Skidmark's Training

[quote]skidmark wrote:
The Pencil Neck wrote:
An old PL friend of mine used to track his workload and
incorporate those calculations into determining his
loading parameters. This sounds remarkably similar to
what he was doing. I thought he had gotten it from
Sheiko because he did a lot of Coach Sheiko’s routines
and based his workouts on his readings of Sheiko’s work.

But… he might have been using something from Starr, though.

I’ve read some of the Sheiko threads on the site and it seems like a LOT of work. Perfect for keeping testosterone-laden young men out of trouble by keeping 'em busy and making them tired, but beyond my recovery capability…[/quote]

Normally, I’d agree with you about Sheiko; I’ve done some Sheiko routines and they were LOOOOOOONG. But strangely enough, Keith holds (or held) some Canadian Master’s records in PL for the 220’s. He was in his 40’s when he was doing those routines.

Instead of doing the Sheiko sorts of things I did or that I’ve seen, he was doing some Sheiko routines that had him lifting twice a day 3-5 days a week. It was interesting stuff.

This article by Steve Maxwell accurately represents my attitude towards aerobics:

Art Devany (www.arthurdevany.com) from the Evolutionary Fitness blog holds a similar viewpoint and has a listing of people who have DIED from doing or overdoing aerobic-style exercise and has a good explanation of why this is.

[quote]The Pencil Neck wrote:
skidmark wrote:
The Pencil Neck wrote:
An old PL friend of mine used to track his workload and
incorporate those calculations into determining his
loading parameters. This sounds remarkably similar to
what he was doing. I thought he had gotten it from
Sheiko because he did a lot of Coach Sheiko’s routines
and based his workouts on his readings of Sheiko’s work.

But… he might have been using something from Starr, though.

I’ve read some of the Sheiko threads on the site and it seems like a LOT of work. Perfect for keeping testosterone-laden young men out of trouble by keeping 'em busy and making them tired, but beyond my recovery capability…

Normally, I’d agree with you about Sheiko; I’ve done some Sheiko routines and they were LOOOOOOONG. But strangely enough, Keith holds (or held) some Canadian Master’s records in PL for the 220’s. He was in his 40’s when he was doing those routines. Instead of doing the Sheiko sorts of things I did or that I’ve seen, he was doing some Sheiko routines that had him lifting twice a day 3-5 days a week. It was interesting stuff.
[/quote]

Don’t get me wrong, I agree that they Sheiko programs are very effective. I’ve seen nothing but progress for those people that do them. How long was your friend powerlifting before he tried Sheiko? Haven’t seen postings of too many guys our age doing it generally. Nice to hear it’s still possible for old farts…

There’s a fellow on the Westside/PL thread over in the Strength Sports forum who is working Sheiko right now. Young guy, about 22. I think he’s working number 32 routine currently and it seems to be working quite well for him.

I’m on a Wendler kind of kick right now, in that I’m doing as little as possible and still get stronger. I have low recovery reserve since I have bad habits - one of which is smoking. The others are not eating enough or sleeping enough. Smoking is going away soon, but it’s definitely a deleterious factor right now.

I expect I’ll gain 10 lbs right off the bat (ice cream - yum!) and my reserve will go through the roof as it did the last time I stopped and then Sheiko might look more attractive.

2008-3-22
abs and forearms

Hanging L’s
30 sec
20 sec
10 sec

Standing Band Twists
Mini Band 2x15

Forearms
Levers (2.5’, 1" dia.bar )
Down Front
1.25lb collar 1x12
Down Back
1,25lb collar 1x12
Overhead Front
1.25lb collar 1x15
Overhead Back
1.25lb collar 1x15

wrist twists
1.25lb collar 2x5

Rehab/prehab
hip activation
Doubled mini band sidesteps

Shoulder stability
Angled band standing overhead press
3x15

Mini Band Pullaparts
3x15 (low med high)

Done.

The Newest Anabolic Substance

ACE-031. From Acceleron Pharma. It blocks/binds with myostatin to permit muscle tissue to grow uninhibited (which is what myostatin does - inhibits muscle growth by shutting down expression of the genes responsible for muscle growth). Nature abhors waste and it considers unused muscle waste - so it never builds more than needed. Myostatin serves as the brake on muscle growth. ACE-031 removes the brake from the car, throws it out the window and then rewrites the owner’s manual so that the word brake is not mentioned therein.

