Skinny Bastard No More

06/02/08

Thanks to everyone for your advice on the shoulder issue. I need to try some different variations on the military presses in order to take some strain off the joint. Also, I have been doing some rehab work on the shoulder (face pulls, scapula push-ups, light weight laterals and front raises). It seems to be helping. No pain during the workout today.

Yesterday, I did a light strongman type workout just to get the blood flowing. I did some barrell throws, tire flips (small tire/high reps), sledge work, and the slosh pipe. It felt good to get the muscles warm and the sweat going.

Weight: 220, up 4lb from last week. Most of this gain is glycogen restore, but some of it is muscle. I feel better and the muscles look more full (fuller?).

Early morning workout, Max. Effort Upper Body
A. BB Bench Press
max. out at 230 for 3 reps(5lb increase)
B. Incline DB Bench Press
60/15,60/16,60/15
C1. DB Rows
80/10,80/12,80/12
C2. Face Pulls
110/12, 115/9, 115/10
D DB Shrugs
85/12,85/15,85/15
E. DB Incline Curls
35/12,35/10,35/9

All the weights increased or the reps increased or both from last week. I felt strong and my form was good. I also added in some light safety squat bar work in order to work on my form at the end of my routine. I still need to concentrate on sitting back and keeping my knees out.

Nutrition: 3,959C 171gF(39%),219gC(21%),385gP(40%)
Getting very close to the 4,000 calories a day. I will keep it at this level for the week and see about increasing it over the weekend.

Supplements: Post workout drink, creatine, fish oil, BCAA, green tea

Sleep: 6 hours, couldn’t get to bed last night and had to get up early today for the workout. I did get a 2 hour nap yesterday afternoon however.

Mood: A little sore yesterday but the light workout got the blood flowing and felt suprisingly strong this morning. I need to focus this week and up the weight and up the calories. I will have new pictures and measurements at the end of the week.

I hope everyone is having a good Monday.
mday

06/03/08

Weight: 221lb gained another pound, slow but steady

Workout: Day Off, stretching and maybe some foam roller work tonight

Sleep: Got about 8 hours in last night, felt great!

Nutrition: 4,107C, 162gF(35%),324gC(30%),341gP(35%)
I even had some ice cream birthday cake last night (neighbor kid’s B-day)

Supplements: the usual…

Mood: A little sore this morning but I seem to be recovering well. The shoulder doesn’t hurt as much after the workouts as it did in the past. I am seeing growth and feel stronger, so the motivation level is still high. I will be switching up my max. effort lower body day to Friday so that I can lift with a group at our gym. I am a little apprehensive because these guys are serious powerlifters and they push things to the extreme. This should be just what I need to improve my squat. I will let everyone know how I feel on Saturday…

Updated pictures and measurements this weekend.

Good to see that everyone is doing well.
mday

[quote]1Geech wrote:
mday wrote:
I plan on adding in some more protein, some additional complex carbs, and some more healthy fats. I will be adding milk to the menu in the coming week. I don’t have any problems with the lactose, so I should be fine.
mday

I may be old-fashioned, but I think milk is tops for helping put meat on the bones and keeping the latter healthy. It starts and ends my day.

[/quote]

I agree 100%. I drink nearly a half gallon a day.

I really like your workouts mday, keep it up.

Just a random thought that I wanted to share with the group…(sorry about the length of the post)

I know that this may seem hard for most people to comprehend, but mentally, a gaining phase is much more difficult for me than a cutting phase.

For me, there is always that element of fear of what will happen if I gain a lot of weight. I wake up in the morning, and check the scale and then I look in the mirror to see what my stomach looks like. Being thin all my life, I don’t really know how I would handle being “overweight”.

I know that with my bodyshape, I will probably need to gain a bit of fat in order to put on some serious muscle. The idea of a completely clean bulk sounds great in theory but it is very difficult to achieve in reality (especially at 37 years old).

Shugart and others talk a lot about how many big lifters will quit a cutting phase when they feel like they are getting smaller and weaker and this is why they never attain a great physique. The same is true for naturally lean people. So much of our personality is wrapped up in being lean that it is very hard when you start to feel “fat”.

