Where to Start,
I wanted to start a blog in the Over 35 section because of all the positive feeback from some of the long-time members (DZ, soldog, skidmark, Burnesy, bunny, j_willy, KNB, and others). This really seems like the place to get good advice and honest input on training/nutrition/improvement.
– 37 years old
– Weight training for the last four years
– 6’8" tall
– 216 lb (as high as 245lb, 18% BF)
– 10-12% BF (estimate, going for caliper test on 05/28/08)
– Bodybuilding type training for the first three-years, then I did a basic 5X5 compound lift program for six months, Waterbury training last year-and-a-half.
– Until about a year ago, I tried to combine basketball (2-3X a week) and weight training. I got stronger but not much bigger
– Fast Metabolism, I can drop weight very easily and have a hard time putting on muscle.
– I just started (05/26/08) DeFranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards (WS4SB).
– I will be following DeFranco’s template in order to increase my overall strength, size, and efficiency.
– I will be throwing in some strongman type stuff for conditioning (tire flips, sledge work, farmers walks, prowler, sled work, slosh pipe, barrell throws, etc.)
– I will be competing in a powerlifting competition here in Wisconsin in November 2008.
– I will be lifting raw in order to truly assess strength gains.
– My goal is to get three complete and qualifying lifts at whatever weight possible.
– I would like to increase size/strength/efficiency without drastically increasing bodyfat (stay under 18%) or harming health (fitness level, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc).
PR’s on Major Lifts (these will be my benchmarks)
– Bench Press - 270lb (March 2008)
– Squat - 315lb (October 2007)
– Deadlift - 355lb (September 2007)
– Chin-up - 240lb bodyweight plus 45lb plate (March 2008)
Bloodwork (May 2008)
– Blood Pressure - 102/56
– Resting Pulse - 52
– Cholesterol - 130
– Triglyceride - 29
– LDL - 75
– HDL - 49
– Total Test. - 543
– Globulin - 28.1
– Free Test. - 12.69
– Bioavailable Test. - 298
– No serious injuries other than sore shoulders and back. The normal stuff that everyone struggles with.
– My height (6’8") does make certain lifts a little more challenging.
Tape Measurements - Provide tomorrow…
– I’ve been eating based on Berardi’s Precision Nutrition guidelines for about a year.
– I track all of my eating on a FitDay account (calories and macros).
– I was eating approximately 3,250 calories in order to drop some bodyfat.
– I increased my calories to 3,750 and will be increasing my intake by 250 calories every two weeks. I will keep increasing calories and tracking weight gain and BF%.
– Fish Oil (3X a day)
– Creatine (10mg a day)
– BCAA (peri-workout - 18 Biotest BCAA tabs, non-workout days - 3 tabs 3X a day)
– Green Tea (2 12ounce cups a day)
– Post Workout Drink (Whey Protein, dextrose/malto-dex. mix, 600 calories, 72 grams protein, 90 grams carbs)
I will be updating this log each day with my training/weight/nutrition/mood/supplement/? information. I will try and include pictures or even videos when possible. My wife will also be training with me so you may get lucky and see her in some of the videos (she is much easier on the eyes). I am really interested in everyone’s input on where you think I could improve or modify the program. As hard as it is, I am including my beginning pictures.
I am looking forward to the journey