Skater's Quads

Same reason I’m 5’5’ with 16in calves on a 8in ankle despite never doing calf work. Activity defines body type. Skaters and cyclists do countless repetitions over years of training which hammer their quads. You want big calves? Go run up a hill. Go sprint. Do some long cross-country running.

Alan

… or you could just do calf raises :b

Ya…but I hear stories from lotsopeople who get nada from calf raises. I also hear stories about Olympic Lifters who get massive calves…again simply due to the nature of the activity (lots of exploding up on the toes). Hell, I’ve gotten sore calves from squatting before…:slight_smile:

Again, we’re just talking about why certain athletes have a large muscle without really doing anything in the weight room to isolate that muscle.

Alan

I totally appreciate that, though I think it should be pointed out that if I wanted legs like Hoy (which I do at this point), I would not train like he does, simply because it would require me to train like a damn pro athlete.
If I wanted big calves, I wouldn’t run up hills, if nothing more than the fact that it would interfere with my goals.
I’d do squats and calf raises.

Agree.