can do
chest/bi
chest/bi
chest/bi
chest/bi
squats
chest/bi
chest/bi

I can pretty much guarentee all the advise you get will break down into the following.

1. Focus on compound exercises, which must include squats and deadlifts. Other exercises suggested may include: stepups, pistols, and variations on squats and deadlifts. You may also want to include calf raises to put some meat on the lower legs. Quite simply base a program around squats and deads, and go from there.

2. Learn the proper form for Squats and Deadlifts before you start adding a lot of weight to the exercise. Nothing will hinder your progress faster than an injury.

3. Lift heavy. Although there may be a wide variety of definitions a good rule would be 80% of max or higher as heavy.

4. Avoid excessive cardio. Do not become a hamster on a wheel. I am not saying avoid it completely, but long duration, low intensity cardio usually does not go hand-in-hand with packing on the muscle.

5. Eat plenty of whole foods.

6. Get proper rest: both at night and between workouts. A high intensity lower body workout can take up to 4 or 5 days of recovery. It may be less or more depending on the intensity and your genetics.

7. You need to use the concept of progress overload. This basically means you need to constantly push your body to do a little more. This may mean increasing sets, reps, weight, or combination of the three. If you do not give your body new challenges it will not grow.

8. Use trial and error to figure out what works for your body. With some research you can find plenty of programs on this website. Realize that what works great for one may not work for you. Pick a program that includes squats and deadlifts and stick with if for a while. Adjust as needed.

Good luck.

[quote]The Beast wrote:
???

Surely you know the answer to your own admittedly very vague question?

We need more info. How tall are you? How much do you weight? How long have you been training? How strong are you on various leg exercises?[/quote]

Sorry for the vagueness - im about 5’8 and weigh about 57kg. Been training for 2 months which has helped my upper body but the lower doesnt seem to have changed - im doing the normal exercises for the quads, hamstring and calves and im lifting heavier weights every week …

I shouldve mentioned that i have bow legs/knock knees - so is this a problem that exercise/gym can resolve?

[quote]AC_uk wrote:
i have bow legs/knock knees - so is this a problem that exercise/gym can resolve?[/quote]

I honestly do not know the answer to this one, and as such am not going to give an ill-informed opinion. Hopefully someone else can chime in here.

What I will say however, is this, you have been training for two months, presumably you intend to train for many years. This being the case, do not waste five years on this forum (or many others) reading 2000 different articles about 2000 different training systems or about the latest amazing super supplement. Pop over to the beginner section, read up on squats and such like and get in the gym.