T Nation

Skinny-Fat, I Need Help

Hi. I'm 18, 6ft, 140lb, college freshman goin into 2nd year. I am what you'd call a really skinny fat guy. I did heavy cardio for a while and lost a good amt. of weight, (my peak wieght was 180lb when I was 16, but dropped 20lbs in a month for getting a virus a year ago). Now I have these huge man book tha look big cuase of my skinnyness. I have a small gut.

Recently I have dropped cardio and started lifting, cannot do a lot though benching 100lb, ez bar curl 50lb... I know pathetic. My main goal is to lose the chest fat so I can atleast where a t-shirt in public or take off my shirt. Most people when they see me think I'm really skinny, but they don't see what underneath.

I just wany to lose the excess fat. From what people have told me I have to bulk like crazy and lift heavy, but I don't want to get fat, or big, just whatever will do to look ok with shirt off or on, lol. I need to get ready by Augest (friends and beach). I eat 1g/lb or protein, and more than enough carbs. I try to hit around 2000 cals prob. less. Very little fat (10-20g_, but will start to take fish/flax oil supp. soon.

What should I do, like supplement, cardio/lifting, might start creatine soon once back at home at college now for 10 more days. I get alot of my protein from whey shakes. Also, would a fat burner help me, I took (2) HOT-ROX this morning (7AM) and it killed my app. alittle (11-12ish), but still focred my self to eat. What about Carbolin 19, but I heard that inc.'s app.? What can I do? Thanks in advance.

You don't need any suplements... maybe some protein powder and something for post workout (which you can just use some whey and gatorade powder or Surge)

Start lifting consistantly covering all the basics

squat
deadlift
bench
rows
chin/pull ups
shoulder press

focus on increasing your strength on these basics and feel free to add a few other exercises as long as the basic compounds are your priority.

Eat more healthy food! At 140lbs @ 6' I would bet money you are greatly exagerating your Moobs and gut. You may have some fat/loose skin but more then anything you just need to fill out your frame with some muscle. Eat more food and focus on quality calories, this will get you where you want to be.

Your current goal of fatloss is unreasonable in my opinion, below 140 @ 6' just doesnt sound healthy and sure as hell will not be pleasing to the eyes.

Post a pic, cover your face if you want.

hey
thats an T-Nation article about eating its very important to understand basic nutrition. eating lots of carbs is what will make you fat, stay away from high glycemic carbs!!! and junk food !!!
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=291seven2

get a good work out program from this site and learn it and stick to it for 6 months then switch it another one and so on.

keep up at least two days of cardio each week as well as weights. it will help by making your metabolism run faster and additional fat loss.

your goal should be to lower your body fat but at the same time build muscle so your not just a twig once your tonned.

good luck

You should focus on getting brutally strong. Try to get your bench to 135 and then 225 as fast as you can. Then set your sites on 315. Same for your squat and deadlift.

If you train to get stronger, and you're eating right, your body will change the way you want it to.

lol 235lb bench...got a long way to go. Thanks for replies though. I have a pretty clean diet, however will have to have a cheat day tom. welcoming party for my friend, lots of alcohol and burgers. I will continue to to train hard. I'll try to post a pick, but am at college so gotta wait till i get my camera from home. Worked legs and upper body yesterday and today, really well from what I can tell cause upper body is really sore. Will just do cardio tom. and thurs full body workout, then gym is closed till mon...sucks.

Got a question though. I got bad knees, basically they crack every time I put weight on them, ex up and down stairs, it's called chromo something. Doc. said to start doin leg extentions and stationary bike, but NO squats, but I think that made it worse. Do you guys think leg presses or dead lift would be better or worse for my knee? Thanks again.

I would figure out exactly what's wrong with it and boogie over to Eric Cressey or Mike Robertson's locker room and ask them about it.

I will say that most everyone I've ever heard tell me they can't bench because of a shoulder, can't squat because of a knee and can't deadlift because of their back were full of it.

Got a question though. I got bad knees, basically they crack every time I put weight on them, ex up and down stairs, it's called chromo something. Doc. said to start doin leg extentions and stationary bike, but NO squats, but I think that made it worse. Do you guys think leg presses or dead lift would be better or worse for my knee? Thanks again. <<

Huh. Chromo something? Chondromalatia Patellae maybe (runner's knee)? In that case, GOD FORBID you're doing normal, no-weight squats, much less the ones with weight. Leg press hmmm I don't know, I would personally stay away from anything that requires flexing the leg under tension. Stick with straight legged exercises for legs, or it could become a lifetime problem. Especially when you say they're cracking :confused:

Rest, stretch, and work on your quadriceps (for this, you'll have to ask your doctor which exercises to do EXACTLY, because it's not like the quad is weak, it's IMBALANCE INSIDE the quad).

Get well!:slight_smile: