Skinny Bastard Transformation

Name - Chris Joubert
Age - 27
Height �?? 198cm (6�??5�??)
Weight �?? 80kg (176lb)
Immediate Goal �?? Add 10Kg before Jan 2008
Long Term Goal �?? Add an additional 20kg by 2010

Have a look at the attached picture, skinny bastard aren�??t I?

I have been away from T-Nation for a while, recently returned and caught up on some posts. I noticed a general �??culture�?? of bashing posts and poking fun of people�??s ambitions/goals etc.

Recently some skinny guys like myself posted pics and asked for advice, yes, all the info you need you will find by searching, but the response received by some members were uncalled for.

Thus, I am starting this thread. Yes I am a skinny bastard, yes its my own fault for looking like this, yes I am a newbie in the iron world, and yes, by the time I am 30, I will look good naked.

Due to a very buys work schedule, I will train from home for the first 3 months. I have one set of dumbbells (20kg each), that is all.

I will follow the 30 Day Mass Plan by CW as I have very limited equipment and this program is perfect for the tools I have. In a month or two I can purchase more weights and expand my toolbox. I will start tonight, I will take a photograph of myself tonight and post that tomorrow as I have lost weight since the previous picture. (motorcycle accident)

I am doing this to show all the other skinny bastards out there that with hard work, you can accomplish what you set out to do, even if all you have is a set of dumbbells.

I am also doing this to challenge all the trolls out there to give me shit and tell me how pathetic and skinny I look, in 3 years time I will look better then you buddy.

Bring it on�?�

ok. good luck. posting your nutrition and training progress would probably be more inspirational

Did you do triathlons? Don’t worry about what people on the internet think of you. Just lift for yourself, not to prove some internet people wrong.

[quote]Chris J wrote:
I am doing this to show all the other skinny bastards out there that with hard work, you can accomplish what you set out to do, even if all you have is a set of dumbbells.
[/quote]

But you haven’t accomplished anything yet.

Good luck with your transformation nonetheless.

[quote]Chris J wrote:

Due to a very buys work schedule, I will train from home for the first 3 months. I have one set of dumbbells (20kg each), that is all.

[/quote]

Good luck, I don’t buy it, but good luck.
At least look for the poor man’s equipment thread. Make yourself some sandbags or something. 40kg is not going to be enough to make any of the large muscle groups grow. There are ways to get heavy shit without paying much. get yourself some heavy shit to play with before getting all cocky.

Are you gonna keep doing triathlons?

If your good at what you do then no one should make fun of you.

It’s the skinny kids whose only physical activity is weights who are made fun of too much (I hope that’s the case).

But if you’ve got a body that’s good for something no one should crack fun of you for it. Making fun of skinny endurance athletes is just as brainless as making fun of fat Olympic lifters.

robo1: Will do.

smallmike : yip, I am a triathlete, I was busy training for Ironman South Africa but due to the accident I was put out of action for a while. I have started training again though. Cant really use the accident as an excuse for my lazy butt though.

goochadamg : Thanks for the well whishes, and yes, I have not accomplished anything yet, but come back in a couple of months.

evansmi : The dumbbell set I have is adjustable, you can take plates on and off. If you look at the 30 day program I am going to follow, you will notice that all the lifts are done one side at a time. It will be a while before I can push 40kg with one arm.

Being a beginner, I will see results with 40kg, and it should take me a month or two before I need more plates, but tell you what: If I don�??t make my target for Jan 2008, I will buy you a bottle of Alpha Male, and pay to have it shipped to you, if I do make my target, you do the same for me, but remember that I live in South Africa, so shipping will be extra. But thanks for pointing out the other article, will definately read it.

FightingScott : Thanks for nice words, Yes, I am going to continue to do them, I love it, so wont stop. I am also training for the Comrades Marathon 2008, one of the most gruelling ultra distance events in the world.

I have seen some triathletes and long distance runners with a heavy muscular build, the Russian who won this years Comrades was a big boy, and he powered his way through the race, shattering a record that stood for 21 years. I want to proof that you don�??t have to look like a twig (or like I do at the moment) to be a decent endurance athlete.

The whole point of me starting this thread is two fold: One: I want people to see that with hard work, you can take a skinny ass like mine, and put some muscle on it, and Two: By being all cocky, like evansmi so nicely pointed out , I have to put my money where my mouth is. By starting this thread I have put my ass on the line, and now its put out or get out.

Any how, here is the pic I promised, its crap quality, will buy some batteries for my digital and take decent ones over the weekend.

[quote]Chris J wrote:
If you look at the 30 day program I am going to follow, you will notice that all the lifts are done one side at a time. It will be a while before I can push 40kg with one arm.[/quote]
I don’t know, after the first “heavy” day you might find yourself wanting to buy more plates. Not that you can’t make progress with 40 kg… but don’t underestimate how much you can deadlift on one leg if your balance is good.

I’ve got one day of lifting left on this program. While I can’t press anywhere near 40 kg with one arm I’ve ended up rowing and deadlifting more than that even on the “medium” days and I’m smaller than you.

In any case, good luck with the transformation.

[quote]DSmolken wrote:
Chris J wrote:
If you look at the 30 day program I am going to follow, you will notice that all the lifts are done one side at a time. It will be a while before I can push 40kg with one arm.
I don’t know, after the first “heavy” day you might find yourself wanting to buy more plates. Not that you can’t make progress with 40 kg… but don’t underestimate how much you can deadlift on one leg if your balance is good.

I’ve got one day of lifting left on this program. While I can’t press anywhere near 40 kg with one arm I’ve ended up rowing and deadlifting more than that even on the “medium” days and I’m smaller than you.

In any case, good luck with the transformation.[/quote]

I was also worried about the pulling lifts, pushing i doubt i will have a problem, for pulling i might use an old bike engine block or find something heavy in my garage, thanks for tips though.

keep us posted with pictures. I want to see someone do the mass plan before I do it. You can be the guinea pig. Good luck.

[quote]Chris J wrote:

evansmi : The dumbbell set I have is adjustable, you can take plates on and off. If you look at the 30 day program I am going to follow, you will notice that all the lifts are done one side at a time. It will be a while before I can push 40kg with one arm.

[/quote]

I thought it was a set of 2 20kg dumbbells. Either way, have you consider what exercises you’ll do for your legs?
A lot of people, including myself at one point, get the impression that running is all the leg work they need. But it just doesn’t work that way.

Fill a few garbage bags up with dirt, throw em on your back, and do some squats, or clean them from the ground. you’ll be glad you did.

EDIT:
nevermind, just saw that your other post about the engine block. hey, make due with what you’ve got right?

Hi evansmi

Thanks for the tips, I want to concentrate more on my legs then the rest of my body (they are the biggest muscles in our bodies in any case, i think), so I will be doing squats, your idea of bags filled with sands sounds good, will try that out, I will maybe even use one of those fitness balls and do squats using that. I will also do lunges and step-ups with weight on my shoulders. I think that this should give my legs a good workout After this weekend I am wondering if the 30 day mass program is not to advanced for me, I will stick to it for a month and see if I can cope or not, being a total beginner it might be to much for me

Hey Chris,

I have no doubt you can do it. I’m currently doing the Harbinger of Hypertrophy program I found on this site. I really like it. If the 30 day mass plan is too much, check it out. Workout hard. Eat well. Rest plenty. You’ll be fine. Hey, and don’t let your cardio go in the mean time, everyone has their strengths.

[quote]farmerbrad wrote:
Hey Chris,

I have no doubt you can do it. I’m currently doing the Harbinger of Hypertrophy program I found on this site. I really like it. If the 30 day mass plan is too much, check it out. Workout hard. Eat well. Rest plenty. You’ll be fine. Hey, and don’t let your cardio go in the mean time, everyone has their strengths.[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement! I just checked it out, it looks very good, I will stick with the 30 day program for the 15 days, and then I will review on what to do next, but I think I will go with the Harbinger program.

Hi Chris,

Don’t be afraid to take an extra day off here and there if you’re feeling too wiped, every program can be adjusted a little if need be. I have a similar body type, and have found that when I lift heavy it definitely takes it’s toll and I’ll need more rest from time to time. I’m also closing in on 40 so that doesn’t help with my recovery!

Also, if you’re like me and most other ecto types, you’ll need lots and lots of quality calories to put the weight on. I’m talking about a seemingly ridiculous amount of food!