Lean people sacrifice muscle gain so that they can cling to single digit bodyfat measures just as big guys will talk about “17 inch arms” while they walk around with a 42 inch waist.

I first realized this mindset when I read through the numerous “Rate My Physique” posts (see picture above). The forum is full of 15-21 year old guys who expect an 8 or 9 rating because they have 7% bodyfat and have been training for six months. They talk about how they went on a bulk phase for six weeks and now they are looking to start a cutting phase because they can’t see their lower abs. They have no real muscle mass but the last thing in the world they would want is to lose their “six pack”.

I would like to think that I am a little more “advanced” than most of these guys, but I have to be honest and admit that I am not sure if I am really ready to put on the kind of weight I probably need to. I am trying to be smart about this gaining phase (watching calories, eating clean foods, tracking measurements). However, I know that at some point, the fears will come back. I just need to focus on my November goal and know that this weight gain will allow me to feel/look/perform even better in the long-run.

mday

Just a quick follow up to my last post,

The picture at the top of the last post is not me. It is a picture from the “Rate My Physique” forum that captures the mindset that I was trying to get at.

Although the picture is not me, I was probably even thinner than the guy in the picture when I was 18. At least he is accessing this site and hopefully listening to sound advice. I was 33 years old before I began to change my physique, I hope he gets started a lot sooner…

mday

You are getting a lot of work in, Mday. I think you are right to up those calories, if only for recovery. Those DB shrugs are likely working your grip and forearms, too.

I guess the first thing I would respond to that, Mday, in anticipation of those fears coming back, is to encourage you not to forget that what you are doing is really taking more immediate control of your physical condition. The weight is going to come on because of your decisions and actions – and you can choose later to take something off again.

This will not be a matter of the lackadaisical ‘oh I could do that if I wanted to’ of the sedentary person. Trust your training approach: With focused training and a sharp eye on nutrition, you can put yourself pretty much where you want to be without having to do anything radical (also because you won’t be that far off anyway, as long as we are not talking about some crazy single-digit bodyfat level).

[quote]mday wrote:
Just a random thought that I wanted to share with the group…(sorry about the length of the post)

I know that this may seem hard for most people to comprehend, but mentally, a gaining phase is much more difficult for me than a cutting phase.

For me, there is always that element of fear of what will happen if I gain a lot of weight. I wake up in the morning, and check the scale and then I look in the mirror to see what my stomach looks like. Being thin all my life, I don’t really know how I would handle being “overweight”.

I know that with my bodyshape, I will probably need to gain a bit of fat in order to put on some serious muscle. The idea of a completely clean bulk sounds great in theory but it is very difficult to achieve in reality (especially at 37 years old).

Shugart and others talk a lot about how many big lifters will quit a cutting phase when they feel like they are getting smaller and weaker and this is why they never attain a great physique. The same is true for naturally lean people. So much of our personality is wrapped up in being lean that it is very hard when you start to feel “fat”.

Lean people sacrifice muscle gain so that they can cling to single digit bodyfat measures just as big guys will talk about “17 inch arms” while they walk around with a 42 inch waist.

I first realized this mindset when I read through the numerous “Rate My Physique” posts (see picture above). The forum is full of 15-21 year old guys who expect an 8 or 9 rating because they have 7% bodyfat and have been training for six months. They talk about how they went on a bulk phase for six weeks and now they are looking to start a cutting phase because they can’t see their lower abs. They have no real muscle mass but the last thing in the world they would want is to lose their “six pack”.

I would like to think that I am a little more “advanced” than most of these guys, but I have to be honest and admit that I am not sure if I am really ready to put on the kind of weight I probably need to. I am trying to be smart about this gaining phase (watching calories, eating clean foods, tracking measurements). However, I know that at some point, the fears will come back. I just need to focus on my November goal and know that this weight gain will allow me to feel/look/perform even better in the long-run.

mday[/quote]

mday - Not a random thought at all. Highly relevant to many here. As a FFB (Former Fat Boy as Shugart puts it) I’m going to face the same issues from a different viewpoint. I want to gain muscle but have a horrid fear of falling back into a fat body. Between now and the fall, when I start trying to gain, I’ll need to figure out how to deal. I think your journey is going to help, so I thank you for leading the way and having this kind of discussion.

