Skeptical, Could this Help Fat Loss?

Hi Guy’s
I was hoping that the scientific element among you could help?

The other day one of the ladies I train came in with a leaflet (website is www.hypoxitraining.com) asking me why we couldn’t get some of this equipment, before I even looked at the leaflet I was mumbling about scams and telling her to stick to the programme I had done for her. However after looking at the website I see they claim that scientific studies back up their products I’m still far from convinced though.

Let me know what you think, is there even the slightest bit of truth in any of this?

Many Thanks in advance BJ

i’ve take a brief look at that web,
they’ve written there:

“The resultant increased blood supply and circulation causes concentrated fat breakdown to take place in precisely the cellulite and fat prone areas of the hips, thighs and buttocks.
Without the Hypoxi Trainer, these areas would never be reached.
With the Hypoxi system you are cycling at a rate that encourages fat use as the primary fuel (as opposed to carbohydrates). This training rate is guided by a heart-rate strap around your chest linked to the cycle trainer, which varies the resistance to keep you in a certain heart-rate band. So the fat becomes accessible to the muscles as a fuel and, as the muscles require fuel, the combination is the aspect that gives the system merit.”

Questions:

1. Are they telling us Squat can’t increase circulation in those fat prone areas???

2. they just target hips, thighs & buttocks. so, where is abs? is that funny if they can make your whole lower body lose fat and look good, but you’ll still have a lot of fat around your waist???

3. maintain certain heart-rate for fat burning? that’s nothing new, just like those index graph on the treadmill or cycling machine.

4. spot reduction? that’s a myth, as a lot of coach agree.

5. how about diet? if you eat a lot of shxt, that machine can help you lose all those unwanted bodyfat??

in my view, these so call “high-tech” things come & go very fast, so, stick to the basics and you should see results.

Hi Monster
I agree with everything you’ve said. I was at work when I got these details and haven’t had a chance to really look at the site in detail but they mention comparing to regular fat burning activities, I bet that doesn’t include 20 rep squats!! It probably includes no weight training what so ever.

I guess I’m being somewhat lazy and asking other people to do my homework for me but this lady is used to me banging on about how lifting weights is the best way to reshape the body, if she and others read the reponses here it might just be enough for them to see this as being another money making scam.

Thanks again BJ

you’re welcome, BJ.

you’re just come to the right place, because this forum is make for exchanging information to help people.

i’ve miss one thing,

as i remember, there are some articles in T-Nation, the writer quote some study interesting:

when people pay the money for a special supplement(eg. prohormone), in the test, even they’re given just multi-vitamins (like the control group), their can get better result then the control group, and that shows how we “want” the effect can really make our body response…

can you see the point? when people paid for this kind of “new, high-tech” fat-burning machine, they may get result from this psychological effect…they beileve it “must” help them burn more fat…

my english is not very good…hope you can get my point. educate yourself in this web, just like what i did.

stay strong.

I too am skeptical, but I would be interested in researching their assertions.

As an aside, I’ll tell a little story I’ve always heard about spot reduction.

I grew up working with show cattle, and a story I remember hearing is about a certain bull who had fatty pin bones, or hip bones. So the story goes that to spot reduce the blubber on this bull, Grandpa, or Dad I really can’t remember who’s story this is, rolled the layer of flab between their fingers, hard and for a prolonged time, before the bull went to the ring on show day. Now, I view this with some suspicion, but I guess I don’t find it entirely unreasonable. Could this working out in a vacuum chamber be a similar mechanism? I don’t know.

I would like to say, however, that even if it works, it’s kind of rediculous, as most folks with buttery asses are pretty nasty all over and don’t need spot reduction anyway, they need systemic reduction. Anyway, my two cents…

[quote]conorh wrote:

As an aside, I’ll tell a little story I’ve always heard about spot reduction.

I grew up working with show cattle, and a story I remember hearing is about a certain bull who had fatty pin bones, or hip bones. So the story goes that to spot reduce the blubber on this bull, Grandpa, or Dad I really can’t remember who’s story this is, rolled the layer of flab between their fingers, hard and for a prolonged time, before the bull went to the ring on show day. Now, I view this with some suspicion, but I guess I don’t find it entirely unreasonable. Could this working out in a vacuum chamber be a similar mechanism? I don’t know.

Nice Story Conorh, it’s kind of poetic that it concerns (a) bull.