Howdy. I need a little help, please.
I’m a 45 year old male, standing at 6’0" and weigh 168 lbs. I’m long-limbed and thin-boned, my wrist measuring at 6.5 inches diameter. My body composition is skinny-fat (gut, man boobs, back fat). Tape measure test using Navy site puts me at 23% body-fat.
- Youngin’. Very athletic, never lifted weights (played tennis religiously). Lean, but built like bean pole.
- Early 2000s. I peaked at around 207 lbs and I looked rotund. My work badge photo used to be something I carried around to shock people; my face was blubbery.
- 2010. I had stabilized around 180 lbs. I had a gut and man boobs from my previous weight. I starting dropping weight down to 157 lbs when training for a half-marathon, gut and man boobs remained.
- 2012-2013. New stable point around 165 lbs. I decided I wanted get rid of the gut and man boobs. I started doing lean gains with the Big Three plus chins/pullups. I did this for about a year, but I didn’t do it well (in hindsight). I am so fat-phobic, that I continually cut that my weight dropped to 146 lbs. I still had a gut and man boobs, albeit smaller.
- 2013-2015. Disenchanted with my attempt to drop the gut and man boobs, I stopped altogether, even running. My weight drifted back up to around 170-175 lbs.
- 2015-Present. The only thing I’ve done since is run. My “normal” runs are about 6 miles (~10 km) with the occasional 12-15.5 miles (20-25km). Currently I’m 168 lbs.
My #1 goal is to lose the gut and man boobs without being underweight and maintain it (i.e., have a lifestyle that is maintainable for the long haul). That’s it. I don’t need to be ripped, shredded, have visible abs, etc. etc. I still want to run, but I’m willing to dramatically cut back my 30 miles/week.
I have a simple home gym (power rack, barbell, plates and dumbbells up to 25 lbs). I’m planning on starting Stronglifts 5x5 with chins and running.
With what do I need help?:
Any advice you feel is relevant for a 45 year old male with my stats and history.
Nutrition is a big question mark as I failed miserably when doing lean gains. Cut? Bulk? How much? Based on my frame and height, I’m thinking maybe 185…? I’m fat-phobic and knowing me, I’ll have a hard time if someone tells me to GOMAD until I’m 195 lbs… (silly example, maybe).
But… I’ll try and keep an open-mind, because what I tried before didn’t work.