Excellent explanation of a mindset many of us aren’t familiar with. I’m far from being an expert on healthy eating. I would venture though that with the way you’re tracking your diet and intake of calories and balancing that against your workouts you probably have litte to fear. I also realize just saying “don’t worry about it” doesn’t do a lot to allay your worries. Good post.

[quote]daddyzombie wrote:
I like what the other have have been telling you mday. Your routine looks solid, just listen to what your body is telling you. I like to drive myself very hard as well, but rest is a good thing. When you stop to let the aches and pains go away you feel like a million bucks. Nice job![/quote]

That “listen to your body” really was hard for me to learn, but it really helped. That was good advice.

I ditto what hel said. You’re balancing your goals with the reality of what you want as a healthy body image. Some times those conflict. The whole thing is how you choose to manage the conflict. You have the right idea and the right strategy to reflect on the situation.

06/04/08

Weight: 221lb

Workout: Rest day, got some sleep, ate a ton, stretched a lot, played with my kids…the perfect type of recovery day

Nutrition: 4,236C 206gF(43%), 235gC(21%), 372gP(36%)
The calories are getting higher!! A lot of fat but a good amount of mono and poly fats (the good stuff).

Supplements: Fish Oil, green tea
I forgot the creatine and BCAA because I was getting so much whole food throughout the day.

Sleep: A good solid 7 hours

Mood: As my last post shows, I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about what my goals really are. As many of you have posted, I need to trust my workout and nutrition program and listen to my body. A good solid plan will ensure good results. I am very excited about seeing the added strength over the next five months.

Workout tonight (dynamic lower body) and tomorrow morning (repetition upper body)

mday

06/05/08

We had to double up on the workouts, one last night and one early this morning.

Weight: 222, headed in the right direction

Last night: dynamic lower body day
A. Box Jumps (32" box)
0lb/3, 0lb/3, 5lb DB each hand/3, 5lb DB/3, 10lb DB/3, 10lb DB/3, 15lb DB/3, 15lb DB/3
I kept increasing the weight on these jumps. It is very tough to go to failure on this exercise, because failure means that I will miss the box and fall on my face. It will happen eventually and hopefully I will have video for everyone to view.

B. BB Bulgarian Split Squats (front leg elevated)
55/10, 55/9, 55/9
These still hurt!!

C. Romanian BB Deadlifts
225/6, 225/8, 225/8

D. Hanging Leg Raises
0/10, 0/10, 0/10

Nutrition: 4,203C 176gF(31%),316gC(28%),371gP(36%)

Supplements: Fish Oil, BCAA, post workout drink, creatine, green tea

Sleep: Despite the late night workout and the early morning workout, I still got 7 hours last night

Mood: I was a little worried about the three workouts in three days (last night, today, tomorrow), but I did well. I backed off a little last night and left a little in the tank for this morning. It must have worked because this morning’s workout was the most intense workout I have ever had. I will go into more detail in my second post. I have to run to a meeting…

I hope everyone is doing well.
mday

06/05/08 (cont’d)

Well, today’s workout was the type of workout that you remember for a long time. PRs, high reps., new exercises, CNS overload, tingling in the head, shaking so bad you can’t fill your water bottle, trouble walking…everything you want in a workout.

The weight that I was lifting wasn’t all that high, but the intensity was off the charts for me.

A. Pull Ups
BW/11, BW/10, BW/9

B1. Lat Pulldowns
155/10, 155/10, 155/10
B2. Seated DB Power Cleans
25/10, 25/10, 25/12

C. Rack Pulls (Mid Shin level)
135/5, 225/3, 315/5, 365/3, 365/5, 385/3
This is where the fun really started! This is a lot of weight for me, but I got the reps

D1. DB Shrugs
90/12, 95/12, 100/12
D2. Seated Incline DB Curls
35/10, 35/10, 40/12

E. Back Extensions with Resistance Band (Medium Band -Green EFS Band
1 band/30 reps, 2 bands/20 reps

My back is toast! I’ve been getting up and stretching every fifteen minutes at work. Double up on the fish oil and hit the foam roller tonight.

