Skinny Fat, Looking for Advice

Dude you are lucky! I wish I started properly at your age. My max deadlift is 225lbs and that’s for one rep. I’m in an awful position because I have too much belly fat and not enough muscle. You look way better than me honestly, I wish I had some abs and chest! I’m frustrated with my awful body composition and how it never seems to get better. I’ve actually been working out for 2 years but only serious strength training for 2 months, and I’m still weaker than those just starting out…

My advice is dont take information from the P.O.S that created that system.

1 Like

First off, you really don’t look that bad. You look like I used to.
Secondly, the beautiful thing about weightlifting is that (if you stick
with–meaning for more than a few weeks–a good program) you gain muscle
and lose fat in the process. Literally. The more muscle you have, the
higher your basal metabolic rate is (meaning you burn fat more efficiently,
even while sitting around doing nothing). Cardio is unnecessary. Just keep
lifting. You say you messed up your back deadlifting? How is your form?
Also, again, diet is key. Strength training is 60% nutrition, 50% training
(and yes, that adds up to 110%). What did you eat yesterday?

1 Like

I shall try to be more clear:

You have zero muscle. Zero. Now, I am not telling you this as any kind of insult and I apologise if that’s how it is coming across. The reason I am pointing out your complete lack of muscle is to dissuade you from a dedicated cut.

The whole “bulk and cut” thing is a process through which a person eats a caloric surplus for a period of time in order to gain muscle. The caloric surplus also means some fat is gained in the process. Once the level of fat gain becomes intolerable, the person will then cut body fat, revealing sexy muscle.

At your level, a cut will be counterproductive as it will leave you naught more than a sickly looking bag of skin and bone. This is because you do not have the muscle (or “bulk,” if you will) to make a cut worthwhile.

My earlier advice of:

Will get you exactly where you want to go. Trust me. Stop thinking in terms of “bulk and cut.” Think instead in terms of “healthy and high protein.”

This is a much more productive mindset for you at this stage. Let your hunger dictate how much you eat (as your activity level and muscle mass increase this will go up anyway) and every time you do eat make sure you are getting a good chunk of animal protein, vegetables and a decent carb source (rice and potatoes being the most optimal).

If you do this then I can absolutely guarantee that you will drop fat and build muscle. It’ll get you to exactly where you want to go.

I get that you want to be JACKED and you want it RIGHT NOW but it doesn’t work like that. Develop sound eating habits and get your ass in a gym (do the original 5/3/1 as written and for god’s sake don’t ask any questions). The physique will come from that.

Believe me when I tell you that starving yourself into looking like an emaciated stick insect will not benefit you at all.

Feel free to disregard this advice, but you do so at your peril.

8 Likes

x 2 that guy claims a fake past about having served/“stolen valour”!? or whatever they call it now and he also looks like crap

1 Like

Ok firstly buddy, dont make this a pity-party it wont go down well on this site.

Those programs have been proven here many times over as has 5/3/1. Do a Lean bulk, and yeah 500 carbs is a bit too much. 300 is more than fine.

Generally with diet at your age just get in your protein (say 200g) and dont eat junk and as long as training HARD everything will fall into place

1 Like

This. And tell your doctor to fuck off. He probably told you to weight lift to tone too.

Follow Yogi1’s advice. It takes time. There is no magic bullet except hard work and dedication.

1 Like

Well it has been 2 months. I did end up deciding to lose fat. I lost 17 pounds, do I look shredded? Not exactly. But do I look like a sickly bag of bones the guy above suggested? No. I got leaner. I did obviously have some muscle under that fat. Now a few more pounds and I would start bulking. I feel more comfortable now than where I was. So why did y’all say cutting was bad? Sure I’m not totally shredded but I’m in a better position than I was.

1 Like

Case in point. Check this out.

That’s a 17 pound weight loss. And now I am almost ready for bulking. I think I made a sound decision. I’m not shredded, but I’ve burned off a LOT of the extra fat.
I went from 172 to 155

Well I have gotten somewhere haven’t I. I lost 17 pounds and have improved my strength and my looks. I did this since the summer when I posted here last.

The only difference I see between those two pictures is camera angle.

2 Likes

Hahahahhaahaha

Funny angles so always difficult to judge, but yeah you still look completely untrained. You should have followed the advice given to you.

Also 17lb weight loss I would expect to be significantly more defined/outline of all the abzz not just a 2 pack.

Have your main lifts gone up at least?

sweet, bro. You went from skinny and untrained looking to… uh…

Congrats on the weight loss, however if you’d done what literally every poster in this thread told you to do you’d have had a more productive 3 months, but whatevs. Keep on trucking.

Why is everyone so rude? At least I don’t have extra fat anymore. I put my self in a better position to bulk than before. And my main lifts went up quite a bit too. I was unhappy with my sticking out gut before so I did something about it

I lost 17 pounds. I think that’s a difference

because you’re annoying. You are just going to do what you want to do and not listen to anyone like you did last time, so no one wants to help.

I’ll not comment on your threads anymore. Best of luck with it all.

And I don’t see any discernible difference based on those two pictures.

Which doesn’t actually mean much. If you’re happy with what you’ve done, then that’s all that really matters.

If you maintained or got stronger during the 17lb loss, then great.