Skinny Fat Need Advice and Guidance

Hey guys i have been lifting for 2.5 years. Basically spinning my wheels I guess. Im 5’9 167 21 yrs old. In those 2.5 yrs I spent a lot of time doing bro splits, not focusing on strenght, high volume training, which got me nowhere. Right now im eating 27500-2800 cals. My goal is to get up to 180, and cut back down to 160.

Basically try and slowly gain muscle in the next 12 months. I had been previously cutting the last 12 weeks. Im going to switch my programming to a 5 day push pull leg routine lifting heavy. Is this a good plan? Im still a bit unsure and I want to make some progress. The last few days I have lowered training volume and eating more I feel a lot better. For the last 1-2 years I would train 5-6 days in a row and it took a toll on me. I was fatigued and tired and weak. I managed to get a bit stronger. My best lifts were a 225x5 squat, 185x5 bench, 315x1 deadlift. Still not good numbers for the amount of time spent training.

Pls offer any advice/suggestions. My diet is composed of mainly whole foods. My macros atm are: 200 protein, 350 carbs, 60 fat

I’m not known to recommend extreme bulks, but I would increase cals and train my ass off if I were you.

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
I’m not known to recommend extreme bulks, but I would increase cals a ? nd train my ass off if I were you. [/quote]

Could u recommend me some routines that will help me get bigger/stronger? I think my training is my biggest problem. I need a program that I can stick to for 6-12 months

Pick up Either Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 or Louie Simmons Westside template and Learn it, Live it and Love it for three straight years without missing your training sessions…
and welcome 30-40 pounds of muscle and a whole lotta strength.

This was not meant as a “slight” or to be an ass. Find ONE program and stick to it.
Anyone who is in this sport for the long term got to where they are by NOT program hopping, by reading all they can get their hands on and training their asses off…

Anyway…

Well I felt like I got good results from using ots big beyond relief. There are lots of good threads on it here. You could start by searching ots bbb. I ate a huge amount of calories when I did that and got a lot bigger , yes tons of fat gains too though. I have a hard time believing that pic you posted represents 2. 5 years of weight training.

1. Pick ONE of these programs. It doesn’t matter which. Just pick one.
  2. Do it as written for at least 2-3 months before changing anything.
  3. Keep eating plenty of meat, fruit, and vegetables.
  4. Profit.

[quote]ondle wrote:
My goal is to get up to 180, and cut back down to 160.
[/quote]

Don’t do this.

Eliminate any preconceived notions about what weight you’re going to be and what you want to cut down to. Cutting should not even be a consideration at this point. Focus on adding quality weight and when you add some muscle don’t cut right back down. I don’t think a bulk/cut method will be of any value to you at this point. Spend a few YEARS just trying to get bigger and stronger.

Figure out your maintenance calories and adjust up from there. Pick any decent training program and stick to it. Arrive at the gym with focus and intensity and work hard. Don’t simply get through the workout.

Be CONSISTENT. To me this is a bigger factor than what supplements you take, what your macro split is, or what training program you use.

1 Like

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]ondle wrote:
My goal is to get up to 180, and cut back down to 160.
[/quote]

Don’t do this.

Eliminate any preconceived notions about what weight you’re going to be and what you want to cut down to. Cutting should not even be a consideration at this point. Focus on adding quality weight and when you add some muscle don’t cut right back down. I don’t think a bulk/cut method will be of any value to you at this point. Spend a few YEARS just trying to get bigger and stronger.

Figure out your maintenance calories and adjust up from there. Pick any decent training program and stick to it. Arrive at the gym with focus and intensity and work hard. Don’t simply get through the workout.

Be CONSISTENT. To me this is a bigger factor than what supplements you take, what your macro split is, or what training program you use.[/quote]

My goal is to gain quality weight over the next year. Im eating in a small surplus. 250 calories over maintenance. I decided to run 531. It looks fun and something I can stick to. I just have to bust my ass

[quote]ondle wrote:

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
Well I felt like I got good results from using ots big beyond relief. There are lots of good threads on it here. You could start by searching ots bbb. I ate a huge amount of calories when I did that and got a lot bigger , yes tons of fat gains too though. I have a hard time believing that pic you posted represents 2. 5 years of weight training. [/quote]

This is what I looked like before I joined a gym[/quote]
Well you certainly do look better now then. You need to put building muscle as your goal above everything else. Definitely start training harder. Don’t bring your phone into the gym, dont go when your friends are around. Hit a pr or do more reps every workout. Let your nutrition allow for this. Make sure you fear every workout for how much effort you will have to give and pain you will have to tolerate.

There is nothing wrong with high volume if one can handle it. There is nothing wrong with a “bro split”

It’s your mindset and work ethic that should change.

You can basically keep your bro split BUT focus on getting stronger on each exercise every week AND eating excess calories EVERY SINGLE DAY. If you can’t do that, no special program is going to help you.

You will see results if your are pushing yourself.