Skinny Fat? Please Help

Am I skinny fat. 6’2 196 lbs. Been working out for awhile now and I can’t seem to lose lower belly fat. Any opinion would be great. Don’t know if I should bulk or cut

I’m getting so tired of this shit. Stop using the term skinny fat for everything that is neither cover model shape nor obese. No, you are NOT skinny fat. You have a decent amount of muscle compared to untrained people and you carry a tiny bit of fat. There’s a lot of room to improve but it’s not as bad as you may think.

You should neither bulk nor cut but learn to eat well and wait for muscle to come gradually. At your point, muscle will be the result of your training - your diet will help but you can’t stuff yourself and expect it all to go to your arms. How do you train and how much do you lift in a couple of big exercises?

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
I’m getting so tired of this shit. Stop using the term skinny fat for everything that is neither cover model shape nor obese. No, you are NOT skinny fat. You have a decent amount of muscle compared to untrained people and you carry a tiny bit of fat. There’s a lot of room to improve but it’s not as bad as you may think.

You should neither bulk nor cut but learn to eat well and wait for muscle to come gradually. At your point, muscle will be the result of your training - your diet will help but you can’t stuff yourself and expect it all to go to your arms. How do you train and how much do you lift in a couple of big exercises?[/quote]

you, sir, are a top tier poster

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
I’m getting so tired of this shit. Stop using the term skinny fat for everything that is neither cover model shape nor obese. No, you are NOT skinny fat. [/quote]

Lol.

This skinny fat nonsense has got to stop.

If you have been sedentary or did not participate in any sports as a teen/young adult, of course you’re going to start out with more bodyfat and less muscle mass than others who have been active.

IT IS NOT A FUCKING BODY TYPE.

Im skinny fat get over it

Can we assume that by “skinny”, you mean you don’t have as much muscle as you’d like.
And by “fat”, you mean you aren’t as lean as you’d like.

In which case, join the fucking club. At a conservative estimate, well over 90% of everyone on this site falls into these category, get over it.

This needs to die as well. If you want more muscle and keep growing, bulk. If you want to lose fat, cut. Simple right?

[quote]Steez wrote:

This needs to die as well. If you want more muscle and keep growing, bulk. If you want to lose fat, cut. Simple right?

[/quote]

I’m actually of the opinion that the terms “bulk” and “cut” need to be retired. Most kids need to do neither, and instead should just focus on establishing good eating patterns.

About 99% of the time, anyone asking if they should bulk or cut is literally eating zero vegetables. Most of them aren’t doing any sort of actual cooking either.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Steez wrote:

[/quote]

I’m actually of the opinion that the terms “bulk” and “cut” need to be retired. Most kids need to do neither, and instead should just focus on establishing good eating patterns.

About 99% of the time, anyone asking if they should bulk or cut is literally eating zero vegetables. Most of them aren’t doing any sort of actual cooking either.[/quote]

In agreement with ya on that. Not just patterns but better choices of food to begin with. And yes meaning the ones you have to cook and not throw into a shaker bottle or into a microwave. Although most of us supplement with shakes, essentialy, that’s really all they are. Too many newbs rely on shakes instead of proteins derived from animal sources.

OP will never return lol.

On the topic of needing to waste the terms “bulking” and “cutting” I agree 100% with the exception being competitors with an upcoming show.

It’s a catch 22 really, because those asking if they should “bulk” or “cut” are not currently capable of effectively doing either–evidenced in having to ask such a rudimentary question. Say hypothetically one of us tell OP “go cut!” or “go bulk!” No chance in hell he even knows what that entails. On the other hand, those who know how to effectively “bulk” or “cut,” are disciplined enough to just eat like a god damned adult year round, not really needing to do either.

Obviously, there’s minor exceptions here, like the disciplined lifter who just starts their residency and lets themselves go a little bit and needs a small cut to get themselves back on track. But in general, I still find it paradoxical. Dunning-Kruger effect too.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Steez wrote:

[/quote]

About 99% of the time, anyone asking if they should bulk or cut is literally eating zero vegetables. Most of them aren’t doing any sort of actual cooking either.[/quote]

I find it baffling that anyone would ask my advice on what there goals should be. If they need me to tell them to bulk or cut, I would guess they don’t have adequate motivation to do either effectively.

As far as I know, Jim Burnett, from Nebraska coined the term “skinny-fat” around 2000 or so. He meant it to mean a fat body or torso, with skinny arms, legs and shoulders. Almost like an apple with toothpicks stuck in it. It’s more common in tall guys. Like right over 6 feet.

This happened if your training and diet sucked. You lost muscle and got fatter. It wasn’t a normal look. As if your traps and shoulders just turned to goo and collected at your love handles.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
you, sir, are a top tier poster[/quote]

Hah! If that were true it’d be a sad world. What I do could be done by a bot: reminding people that they are not special snowflakes and that progress will probably come slower than they thought when they started training. For some reason, every other new guy has the same story: worked up to low bar squatting 250 while eating a fuckton, then wondering why their arms are small and their gut is big.