Skinny But Need To Lose Gut

Hi, I’m 5’8" 127lbs (I know really skinny, I’m a runner). Even though I’m skinny I have a gut (especially just below my belly button).

I have (2) months to get rid of my gut and get a six pack. Is this possible? What do you guys/gals suggest?

What programs would work?

I know many of you will encourage me to gain weight but for the next (2) months my primary goal is to lose this gut. Running isn’t getting rid of it. I’m willing to work really hard.

Thank you all

-SR

Steve,
Got a couple questions for you.
*What does your diet consist of?
*What are you doing now for training?(Lifting and cardio? How much and what?)
If you answer these questions I will try to help.

You are right, most people here would tell you to put on mass at that weight, and although i cant imagine you having much of a gut, it is possible, although it may be a little harder for you because the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism is. Basically you will want to follow a low carb high healthy fat and protein diet, T-dawg 2.o is a popular one.

if you have a huge chest a small gut looks smaller

and im sure people are going to ask

what is your diet like?

There is a thread that is running right now put out by the T-Nation Admin. that basically asked all the experienced guys what they would do different if they had to start over again. There are some excellent points in there that will shed some light on the subject.

How expeprienced are you at lifting? I know you said you are a runner, but you mentioned nothing about gym time or what you have been eating, your current training methods, etc.

If you read that thread, and answer some of the questions I just gave you, people can give you a more individualized response that might better suit you than a general “do more situps” answer.

Thank you all for your replies.

I eat my first meal at about 3pm!!! (I know, I’ve been in a bad slump lately).

Meal 1: 3pm teriyaki chicken and rice
Meal 2: 6-7pm (whatever is in the house, usually make a sandwhich, or Taco Bell chicken burrito).

Maybe some water.

I’m on a road to disaster with this diet. I used to eat so well.

-SR

In regards to my lifting.

I used to lift 3 days a week for the past 5-6 months until i stopped over a month ago. I’ve lost all my muscle. I would need to start from the beginning again. I have experience in how to lift with proper form and what exercises are effective (squat, deadlift, pullups, bench, overhead press, etc.)

-SR

Don’t eat ‘til 3 p.m. Unreal, 1/2 the time I get out of bed in the a.m. just b/c I am starvin’. If I were to wait 'til 3 p.m. there would be NO WAY I could function. I’d say your nutrition plan is about 75% of what it is gonna take for you to get to your goals. Eat right when you get up and every 3 hours or so after that.

Lift weights. Lifting will be just as important, (if not more important) as your cardio to “losing your gut.” There are a ton of nutrition articles and workout programs/tips you can follow on this site.

Sorry but I hafta get going but I’m sure one of the other members will be able to send you a link or two that will get you going in the right direction. But don’t even think for a second you’ll be able to get to your goals if you continue to not eat 'til 3 p.m. or 2 p.m. or 1 p.m…

Good luck,

Danny

You’re kidding on the diet, right?

Clean it up. Since you are a runner, endurance athletes do need more carbs, but don’t go crazy.

Basic guidelines:
Eat Protein with every meal
eat 6 meals/day
avoid all “processed” carbs.

Stick with those guidelines and you’ll lose weight. My guess is that if you follow these 3 guidelines, you still won’t eat enough for your caloric output, unless you really try.

I am no expert but my advice is this:

eat big and early. Lots of good protein and lose the white death( white bread, white potatoes, etc.)
I would stop running for awhile too and concentrate on putting on muscle. Use compound lifts, especially squats and deadlifts, pullups, dips, etc. Start taking whey protein and read all you can from this site. I think the running is part of the problem after your dismal diet. After you are bigger and stronger add running in again, except maybe just intervals. Or jump rope. hope that helps.

Work your way up to hill sprints. I’m an ectomorpth who puts fat only on his gut and I’ve burned a good bit of it off just doing hill sprints 1 or 2 times a week. And I think I’ve still managed to put on a little more muscle at the same time (or maybe it just shows up better).

-Nate

Thank you guys for the input. I think my main problems is getting motivated and energetic, which i’m sure has to do with my deit also. But I will start now!

Thank you all.

-SR

You have got to eat breakfast!

Eat oatmeal, eggs, milk, etc…

Nutrition- I need to eat more consistantly. I WILL do this!

Workouts- I’ve been reading up on the “meltdown training” by Don Alessi and it seems like it burns body fat fairly quickly. Would this be detrimental for me because i’m already so skinny? Or could I eat more often and use the meltdown workout to burn off my fat?

I would normally use the “growth surge” program or the ABBH, which both seem like good programs but I’m trying to get the most results in 2 months.

Any suggestions on programs?

-SR

Do you think your abs are just weak from running, and therefore gives you the “gut” that you’re trying to get rid of? Maybe you need to focus on ab training to pull that gut in.

no, I also have fat. My abs aren’t the strongest but if i flex i can tell there is flab on the outside.

But you are right I do need to work on my transversus abdominus and lumbar multifidus. My inner abs are definately weak.

-SR

I don’t think “Meltdown” would be good for a skinny person. Focus on the nutrition, and I’d pick a program that is focused on adding lean body mass, (hypertophy based program). There’s no reason (IMO) to attempt to utilize a “fat-loss” program when you are already skinny. Actually, it really doesn’t make A BIT of difference what program ur on 'til you get your nutrition on track. I’m sure you get this (nutrition) point by now, but a person who doesn’t put 100% into the eating plan will not get anywhere near optimal results in a lifting program -no matter how good the program.

Danny

Thank you D-Boy. I’m going to clean up my diet. Eat at least 4 times a day starting with breakfast.

I’m going to use the ABBH program. Utilizing tips from different articles on this site, compound movements, full body workouts, short rest periods, not training to failure, etc.

Thank you all.

-SR