Skin Healing

Today in speech class a girl gave a presentation explaining how Dermabrasion works, for those that do not know Dermabrasionis a procedure where a plastic surgeon uses a diamond wheel to remove upper layers of skin.

At the end she showed a tape of a women getting the procedure done, it looked painful but, the before and after pics taking a few months later were amazing.

What I was wondering but, the girl could not answer is how can or does the skin know how much it has to heal/grow back? The procedure is done manually and though the surgeon is skilled I doubt he takes off the same amount of skin evenly all over.

How does the skin grow back with a uniform look? I have been looking for an answer but no luck. Does anyone know?

The same way it grows back after a cut/scrape. Skin grows at its normal rate, and sheds off after a genetically determined period. Say your skin is 2mm thick (an arbitrary number). You have a base layer of cells that continually divide, pushing older skin cells up.

This means that skin cells are produced, form a layer 2 mm thick before sloughing off. So if you grind skin down to 1 mm in one spot and 1.3 mm in another, and .8 mm in another, the new cells don’t give a shit, they are genetically programmed to go up 2 mm.

Short answer: DNA

Would there be a point in which the skin would not heal correctly or to it’s original state? Say that it went to deep into the dermis?

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Would there be a point in which the skin would not heal correctly or to it’s original state? Say that it went to deep into the dermis?[/quote]

Yes. That’s why you get scars.

[quote]Corrosion wrote:
xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Would there be a point in which the skin would not heal correctly or to it’s original state? Say that it went to deep into the dermis?

Yes. That’s why you get scars.[/quote]

See thats what I don’t get if you already did the damage to the skin to cause a scar, how is it that the dermabrasion then removes the scar for new skin to grow.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Corrosion wrote:
xXSeraphimXx wrote:

Yes. That’s why you get scars.

See thats what I don’t get if you already did the damage to the skin to cause a scar, how is it that the dermabrasion then removes the scar for new skin to grow.[/quote]

Look up “epidermis” vs “dermis” vs “hypodermis.”

Shit,this is just Google search info.