T Nation

Skinny Fat or Underdeveloped?

I’ve been a strict lifting regimen for a few years, and I was raised a vegetarian, and also began eating meat a few years ago when I came to college. When I started I was probably 6’ and 115-120lbs, which I know is bad, now I am the same height and weigh 160. I had my bodyfat tested a few months ago by a professional at my gym and she told me I was 7% bodyfat, yet when I look at myself I don’t think I buy that, I have little to no vascularity (which could be genetics, but at 7% I should have some veins). I aslo dont have visible abs, which I heard that at 10% they should be visible, so my question is am I just underdeveloped muscle wise, or do I just have a lot higher bodyfat than I was told by the trainer?

Heres another picture…

Both really. No muscle and easily more than 7% bf. What method did the trainer use to measure it?

Yes, I would say both but you are far more underdeveloped. You say you have been on a I’ve been a “strict lifting regimen for a few years”, well what exactly would that be? My advise would be to stop doing what ever it is you have been doing and lessening to that nice trainer and pick up some heavy weight.

[quote]oldskinnyfat wrote:
TheMarksmen wrote: am I just underdeveloped muscle wise, or do I just have a lot higher bodyfat than I was told by the trainer?

Both really. No muscle and easily more than 7% bf. What method did the trainer use to measure it?[/quote]

Agree.

What kind of “strict” regimen have you been on? Seriously.

lol

Both. Whatever your doing its wrong and vastly ineffective.

Both, and you are not 7% bodyfat.

Both

Eat,Eat,Eat,Eat,Lift,Eat,Eat,Sleep/Repeat

i dont know what the fuck your doing, but whatever it is, do the exact opposite.

if you have been working out for a few years, you should have at least some developement, but you dont even look like you lift at all.

so the answer, underdeveloped by far.

Well, if you went from 120 to 160 you did make great progress. However, you have a lot of work ahead.

[quote]anoddparadigm wrote:
Well, if you went from 120 to 160 you did make great progress. However, you have a lot of work ahead.[/quote]

Seconded.

Alright well I was 99.9% sure I wasn’t 7%, she used the caliper method, I know the water displacement is more accurate, I may give that a try.

Those of you who asked what my routine is it has changed fequently (every six to eight weeks) over the time I have been lifting. When I first started I didn’t really know what I was doing, I definately didnt eat enough or but I lifted heavier, also when I first started I lifted 5 to 6 days a week, as time went on and I did more research I saw that ecto’s shouldn’t lift that often because of overtraining, so I began lifting three days a week, monday, wednesday, and friday. Which I am doing now.

When I posted previously people just told me to eat eat eat, and lift heavy, and also to do full body workouts, some say 3 days, others say 5, its difficult to dig through the hay to find the needle and I guess its obvious I haven’t found it yet. My diet I don’t think is to bad, it definately varies from day to day, being a college student and having a hectic schedule. The supplements I take are creatine, BCAA’s, Glutamine, and Isopure Whey, on average my protien intake ranges from 120-200g a day, I don’t count calories to often but I would think Im in the 2500 range per day.

I just could really use some help creating a routine that works for me and my goals, so If anyone has any ideas I’m happy to hear them, just be specific, most of the time I get things like “squats, pullups, cleans, and bench”, but I want to know how many sets, how many reps, how much weight should I use (keep in mind I don’t have a spotter).

I don’t want people looking at my picture and thinking I just go to the gym and sit on the bench press and do a rep here or there I worked hard to get where I am and although my picture obviuosly shows little muscle my performance in the gym is less than lackluster, so if you can help me I’m willing to listen.

Thanks

Both

You should do this.

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Bent Rows (or power cleans)

Work out three days a week, alternating A days and B days.

It’s Mark Rippetoe’s STARTING STRENGTH and it’s a good routine.

Also, if you’re looking to gain muscle, you should eat more. Putting on 40lbs is awesome, good work. Now you need to put on 40 more. Try eating in the 3000-3500 kcal range with over 200g of protein. Five or six cheat meals thrown in there (~80% clean).

See where that gets you.

Sorry, didn’t feel like editing my previous thread.

In experienced hands, the calipers are MORE accurate than stepping on the electrical impedence measures, ESPECIALLy at low BF% levels.

I’m guessing she just didn’t take enough skin-folds (supposed to be 7) or… I dunno man. You are not at 7. Maybe at 10, but only because you’ve got a lot of LBM that isn’t muscle (skin, bones… :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice I will definitely give that workout a go and see what I can get from it. When it comes to the diet I just went out and bought some new protein powder with higher calories so that should help with the 3000-3500 range, and 80% clean I can do, so I will do that for the next couple weeks and see where it gets me, I am actually going to be heading to Florence Italy for two months to take some classes so I don’t know if the college I’m going to has a gym, if not I may have to go month to month at a different gym and probably pay out the ass to do it, and the exchange rate definitely dosent help.

There are colleges without gyms? How… old world…

Does [quote]new protein powder with higher calories[/quote] mean ‘weight gainer’? Usually, weight gainer is mostly shit protein with shit sugar.

The cleaner you eat, the less fat you’ll accumulate. And you’re not rail-thin, which means your insulin sensitivity isn’t as great as the classic hardgainer. IDEALLY, all your food would be clean, all your carbs would be at breakfast and PWO, and you wouldn’t mix fats and carbs in the same meals (all advice taken from Berardi’s Massive Eating article, if you haven’t read it).

BUT, 80% clean is usually much more possible.

Oh, well played on the getting-to-study-abroad bit. Nice going.

[quote]Otep wrote:
You should do this.

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Bent Rows (or power cleans)

Work out three days a week, alternating A days and B days.

It’s Mark Rippetoe’s STARTING STRENGTH and it’s a good routine.

Also, if you’re looking to gain muscle, you should eat more. Putting on 40lbs is awesome, good work. Now you need to put on 40 more. Try eating in the 3000-3500 kcal range with over 200g of protein. Five or six cheat meals thrown in there (~80% clean).

See where that gets you.[/quote]

Listen to the man!
That is some sound advice right there my friend. Keep your workouts basic and stick to the meat and potato lifts, eat loadsa good food and rest between those workouts as much as is possible.

EASY

I did the workout suggested yesterday, and i’m definitely sore, I didnt do much deadlifting before, it tore me up. How long do you think I should do this routine before I can switch to a more specialized workout routine like the one I designed based on CT’s articles: Training for Newbies, and Creating A damn good program.

Heres the routine, tell me what you think and when I should or could begin this routine. Thanks.

Day One: Chest/Back
Back
(Prim.) Pull-ups - 3 Sets, of 9-12 reps, 60-75 rest b/t sets
(Sec.) Seated Low Cable Row - 4 Sets, 9-12 reps, 60-75 rest b/t sets
(Aux.) Straight Arm Pulldown Machine - 4 Sets, 9-12 reps, 60-75 rest b/t sets
Chest
(Prim.) Bench Press - 3 Sets, of 9-12 reps, 60-75 rest b/t sets
(Sec.) DB Incline Bench Press - 4 Sets, 9-12 reps, 60-75 rest b/t sets
(Aux.) Cable Crossover - 4 Sets, 9-12 reps, 60-75 rest b/t sets

Day Two: Recovery

Day Three: Biceps/Triceps
Biceps