See this Biotechnology Review article

http://www.technologyreview.com/Biotech/19589/

Mice given the drug gain 30% to 60% normal muscle mass in a month - without exercise. Other animal studies with the drug have produced the same results.

Given the mortality occurs in humans with a 40% loss of lean body tissue (e.g muscle) this can have life-saving consequences for those afflicted with wasting diseases.

The bodybuilders will have to buy it in Tiajuana, though.

2008-3-23

Upper

Bench
135x10
185x5
215x3
230x2
245x1(paused),1,1,1

Bent over BB row
135x10
185x5
215x3
230x2
245x3,3,3,3

Clean and Overhead Press
95x10
110x5
125x5
145x5,5

Chinups
BWx10
Bw+30x5
BW+60x5
BW+75x5,5 (PR)

Total Volume: 19260
Avg Intensity: 166 lbs

Done.

Interesting - same avg intensity as lower body from Friday and a little more than twice the volume.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
Don’t get me wrong, I agree that they Sheiko programs are very effective. I’ve seen nothing but progress for those people that do them. How long was your friend powerlifting before he tried Sheiko? Haven’t seen postings of too many guys our age doing it generally. Nice to hear it’s still possible for old farts…

There’s a fellow on the Westside/PL thread over in the Strength Sports forum who is working Sheiko right now. Young guy, about 22. I think he’s working number 32 routine currently and it seems to be working quite well for him.

I’m on a Wendler kind of kick right now, in that I’m doing as little as possible and still get stronger. I have low recovery reserve since I have bad habits - one of which is smoking. The others are not eating enough or sleeping enough. Smoking is going away soon, but it’s definitely a deleterious factor right now.

I expect I’ll gain 10 lbs right off the bat (ice cream - yum!) and my reserve will go through the roof as it did the last time I stopped and then Sheiko might look more attractive.[/quote]

Keith had been PL’ing for a long time before going to Sheiko. He was already an experienced lifter (and very educated wrt coaches and routines) when we first started talking about 9 years ago. And then he was doing Sheiko routines for at least a couple of years when we lost contact a couple of years ago. He was the reason I tried Sheiko. IIRC, he had started thinking about shifting over to OL about the time that I stopped posting in the forums where he was a regular. He had always flirted with the OL stuff. His daughter was a competitive OLer.

2008-3-25
Lower and Arms

Box Squat
barx12
135x10
225x5
275x1
295x1
315x1
295x1,1

Total: 3950

Wide grip deadlift
135x5
225x5
320x5,5

Total: 5000

Average Band Seated Leg Curls
1x10
1x8
1x10

Grand Total: 8950
Avg Intensity: 172lbs

Wasn’t feeling up to the squats. Got the 1x315 but knew I wasn’t going to get 3 more singles on it, so dropped back down. Getting a lot of stress at the back of the knee where the hamstrings tie in. Back and the rest of the posterior chain feel fine and strong. The ab work is helping me to transfer the force to the bar nicely by keeping my midsection rigid. That painful pulling at the knee slows my ascent as I try to adjust around it. It’s a new thing, prob related to not eating enough yesterday.

Deads went well as always, though I couldn’t do them snatch-gripped. Had to reverse grip. 2nd set went much faster than the first. I think I’ll be using straps for these going forward. Grip strength is an indicator of preparedness. The fact that my grip is off tells me I’m a mite too cooked at the moment.

Arms later - if at all.

Later:
Rolling Triceps Extensions
30’sx12
40’sx9,8

Overhead Triceps Extensions
40’sx8,8

Hammer Curls
40’sx12,12,10

Shoulder rehab
Scap pressups,rows OH presses

Went lighter to work form. My triceps suck. Actually, my shoulders suck since they can’t support my triceps loads individually.

