Hi Guys - I've been lurking here for a long time and love the good info on T Nation, so signed up after reading a bunch of the stickys etc.
I need help.
I was overweight a few years back and thru calorie counting and bw/lifting was able to lose a lot of that weight. I'm 5ft8in and 69kg at 24%BF from caliper test after the last 12 months of seriously hard work..
This result shocked me as I thought I was closer to 12-13%BF according to the electronic scale. Anyway, I did the TNation online body type assessment and it confirmed for me what I've known for years - skinny fat. I find it very hard to lose fat below where I am now, yet also very hard to gain muscle.
I store the vast majority of fat on my lower chest and abdomen. Poliquin site/hormone advice did nothing for me. I look trim in a t shirt, but look a joke at the beach/pool. This bothers me immensely
For a couple of weeks I felt like quitting. But I'm nit a quitter. So I'm getting back on the horse. But i dont know what to do next... I can't keep treading water year after year to attain a basic V shape
My goals: baby steps. I'd be ecstatic with first adding 10kg of mass and being close to 10%BF
My question: do I....
1. Cut first - bc seriously I can't take these bitch tits any longer, or
2. Bulk then cut
And - depending on option 1 or 2 - what is the best program?
The conflicting arguments running around my head are:
- Maybe I don't have enough mass in the first place to get to a good low bf%, so bulk first
- why the f$&k can't I get below 20-something BF? I have a sedentary job and don't drink/smoke
- how long is this going to take? I'm a high school boxer and competent at pretty much all lifts (albeit never having focused on strength) - so I'm not going to get newbie gains
- any supps that can help the chest fat? Thru diet I have increased my T ( regular blood work) but Whilst E seems normal I think T to E conversion is going on
- sugar makes me fat for sure. What's going on with insulin?
To assist the analysis/response:
- diet: rmr 1800 usually run. 300 cal deficit with refereed every 5-7 days
- wake up; green tea and work out fasted state
- pwo: whey with coconut water
- bfast is meat n veg most days (usually have some berries and nuts too), occasionally eggs instead
- lunch is a chicken salad wig olive oil, occasionally steak/ribs n broccoli instead
- pm snack is a shake and some almonds
- dinner is meat, veg, 1/2 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa (occasionally fish)
- supps: am zinc and multiv, pm magnesium, some Dha and hcl with most meals
- upper body x2 pw
- lower body x2 pw
- cardio (usually sprints 1-2pw depending how tired I am)
- Deload every fourth week (otherwise intend to get run down and over trained)
- 3-4 sets per body part, rep range 8-12
- almost all compound exercises (I'm not that strong but I'm getting better, except chins at 10reps)
Any detail/advice on how to approach my goals and what program/diet would suit - I'd be extremely grateful to you. I know these numbers are paltry compared to some of the seasoned guys on here - but I have to start somewhere.
Thx in advance