Tomorrow is day three…max. effort lower body. If I survive tomorrow morning, I will get some well deserved rest Saturday and Sunday.

mday

Looking good, Mday.

I don’t know much about box jumps, and had never considered they could be done with dumbbells in hand. Anything about this worth commenting on? Thanks.

Geech,

The box jumps are something that DeFranco uses in the WS4SB program in place of the normal dynamic stuff (bands/chains) that is used in the Westside program. DeFranco notes that guys new to powerlifting have a hard time recovering when they have a lot of weight on their back twice in one week. The box jumps are a chance to do a dynamic lower body exercise without a lot of stress on the body.

The box jump that I perform is simply a two-footed standing jump up onto a platform. The highest platform at our gym is only 32 inches high so I needed to add some resistence to make it more difficult (only 3 reps each time). I don’t have a weight vest (I am asking for one for Christmas), so I simply hold DBs in each hand.

I love these exercises. Being tall and having played basketball for 20 years, they aren’t a problem for me. My wife hates them, she gets nervous that she is going to miss the box and fall on her face.

I know that DeFranco has a YouTube link to these exercises on his website.
mday

[quote]j_willy3 wrote:
I ditto what hel said. You’re balancing your goals with the reality of what you want as a healthy body image. Some times those conflict. The whole thing is how you choose to manage the conflict. You have the right idea and the right strategy to reflect on the situation.

[/quote]

Life is always tension between different goals. It is pulling it all together that makes life worth it and that makes a success out of what is otherwise just stuff.

Some good stuff there Mday. Don’t sweat the scale weight so much. Just check it every fortnight or so to check you are moving along in the right direction. I too get fixated on the numbers when weighing myself each day. Much more fun and rewarding when after not weighing yourself for a while you step up and the number is 5lbs higher.

Burnesy

06/06/08

Weight: 224, a big jump, might have something to do with the 5,000 calories that I ate yesterday (more on that below). I think I am going to take Burnesy’s advice and only weight myself every three days.

Workout:
A. Box Squats with Bands (average bands)
45/5,95/5,135/2reps/10 sets, 155/2reps/5 sets
I kept the weight really low and worked with the strength bands in order to focus on form. I have a lot to learn but my form is getting better

B. Deadlifts
135/5, 225/3, 285/2, 315/1rep/4 sets, 385/1 rep (PR)
Despite all the work on my back yesterday, I felt strong in the DL.

C. Stone Trainer
3 plates/3 reps, 3 plates/3 reps, 3 plates/1 rep, 3 plates/2 reps
This is basically a simulated stone lift (strongman) using a pipe and plates lifted onto a platform.

Hit the legs and lower back really hard. The next couple days off will feel great.

Nutrition: 4,925C 205gF(36%),434gC(33%),383gP(31%)
I was close to my normal 4,250C going into the evening and then all hell broke lose. I couldn’t get enough to eat. Everything was clean (chicken breast, asparagus, bacon, peanut butter, banana, milk) but it was a lot of food. I remembered what everyone said and just listened to my body. I am not normally that hungry at night, but my body was telling me it needed fuel for recovery, so I kept going. It must have worked because my strength was good this morning. I will get back to the 4,250C level today and see how I feel this weekend. It may be time to up the calories to 4,500.

Supplements: the usual, but I doubled the fish oil

Mood: I felt really strong in the last two workouts. I am starting to improve on my form and seeing some new PRs on the big lifts. I know that I will see these for a while at the beginning and then things will slow down, but I will take whatever I can get. I am sore and tired but no injuries so everything was a sucess. The next two days of rest will be very good for me. Back in the gym on Monday for max. upper body!!

mday

Congratulations on the DL PR, Mday, and that after the preceding squat work. That’s impressive.