2008-3-26

Abs and grip
Weighted Situps
100 2x15

Side Bends
115 2x15

1-hand hangs
1x30sec
1x20sec
1x10

2" Dia Vertical pole DL
70 lbs 1x10
105lbs 3x5

2008-3-27

Upper

Clean and Push Press
Barx10
115x5
145x5 (forgot to push the first one)
165x3 (finally racking correctly)
185x1,1-1/2,1,1 (missed the push on #2. Gotta get the head under the bar, not behind. 3-5 sec negative)
155x5 (5 sec negative)

total: 3760

Neutral Grip Pullups, Med width
BWx10 1600
BW+30x5 950
BW+50x5 1050
BW+75x3 705
BW+105x2,2 420
BW+65x5 1125

total: 5850

Incline Bench
115x5 575
165x5 825
185x5,5 1850

total: 3250

Inclined rows/Muscle High pulls (pinkies on power rings)
115x5 575
135x5 675
155x5 775
175x5,5 1750

total: 3775

Grand Total: 16635
avg intensity: 153 lbs

Good light session. Feel great - got 11 hours sleep! Herniated disk area was telling me it was there during the cleans, but no pain. Itched more than anything else.

2008-3-28

Abs and Forearms
wrist curls
Flexion
65 2x10
55 3x10

Extension
30 2x8
25 3x10

Straight Leg L Support
1x21 sec

Bent Leg L-support
2x40 sec

Abs were still tired from 2 days ago. Feeling generally run down. Really pissed off about the forearms as no progress has been made there.

2008-3-29

Lower and Arms
ATG Squat
135x10
185x5
255x5,5

Good Mornings
115x10
165x5
185x5,5

Close Grip Bench
185x5
195x5,5

1-Arm DB curl
65x5,5 1300

Pistols on 16" box, full stop
R 2x15
L 1x15

1-legged Deadlifts
R 175 2x5
L 175 1x5

Grand Total: 15450
Avg Intensity: 154.4lbs

Good Session. 30 lb jump on squats, took close grip bench all the way to chest and only lost 15 lbs from it. Pistols are stronger and I can do GMs again. Thought they were out of bounds since the disk went blooie.

Definitely have to watch form on these and keep the ego in check or I’m gonna tweak it again. 1-legged DL is getting stronger. The right leg needs to catch up, since I had to lay off it when the disk went.

Very pleased. Just for grins tried picking up the 175 with one hand and the damn thing actually came off the floor - it wasn’t light but it wasn’t as hard as I expected. Those BW hangs for time seem to be working.

2008-3-30

Abs and Grip

No Abs today - still wrecked from L-Supports

Shoulder Complexes
Scap pushups 2x20
scap pullups 2x20
press shrugs 115 2x20
row shrugs 115 2x20

external rotation 10 4x20
internal rotation 10 4x20

Geezus, that was boring! Feels good, though.

Grip

Hangs
BW+10 40sec,30sec (PR)

pinched plate wrist curls
17.5 2x15

Ironmind pinch block lift
1-hand
35 5x1
40 2x1
45 2x1
2-hand
75x3
85x2

DB head holds
35x2
40x2 (Weight PR)

Needed lotsa chalk for the block today. There’s a real technique to the pinches. When I get it just right I can jump 10 lbs or more. I’m looking forward to doing the 45 lb DB. 40 is amazing to me as my hands are very small.

Enlighten me o’ Skidmark wise and strong one

What the hell is an “Ironmind Pinch Block Lift”?

I guess a DB head hold is gripping a DB with fingers spread wide on the weigth head?

Forgive the ignorance of this simple student if you please…

LOL

O student -

Know that There is a company called Ironmind that sells weightlifting and strongman equipment, including grip tools such as the Captains of Crush grippers.

The pinch block is a four inch across square metal tube with a ring welded onto it from which you can hang weights. It’s painted smooth black with a slick finish and is very tough to hold onto.

www.ironmind.com

Yup - I have a buncha hex DBs and it’s a great grip exercise to grab them by the end and try to hold on. It’s cheating to have any of the fingers on the numbers and particularly difficult if you don’t spread the fingers around the head.

There will be a test…

2008-3-31

Dips
BWX10
BW+50x5
BW+75x5
BW+100x3
BW+130X1,1,1,1 (Weight PR)

1-Arm Db Rows
85x10
105x5
125x5
145x3
162.5x1,1,1,1 (weight PR)

1-Arm DB Press
65x5
75x5
(R)85x5,5 (Rep PR)
(L)85x5,4,3 (ditto)

Wide Grip Chins (pronated)
BW+65x5,5

Done!

Rock on with the PR’s!

[quote]The Pencil Neck wrote:
Rock on with the PR’s![/quote]

Thanks PN.

Now if I could just get my danged squat up…

Where the hell did those stars come from?

I experimented with the rating link at the top of the page and gave you 5 stars. I guess it only takes one person’s rating to get you your stars…