T Nation

Size Without Weights

I’m just curious what the best way for me to develop my chest size without the use of the usual weights would use, i dont really have enough cash to get to a gym or to buy my own so im curious as to what i should try doing to gain size, be it pushups or other stuff like that, or even certain job type things that hit home on the chest, anythins appreciated

Can’t you go to your highschool gym?

look up weighted and body weight exercises

YMCA

Surely dancing is more cardio?

Get on some linoleum floor, in a push-up position. Put your hands on two seperate towels. This will allow them to slide. Now slide your hands out, then in, then out, then in… This is like a bodyweight fly, and will target the chest directly.

Barring that, you can do push-up doubles. Doubles are when you do 1 1/2 reps, and for push-ups targetting the chest, you want to double up on the top half of the movement (fuller contraction). Really put a squeeze in your chest, at the very top. You’ll feel it. I like to do these incline (feet elevated), with my hands directly under my pecs, elbows out.

A good following movement to these are close grip chin-ups. Grab the chin-up bar with an underhanded grip, and push your elbows together as you perform the movement. This will really target the clavicular portion of your chest quite nicely.

After all that, you can do isometric chest squeezes, pressing your hands together. Or cross your arms over in front of your body, and squeeze that chest. Crossing the arms (near the elbows) gives the fullest contraction. Good luck.

There are a lot of great bodyweight exercises out there that will help you get fit and stronger.

You may even add some size but nothing replaces weight training for adding serious size.

Of course nothing will work if you don’t eat enough.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
YMCA[/quote]

My local Y is actually more than a few gyms here. We have some stacked gym here for $10 a month and $15 a month. Our Y is about $35 a month.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Professor X wrote:
YMCA

My local Y is actually more than a few gyms here. We have some stacked gym here for $10 a month and $15 a month. Our Y is about $35 a month.[/quote]

But it’s more fun to stay at the YMCA.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
PGA200X wrote:
Professor X wrote:
YMCA

My local Y is actually more than a few gyms here. We have some stacked gym here for $10 a month and $15 a month. Our Y is about $35 a month.

But it’s more fun to stay at the YMCA.[/quote]

LOL.

I have been hearing that they have raised their prices. When I wen before I could afford a real membership, they would let us in real cheap…but the facilities weren’t very good. I’ve seen one lately more equipped than a 24 Hour Fitness.

Either way, I would look real hard for a gym somewhere (even if it were at a high school) before I gave up and tried to make progress from just push ups.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Professor X wrote:
YMCA

My local Y is actually more than a few gyms here. We have some stacked gym here for $10 a month and $15 a month. Our Y is about $35 a month.[/quote]

Even the YMCA is cheap in comparison to the Lifetime Fitness where I work, they charge $120 per month there!

[quote]cdaff6 wrote:
I’m just curious what the best way for me to develop my chest size without the use of the usual weights would use, i dont really have enough cash to get to a gym or to buy my own so im curious as to what i should try doing to gain size, be it pushups or other stuff like that, or even certain job type things that hit home on the chest, anythins appreciated[/quote]

WTF!! In your prior post (08-09-06), you write about lifting and training. Now, you don’t have a gym to work out in. It’s hard to believe that there isn’t a single weight set in your high school. This is part of your prior post. I don’t understand.:

I couldnt tell you that i am experianced in this weightlifting department because i am indeed lifting with a drive to compete better in those three sports and not in lifting as a sport itself. apoligies if this post is a newbish question, but id rather ask a stupid question to someone who knows, than try to answer it myself.

So my question is does a 16 year old kid continue to pack on the weight to get more muscle, or start to lean out now.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Our Y is about $35 a month.[/quote]

So is ours. However, I have a hard time believing that a high school kid can’t scrounge that up. I mean shit, crackheads do it all the time.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
PGA200X wrote:
Our Y is about $35 a month.

So is ours. However, I have a hard time believing that a high school kid can’t scrounge that up. I mean shit, crackheads do it all the time.[/quote]

When I was in high school I played 3 sports and worked on the weekends at the golf course. So you’re right, its possible. Unless the kid is under 15.